+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is the judiciary corrupt?

Default Is the judiciary corrupt?

Is the judiciary worth a discussion?
    Are ghanaians ready for a judicial Change/shake up?
    Is the opposition party dealing with the substantive issue or playing political game?

When it comes to our judiciary system in Ghana, there is a lot to be desired, even though its not the worst in the world. The same lackadaisical attitude that we have in most government instituitions in Ghana is in the judiciary system as well but just discussing it I believe won't make much of a difference since we won't be the first to do so. A lot of discussions go on and plans are formulated but implementation is a whole different ball game.

We will need more than just a change or shake up in the system to make a difference.....our attitude as a people need to be changed towards the system, a lot of education needs to be done for the masses concerning how things should work in the system. Most people have no idea concerning their rights as citizens when it comes to the system....some who also know are abusing it.

The "whom you know" plague in Ghana is another big disadvantage; when one commits a crime that he/she needs to be punished, someone he/she knows or a relative who knows an uncle of a friend, etc etc will be contacted to work something out & then in the long run....the right justice is not served. I heard of a story that happened sometime about two weeks ago in a part of Accra where a taxi cab driver assaulted a police officer..infact he really beat up the officer apparently because the officer didn't allow him pick up some passengers when he hadn't made no sales for that day. The guy was taken to the police station and before evening he was being released because a call came through from a higher place to the station to allow him go. The driver's family as was later learn't had a whole lot of them in the police force and so one in a higher position had called for his release. In this case, how will such a person ever respect the system, he knows he can be able to get away with any thing.

Is the opposition party dealing with the substantive issue or playing political game?
    When it comes to politics & the judiciary system, it gets a bit comical because things that one party will say when they are in power will not be the same tune they'll be singing when they are in opposition. Until they learn to take issues and address them as it comes and not politicise every thing...we got a long wayyyyyyyyy to go.
    Last edited by CuTiEbABy; 19th August 2010 at 03:50 PM.

I doubt if there has been enough discussion on this matter. The government has to sit with opposition devoid of parliamentary members to discuss the way forward. The opposition may choose not encourage the discussion for political reason. It seems the government is always at wrong no matter how hard they try to correct the system.

Like you said, our mentality is a liability to the progress of the state. Kwame Nkrumah was right in suggesting africans have to change their ways to effect the growth of Africa. Personally, i don't think the judiciary is ready and would ever be. Sorry about my opinion, i don't think change/shakeup will ever take place if politicians are not seperated from the judiciary.

To win political points, is beneficial to the opposition party to avoid dealing with substentive issues rather to link Comments and Actions to matters that will not promulgate growth in any form. This is because the leaders - government or opposition - knows the illiteracy level is high enough for people to not being able to read between the lines.

Interesting perspectives from both of you. Two important points ring true for me. Separation of powers and a paradigm shift in our way of thinking. Factor these into our system and advancement will be assured.

separation of powers all ready exist.... the ppl in the institution need proper shaking to wake them up.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information