+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is Piracy an Issue ?

Default Is Piracy an Issue ?

hey all, i really need to ask. Do you agree that piracy is an issue to the future of the entertainment industry?

Should issues like morality, revenue and gradual seriousness be overweighed by simply the temptation of convenience, substantial costs and simplicity of piracy?

Or should it instead be revered as the more important factor?

feedback will be appreciated!

Ethics affirms the worth, dignity and autonomy of the individual and the right of every human being to the greatest possible freedom compatible with the rights of others. We have built economic systems that safeguard these rights. If I work at producing something (art, music, literature, software, automobiles or bagels) with the expectation that those who wish to benefit from by efforts will provide me with an agreed upon benefit (usually money), that is my right. Because my product is easy to steal or is part of a collective effort, does not change the ethics of violating that right, does it?

I will approach the question of piracy cautiously. Stealing something from someone is obviously wrong. Taking something from someone else for your own personal gain would be considered immoral by most people. However, when it comes to illegally downloading music, software, movies and games from the Internet, the topic becomes a little bit more debatable.

The reason why most people say that it isn't the same as stealing something in "real life" is because when you download a song or a movie, you aren't actually taking anything away from anyone else. The company that owns the rights to whatever it is you're downloading doesn't actually lose anything.

As for it being a problem in the future of the entertainment industry, i'll say piracy will continue to happen as long s the risk of getting caught remains so low and the amount of content available for free is so limitless.

Super Moderator Pope Bitterz D'Alomo's Avatar

Society has almost totally ignored the free alternatives, because pirated products are so easy to obtain. This is slowly changing, as copyright protections become more sophisticated.Piracy will never stop completely, but there are certain points that really "get my goat".

Although the government is trying to reduce the amount of piracy, who's to say that it doesn't have its benefits? I mean paying way too much to see already wealthy actors and actresses isn't worth it, after having waited months for the movie to come out on DVD, if it even does.

I understand the need for all the laws on piracy however, so long as technology continues to evolve, so will people continue to seek "free" stuff and piracy will still be here in the future, by then,there will be streamlined laws to address the problem.
    Last edited by Pope Bitterz D'Alomo; 12th August 2010 at 07:42 AM.
    Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. ~Aesop

Ignorance can be educated,drunkenness sobered,craziness medicated but there is no cure for STUPIDITY

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information