+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Powder Necklace by Nana Akua Brew-Hammond

Default Powder Necklace by Nana Akua Brew-Hammond

Through shear accident while searching for the Miss Ghana Porcelin Doll created to look like Stephanie KariKari, I found this treasure....I just ordered it and will let you know how it is...it already sounds like a winner =)

Last edited by Fashion Yaa; 28th March 2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Her name is Ekua with an "E" not an A oops my mistake arrghh!!!

all go to the same place ;all come from dust and to the dust all return. who knows if the human spirit rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?
    ecclesiastes 3:20-21 :-x

Its a book about a girl that gets moved between(divorced) parents between three seperate countries(Ghana, UK, USA) based on when they acquire a new wife/husband.
    Last edited by Fashion Yaa; 28th March 2011 at 08:54 PM. Reason: at Amazon they have it as continents, again, corrected just to clarify =)

all go to the same place ;all come from dust and to the dust all return. who knows if the human spirit rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?

yaa fahionista(thanks pope lol),

supply some of the main elements of this book when u finish it or as u go along on here .....

and seeing how u love reading ... we can start a book club(which i think 1 was started here but went to the dogs lol) and discuss the content of the book.....
    statistics are what other people have chosen to make real.

Okay Quophi Aleste, I will do that....the book should arrive in about 5days time and I'll be posting nuggests from it =) great idea on the book club...by all means lets resusitate it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Quophi Aletse View Post
    yaa fahionista(thanks pope lol),

supply some of the main elements of this book when u finish it or as u go along on here .....

and seeing how u love reading ... we can start a book club(which i think 1 was started here but went to the dogs lol) and discuss the content of the book.....
    I totally agree with you Quophi. A book club will be awesome!

Super Moderator Pope Bitterz D'Alomo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    I totally agree with you Quophi. A book club will be awesome!
    I'm all in. Let's get it done !
    Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. ~Aesop

Ignorance can be educated,drunkenness sobered,craziness medicated but there is no cure for STUPIDITY

Quote Originally Posted by Fashion Yaa View Post
    Through shear accident while searching for the Miss Ghana Porcelin Doll created to look like Stephanie KariKari, I found this treasure....I just ordered it and will let you know how it is...it already sounds like a winner =)

How about sharing the order link, please?

Gracias!
    We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality. Einstein

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose". Elliot

Character is higher than intellect. ~Emerson

“The best thing I have is the knife from Fatal Attraction. I hung it in my kitchen. It's my way of saying, Don't mess with me.”
    Glenn
    Great Spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    Einstein

:

The book has been out since 2010 and was published by Simon & Schuster(very very big publishing house). You can order it from Barnes and Noble, Amazon, AbeBooks or even ReadWide in GH.....believe me, this book has wide distribution.

fashion yaa .... have u read any of Gabriel García Márquez' novels? .....
    what are some of the novels u have read that u rate very high .....

Okay the book just arrived....I am stocked because she dedicated the book to
    For anyone who's ever felt she couldn't hold her head up high-but mostly for my family who raised me to hold up mine...no matter what.
    enough said, the first chapter and the prologue shows the main character's(Lila) emotional struggle with her father finding another wife and expecting her to consider her the new mum. Then the inescapable desire to please her mum by doing everything she can to make her happy such as having bad mind towards her father, certain family members and not questioning why the two parents aren't together in the first place.

Please, if you have purchased the book or intend to, post some of your comments here and lets get this Book Club On and Poppin'!!!

I find Nana Efua Brew-Hammond's writing style to be very British, for instance vernacular like "Mum" is used and there's hardly any apostrophied words. In reading the prologue and first chapter you'd never guess that these are thoughts of a little girl which I like because it showed that Lila had to grow up fast since the shattering of her family structure.
    Last edited by Fashion Yaa; 1st April 2011 at 07:43 PM.

I hope you saw the other post I started for you Quophi Aletse :} I do have a memory of Advanced Placement students at my high school make a lot of noise about One Hundred Years of Solitude....please start a thread on this great man's work...I plan to read any books you recommend by him though, so thanks
    fashion yaa .... have u read any of Gabriel García Márquez' novels? .....
    what are some of the novels u have read that u rate very high .....

I hope you saw the other post I started for you Quophi Aletse :} I do have a memory of Advanced Placement students at my high school make a lot of noise about One Hundred Years of Solitude....please start a thread on this great man's work...I plan to read any books you recommend by him though, so thanks
    i have read a hundred years of solitude ...... not a bad book ...... but too much information in there can make one forget earlier details that makes the linking up of all the chapters covers much more refined and in depth ....

still one of the best novels i have read .....

Ohhh weee those are my steez Quophi....if you read my earlier posts, you probably saw my review of The Hemings's of Montecello by Annette Gordon Reade, it too has a smorgishborg of info so I think I will read a hundred years of solitude after finishing powder necklace. THanks =)
    i have read a hundred years of solitude ...... not a bad book ...... but too much information in there can make one forget earlier details that makes the linking up of all the chapters covers much more refined and in depth ....

still one of the best novels i have read .....

I have not written in a while because the book is very emotional for me to read, would you believe Im just barely finishing page 38/280 ....here is a memorable quote from the book, the main charactor Lila has arrived in Kumasi after her mum sends her off

on passing roadside businesses. ONLY JESUS, one lorry evangelized...Thy Will Be Done Hair Salon...In Ghana[religion]spilled into every crevice of life like a soft drink that had been shaken before its cap was twisted off. Its contents had sprayed liquid sugar glue everywhere. This wasn't even religion, I decided. It was faith. Only faith could see God in the shoe- and car-eating red dirt roads, the .....Only faith could wake up early to go to church and praise God amid all that.
    Last edited by Fashion Yaa; 8th April 2011 at 11:25 PM.

I have not written in a while because the book is very emotional for me to read, would you believe Im just barely finishing page 38/280 ....here is a memorable quote from the book, the main charactor Lila has arrived in Kumasi after her mum sends her off

lololol nice quote .... but wat has transpired so far in the book ..... ??

Lila was getting intimidated by area boys in her London neighborhood so a good friend of her's started walking her home and at the same time she let him hang out in her house. She never told her mum about any of this and when her mum came home to find this boy in her house, all hell broke loose. Her mum immidiately made arrangements for Lila to go to Ghana for fear that she could become promiscuous.
    Last edited by Fashion Yaa; 9th April 2011 at 03:21 AM.

Lila was getting intimidated by area boys in her London neighborhood so a good friend of her's started walking her home and at the same time she let me hang out in her house. She never told her mum about any of this and when her mum came home to find this boy in her house, all hell broke loose. Her mum immidiately made arrangements for Lila to go to Ghana for fear that she could become promiscuous.
    ...lololol sound interesting ..... no more from you fashon yaa .... will read it

=] it was funny reading that part for me as well, I look forward to you reading it as well Quophi Aleste.....after reading this Im gonna read the new unauthorized biography of Malcom X written by a historian who recently passed away....any way lets keep up this book club

alright, I'll pipe down for a while but she re-named one of the famous Ghanaian schools founded by Nkrumah as "Dadaba Secondary School" and laments that many of the students at Ghana International School are being raised athiests......its a page turner FOR SURE
    ...lololol sound interesting ..... no more from you fashon yaa .... will read it

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information