+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Various Dimensions of Corruption in Ghana

Default The Various Dimensions of Corruption in Ghana

In a class of fifty the son of the soldier was the last but one student in the exams and the son of the policeman came last. The soldier's son started crying whiles the son of the policeman walked without fear. The son of the soldier lamented that his daddy will kick him around and give him some dirty slaps when he gets home but the son of the police started laughing and told his friend that all he needs to do is to put one Ghana cedi in his report card and his father will not punish him.

I have talked to some of Ghanaians and it will interest you to know that about 90% believes that when we talk about corruption in Ghana then we are talking about politicians. I blame the politicians for that because in an attempt to win an election they paint themselves black thus making the average Ghanaian believe that they are the most corrupt people in Ghana.

I want to assure you my fellow country men that if our politicians were the only corrupt in our society then corruption will not be a major issue in Ghana because they form only a small proportion of our country's population but the issue is that corruption is now in every segment of our society being it the home, the church, schools, on the road, at the market places, and our work places

Financial Corruption

This is the most visible type of corruption in our society. It manifest it self in various ways. These include a person demanding money before he renders a service which is his duty, embezzlement which is normally associated with our politicians, collecting money before giving employment among others.

Academic Corruption

It is normally in our schools and affects the character of the types of leaders we will have in future. These include a head of an institution demanding money before he admits a student, exchanging money with grades, Students or parents buying exams questions, parents buying off teachers etc.

Spiritual Corruption

This type of corruption is normally in our religious institutions but after my research I can confidently say that the worse culprits here is our churches. The bible clearly states that the gift of God was given to his people free and therefore His prophets must also give it out freely. But the reality is that some christian churhes are now selling the gift of God and the prices are purely determined by the price mechanism. Churches are now grading prayers based on prices, arranging seats in churches based on financial positions, visiting church members based on the amount of petrol you can donate the the paster. O my God the poor is really suffering at the church because of spirtual corruption. We will meet God on this type of curruption because its a sin against the Holy spirit.

Sexual Corruption

This is a disrespect to womanhood and shows how cheap some men can be. Some competent women are unemployed now because they failed to offer their bodies in exchange for work whiles some incompetent, disrespectful and dull women are employed now because they are prepared to offer their bodies for anything. Some lecturers and teachers are sleeping with girls for grades. Any time a woman exchanges her body for a favour it is what I call sexual corruption and it is killing our society now by spreading HIV/AIDs, incompetence and indiscipline.

Fellow country men let us reflect on these dimensions of corruption, see where we fall short and ask the good Lord for forgiveness and strength to overcome it. Lets stop pointing our fingers to only our politicians and try hard to fight corruption from our offices, homes, churches, communities and all segments of our society. It begins with one's self because if you decide to stop we have reduced corruption by one, if I decide to stop we have reduced it by two .................God Bless You All and God Bless Our Homeland Ghana.

Oh my brother, a very good post. Only marred by the last paragraph, which seeks to express that the sins of corruption can be cured by God if we ask for forgiveness. Rather, we should focus on practical solutions that work. Morality is a case point here but corruption is also largely stimulated by poverty.

How do we convince a Police man on low income with kids to feed to stop taking bribes? How can we reasonably assure the single mother who who has no job that aside from prostitution there are other ways to make ends meet? How can we convince the deluded church goer that the pastor is not a gift from God and cannot solve all their problems?

As we can see, a cocktail of factors come into interplay as core determinants of corruption. I don't believe corruption can be fully eradicated , but with little education here and there we can move forward and recognize that, selfishness, greed and avarice are not the best tools for building a good society.

A very good write up and thanks again for sharing.

Super Moderator Pope Bitterz D'Alomo's Avatar

The afore mentioned determinants of corruption are valid however aren't they globally profound ?
    Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. ~Aesop

Ignorance can be educated,drunkenness sobered,craziness medicated but there is no cure for STUPIDITY

BBoy T

How do we convince a Police man on low income with kids to feed to stop taking bribes? How can we reasonably assure the single mother who who has no job that aside from prostitution there are other ways to make ends meet? How can we convince the deluded church goer that the pastor is not a gift from God and cannot solve all their problems?
    Need I say more ? You nailed it all.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information