+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: book club??

Default book club??

well all interested, we can start with this book .....

Hunger Games

summary:
    Twenty-four are forced to enter. Only the winner survives. In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Each year, the districts are forced by the Capitol to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the Hunger Games, a brutal and terrifying fight to the death - televised for all of Panem to see.

Survival is second nature for sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who struggles to feed her mother and younger sister by secretly hunting and gathering beyond the fences of District 12. When Katniss steps in to take the place of her sister in the Hunger Games, she knows it may be her death sentence. If she is to survive, she must weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

WINNING WILL MAKE YOU FAMOUS. LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.

at ur nearest library for all interested ....

ps: the suggestion of another book rather than this is also gravy ... something to get the ball rolling
    statistics are what other people have chosen to make real.

i prefer african novels

Quote Originally Posted by Chapati View Post
    i prefer african novels
    me de3 firi ho ko lolololol ......

ok propose an african novel and lets proceed form there

Super Moderator Pope Bitterz D'Alomo's Avatar

I've been looking for the e-book version of the novel 'haven't gotten it yet but count me in Quophi. As for Chaps don't mind her and her African novel whatchumacall it LOL
    Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. ~Aesop

Ignorance can be educated,drunkenness sobered,craziness medicated but there is no cure for STUPIDITY

Quote Originally Posted by Pope Bitterz D'Alomo View Post
    I've been looking for the e-book version of the novel 'haven't gotten it yet but count me in Quophi. As for Chaps don't mind her and her African novel whatchumacall it LOL
    u can get it at a library but here u go pope

http://www.mediafire.com/?vn2jkjznzyl ....

Quote Originally Posted by Quophi Aletse View Post
    u can get it at a library but here u go pope

http://www.mediafire.com/?vn2jkjznzyl ....
    Thanks bro.

Ignorance can be educated,drunkenness sobered,craziness medicated but there is no cure for STUPIDITY

normally not my cup o tea but Imma check it out today at the library =)

for an african novel, I would recommend EXCHANGE IS NOT ROBBERY (its an imagined biography of a nicelegs girl in Ghana) I forget the name of the author but its bombastic

all go to the same place ;all come from dust and to the dust all return. who knows if the human spirit rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?
    ecclesiastes 3:20-21 :-x

So far so good. Quophi, the method of putting the teenagers names multiple times in the reaping for tesserae is what caught me wondering.' Will be back later when i'm done. I'm loving it.
    Last edited by Pope Bitterz D'Alomo; 24th April 2011 at 08:20 AM.

So far so good. Quophi, the method of putting the teenagers names multiple times in the reaping for tesserae is what caught me wondering.' Will be back later when i'm done. I'm loving it.
    the suspense in the book is too much to put it down .....
    Last edited by Pope Bitterz D'Alomo; 24th April 2011 at 08:20 AM.

Ok, i am in

ok so structures are established in society ....... unfair structures that depend on haves and have-not for its very survival.... children are brought into this world and inherit the class of their parents, in the case of the book, the district as a class of their parents ...... and participate within the confinements of that districts ....

majority of people are programmed to participate in violent competitions and survival of the fittest games by structures of society..... this brings the worst out of human beings in general which the structures of society in turn inform the people that human nature is to be blamed for their(societal structures/institutions) programming....

this is the parallel i got/im getting from this book .....

In reality such unfortunate scenes,ie The Reaping, are re-enacted indirectly by children who by no fault of their are made to bear the brunt of society's injustices.

As portrayed by the mayor, the cowardly and selfish nature of the so called authority figures in the totalitarian community would rather condone the evils,become marionettes always ready to be manipulated by the powers that be than stand up to the puppet master.

I wonder why there's nobody crazy enough to stand against the institution ?

Quophi what's your take on this idea- that there is a possibility of having the concept of the Hunger Games although we're dealing with a dystopian novel(if i may call it so)unravel somewhere in the near future considering our present economic crisis ?
    Last edited by Pope Bitterz D'Alomo; 25th April 2011 at 07:51 PM.

In reality such unfortunate scenes,ie The Reaping, are re-enacted indirectly by children who by no fault of their are made to bear the brunt of society's injustices.

As portrayed by the mayor, the cowardly and selfish nature of the so called authority figures in the totalitarian community would rather condone the evils,become marionettes always ready to be manipulated by the powers that be than stand up to the puppet master.

I wonder why there's nobody crazy enough to stand against the institution ?

Quophi what's your take on this idea- that there is a possibility of having the concept of the Hunger Games although we're dealing with a dystopian novel(if i may call it so)unravel somewhere in the near future considering our present economic crisis ?
    well it is a possibility but the future is never set in stone ..... but if it keeps goin on like this .... the current energy the world is stuck in collectively(changes are happening though) keeps evolving ... our kids will do horrible things beyond our imagination ....

ok so next book .... the novel fashion yaa recommended????

Peeta and Katniss' "staged star crossed lovers" dynamic is interesting. It's also reflective of the pretentious nature most relationships are built on. Like in a popular saying, " Everybody wants something from everybody"

ok so next book .... the novel fashion yaa recommended????
    I couldn't find the e-book version so i've had the book put on hold at my local library. 'will get to it when it's ready for pick up.

There is a free Kindle Reading app for this book.....according to Amazon....okay, sounds good. EXCHANGE IS NOT ROBBERY is written by John M Chernoff. The cover has a woman smiling with eyes closed and possibly lying on a bed but its not obvious because only half of her face shows.
    Last edited by Fashion Yaa; 9th June 2011 at 06:39 AM.

all go to the same place ;all come from dust and to the dust all return. who knows if the human spirit rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?

The book takes a perculiar look at the streetsmarts of an immigrant woman who chooses unconventionaly work in Ghana.

something u guys nice u guys got goin on here
    When one loses the deep intimate relationship with nature, then temples, mosques and churches become important.
    .........Jiddu Krishnamurti

There are countless unforgettable moments in this book.A few which got me in stitches was the protagonists-Hawa's squabble with Woman which was beyond hilarious although her grievances were serious and reasonable.Then there is this other dialogue between Hawa and the boy who needed Hawa's "technical know-how on abortion that too was a killer ! Moreso, the writer having chosen to write the whole novel as was spoken by the main character makes the book a laugh riot.

Fashionista, thanks for recommending this book. I'll be reading Hustling Is Not Stealing next.

i just got Hustinglin is not Stealing, it too a long time to arrive....in any case Im glad you like the series!!!!
    There are countless unforgettable moments in this book.A few which got me in stitches was the protagonists-Hawa's squabble with Woman which was beyond hilarious although her grievances were serious and reasonable.Then there is this other dialogue between Hawa and the boy who needed Hawa's "technical know-how on abortion that too was a killer ! Moreso, the writer having chosen to write the whole novel as was spoken by the main character makes the book a laugh riot.

Fashionista, thanks for recommending this book. I'll be reading Hustling Is Not Stealing next.

Fashionista,the books are just exhilarating. The author's style of writing is interesting. LOVE IT !

Pope I agree, I am close to finishing Hustlin is Not Stealing and I must say its even better the second time around, I realize what complex creatures we Ghanaians are.

Pope since this is the prequal to Exchange is Not Robbery, i dont wanna be the spoiler til you get your hands on it as well. What is great is that Chernoff provides a lot of his annotated dissertations right in the begining of the book so as not to give the reader an impression that when Hawa is downtrodden.....for instance when she laughs at being "spoiled" by an Indian man in Kumasi or when she leaves her polygamous marraige or when she brings several SEVERAL lodging of complaints against "jons" who either beat her up or refused to pay due to her unwillingness to perform "deviant sex"(blowjobs) to teh Ghana police service-who actually stand up for her and successfully ensure she gets her pay(especially in cases where the jon is a Lebanese)....whew....in any case I find that the dissertations will help the non-acclaimated reader of Ghanaian ways.

Does this make sues Pope? Do you too feel that the citations in Exchange is Not Robbery were helpful?

'Makes a lot of sense Fashionista. For me, EINR is hilarious yet awful in terms of the experiences of the protagonist. Talk about Hawa's ashawo exploits for example whiles Chernoff's style of writing paints a vivid picture of the horrible life of a prostitute he still manages to draw the reader into the social life of the african community in a cunningly funny way.

The citations were very very helpful especially for readers like me who have little or no knowledge about some of the cultures and lingos addressed in the book. I never knew there was something called "small father ,junior father and Senior father" haha

well all interested, we can start with this book .....

Hunger Games

summary:
    Twenty-four are forced to enter. Only the winner survives. In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Each year, the districts are forced by the Capitol to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the Hunger Games, a brutal and terrifying fight to the death - televised for all of Panem to see.

Survival is second nature for sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who struggles to feed her mother and younger sister by secretly hunting and gathering beyond the fences of District 12. When Katniss steps in to take the place of her sister in the Hunger Games, she knows it may be her death sentence. If she is to survive, she must weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

WINNING WILL MAKE YOU FAMOUS. LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.

at ur nearest library for all interested ....

ps: the suggestion of another book rather than this is also gravy ... something to get the ball rolling
    '

This book is coming to the silver screen in 2012

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information