+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can anyone recommend a good Intro to Psych book

Default Can anyone recommend a good Intro to Psych book

Im in bad need of advice or even a tutor to help me ace my next Psych exam

all go to the same place ;all come from dust and to the dust all return. who knows if the human spirit rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?
    ecclesiastes 3:20-21 :-x

Quote Originally Posted by Fashion Yaa View Post
    Are you serious? How can you be doing psychology without a recommended book? Something doesn't add up here.. hmm
    When one loses the deep intimate relationship with nature, then temples, mosques and churches become important.
    .........Jiddu Krishnamurti

can u be specific on psych exam u are about to write fashion yaa? ....

Experimental Psychology
    Abnormal Psychology
    Developmental Psychology
    Personality Psychology

........ or u are being test on all the subs areas of psych, a general psych test????

anyways from the many psych classes i have taken, reading the recommended book is enough .....
    statistics are what other people have chosen to make real.

I have the recommended book, read all the required chapters and still managed to only get a mediocore score WHICH PISSED ME OFF, I had to do extra credit to prop back up to an A in the class.

This is why I wanted to read another book to help....I'll be okay thanks though
    Quote Originally Posted by Q' lypse View Post
    Are you serious? How can you be doing psychology without a recommended book? Something doesn't add up here.. hmm

all go to the same place ;all come from dust and to the dust all return. who knows if the human spirit rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?

Its a general psych class. Intro to Psych.

The next exam will be on Sensitivity & Perception, Health Stress & Coping.

Got any thoughts on these topics?

Good looking out in advance .QUOTE=Quophi Aletse;10657]can u be specific on psych exam u are about to write fashion yaa? ....

Experimental Psychology
    Abnormal Psychology
    Developmental Psychology
    Personality Psychology

........ or u are being test on all the subs areas of psych, a general psych test????

anyways from the many psych classes i have taken, reading the recommended book is enough .....[/QUOTE]

Ok I get you now.... You do know that you are asking for a lot of reading right? I have to look for some of my 2nd year text books, I'm hoping to find what I'm looking for, some woman came to borrow like half of them. But I gotta warn you though, my books are usually South African based. If you are in the US, you will be looking at different authors.
    When one loses the deep intimate relationship with nature, then temples, mosques and churches become important.

not to worry, i have membership to several libraries and would not have a hard time finding a copy out here. Good looking out Q

please provide the name and i should be set. if you don't find them well, thanks for trying.....i love to read so its all good

Psychology: from inquiry to understanding

Quote Originally Posted by Table of Contents
    Preface Prologue: How Psychology Became a Science
    Science and Pseudoscience in Psychology: Skills For Thinking Scientifically in Everyday Life
    Research Methods: Safeguards against Error
    Biological Psychology: The Brain Body Communication Superhighway
    Sensation and Perception: How We Sense and Conceptualize the World
    Consciousness: Expanding the Boundaries of Psychological Inquiry
    Learning: How Nurture Changes Us
    Memory: Constructing and Reconstructing Our Pasts
    Language, Thinking, and Reasoning: Getting Inside Our Talking Heads
    Intelligence and IQ Testing: Controversy and Consensus
    Human Development: How and Why We Change
    Emotion and Motivation: What Moves Us
    Stress, Coping, and Health: The Mind Body Interconnection
    Social Psychology: How Others Affect Us
    Personality: Who We Are
    Psychological Disorders: When Adaptation Fails
    Psychological and Biological Treatments: Helping People Change
    References
    Glossary
    Name Index
    Subject Index
    it covers the topics u stated above ....

was looking for a pdf for u but i couldnt because of it being a new addition to general introductory psychology ......

Nice. thanks a million

I just found an instructors version and ordered it so thanks a million Quophi Aleste =)

cheeei quophi and pdf. lol.

Unfortunately I gave my text books to that woman. Yaa eh, you have to do is consider the book quophi has suggested but look through the contents first to see the number of pages the topics you've stated above cover. If they seem shorter than the rest of the topics in the book, its not worth it.

Unfortunately I gave my text books to that woman. Yaa eh, you have to do is consider the book quophi has suggested but look through the contents first to see the number of pages the topics you've stated above cover. If they seem shorter than the rest of the topics in the book, its not worth it.
    lolololol as for me and pdf de3 only god knows ..... i had old psychology books on pdf for the psych classes i took but i lost them when i clean the comp koraa ..... lololol

I just found an instructors version and ordered it so thanks a million Quophi Aleste =)
    yaa u buying the book???? i thought u were going to borrow it at a library .....

anyways how are u being tested on the material, multiple choice or short answers or both....... or essay

Quote Originally Posted by Quophi Aletse View Post
    yaa u buying the book???? i thought u were going to borrow it at a library .....
    p3p33 paa ni lool

Great advice Q'lypse, that is one thing i have noticed about some of the textbooks on Intro to Psych at the library, some go in detail about founding fathers/mothers of the subject while others are theory based. My professor is a bit old school and wants his students to know both....the problem is when he lectures I only get his practice of psychology(he's a Psychiatrist which means he can prescribe drugs to patients) but then on the exam it seemed the book he provided is not a great enough tool

To whichthe prof admits citing that we are only using this book because students complained that his provious required texts have chapters that are too long =/ anyway my mission is to ace this class and Im on my merry way to doing so....so thanks in advance for the advice

p3p33 paa ni lool
    lolol tweaaaaaaa ..... i have about 70% percent of my pdf books in hard cover also

i like the electronic books because i can carry a variety of books with me anywhere with minimal space occupancy which carrying them hard covers will be cumbersome

you are welcome Yaa :-)

Ehi quophi nono lol
    Last edited by Q' lypse; 16th March 2011 at 06:56 PM.

I think i might want to follow that PDF route as well or get a Kindle or Nook or wte...the book arrived 3 days ago and I have to admit its more detailed than my required text and hella cheaper too. but both books are hella heavy to carry....

in any case thanks again

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information