+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Abedi Pele Can not Be Deemed The Best Ever On the Continent of Africa

Super Moderator Pope Bitterz D'Alomo's Avatar

Default Abedi Pele Can not Be Deemed The Best Ever On the Continent of Africa

Ex-Ghana international Nii Odartey Lamptey has waged into the debate by claiming legend Abedi Pele cannot be rated as the continent’s finest player ever.

The bold assertion by ex-Aston Villa and Coventry City player could risk angering the three-time African footballer of the Year.

Ex-Bayern Munich defender Sammy Kuffuor was the first to start the debate when he stated categorically the Marseille legend was not among the top two best African players.

But Lamptey agrees with his former national team-mate and insists Liberia idol George Oppong Weah and four-time African Player of the Year Samuel Eto’o Fils should be considered for such plaudits.

He said: “I will tip George yes, Eto second and ‘Maestro’ (Abedi Pele) third.

“Because if you see George Weah, I mean European Footballer of the Year award winner, World Footballer of the Year winner. Eto’o has won the Africa Player of the Year four times. I think I will give it for all these guys.”

“Eto’o is always good in a team. The quality of your team-mates brings out your qualities. He’s not a good dribbler but quick on the ball and the good finisher.”

Abedi Pele has always been considered by many as the second greatest African footballer of all time.

Source: MTNFootball.com
    Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. ~Aesop

Ignorance can be educated,drunkenness sobered,craziness medicated but there is no cure for STUPIDITY

I dont know if this is a joke or some cheap sh*t! Eto shouldn't be put in the same catagory as Abedi and Weah. Nonsense!

I thought I was going to hear Akwasi Appiah and some old Ghanaian legends and this is the nonsense names that come up? Weah, ok but still, most Africans remember Abedi because they know there will be no player like him on the continent.
    When one loses the deep intimate relationship with nature, then temples, mosques and churches become important.
    .........Jiddu Krishnamurti

Super Moderator Pope Bitterz D'Alomo's Avatar

Well i never saw much of Abedi but I saw much of Weah since my dad was a huge Milan fan when he took off his United shirt. He had so many tapes of Weah during his Monaco and Milan days and for that, I will agree with most that Weah stands tall among the rest.

Comparing Eto'O to Abedi with regards to achievements Eto'O rules ! I mean looking at his body of work at Barcelona,Mallorca and Inter. Abedi may be all skill but Eto'O is a clinical finisher plus he's won the CAF best 4x,won continental trebles, etc etc etc.

It's all about opinions though.
    Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. ~Aesop

Ignorance can be educated,drunkenness sobered,craziness medicated but there is no cure for STUPIDITY

Pope, Eto's so called awards are nonfa (no brainer). The African player of the year is a joke. I don't know if you remember when Diof of Senegal won. It seems to be awarded to strikers only and French speaking players most. Osei Kuffour and a good player like Essien haven't won it before. Why? They haven't scored enough goals. Eto's 4th win was purely on European basis. What has he done for Cameroon football? Cameroon's world cup was worst than any other African country's performance. Now they didn't qualify for African cup.

Abedi's talent is one of those untouchable talents, like Maradona and Pele's talents are to the world. They are on a different level. Its not about awards. If it was then Messi is better than Pele and Maradona put together.

Weah was good but Abedi was like a one man team. He was always a force, running through defenders like they were not there. The guy was on a different level. Its a shame that you never saw him play. Heeeeer, what a player.

I would also say its all about opinions but you gotta watch matches to see for yourself
    When one loses the deep intimate relationship with nature, then temples, mosques and churches become important.

here are some of the opinions on ghanaweb http://discussions.ghanaweb.com/viewtopic.php?t=139128

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information