+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trying to clarify my own thinking...The Bible

Default Trying to clarify my own thinking...The Bible

I am looking for input here on whether my thinking is sound or not. From what I have seen here the vast amount proof stated about the existence of "God" Or "Jesus" seems to only be from the bible. This lack of other sources would seem to indicate that it is at best a myth or exaggeration of events that transpired in order to put forth their, meaning the writers, ideas about God. However, from what I have read, the ideas that Christ embodied were not new ideas. That other older societies had the same type of "Saviour" of humanity. That perhaps the "Christianity" of today grew from these older sources and has long since forgotten its roots or these roots have been ignored.

OK thats the first thought on to thought two lol.

The thing that irritates me about Christians is their inane assumption they are right. If there was only one teaching of Christ then why are the so many differing interpretations of the bible by Christians? If the bible was divinely written as most say then why would God allow so many different interpretations? If i was God i know i would want to make damn sure people knew what I meant.
    In my opinion the most they can say, much like science does, is that each religious doctrine is a theory not set in stone and not right, but an interpretation by "MAN" as to the meaning of the bible.

Just had to get that off my chest lol.

If anyone sees any fault with the way I am thinking please let me know. Or if you have suggestions about where I might learn more i would greatly appreciate it. Ciao for now

This lack of other sources ....

Hmmm...
    The Bible, the Greek word for books contains well over 60 books i believe and that is a lot of sources.
    Who better to write an autobiography than the Divine being himself. After all, they cannot bear testimony that do not know Him.

However, from what I have read, the ideas that Christ embodied were not new ideas. That other older societies had the same type of "Saviour" of humanity. That perhaps the "Christianity" of today grew from these older sources and has long since forgotten its roots or these roots have been ignored.

As the bible says, He came that He might fulfill the law. So yess, smthg definitely existed. But why grasp at that which is incomplete. He replaced all other sacrifices to become the ultimate sacrifice.

If there was only one teaching of Christ then why are the so many differing interpretations of the bible by Christians? If the bible was divinely written as most say then why would God allow so many different interpretations? If i was God i know i would want to make damn sure people knew what I meant.

I think it was way back on the school playground that we all learnt that ppl will always interpret things to suit their own selfish desires. The bible even warns of this and says to be on the look out, even showing us how to spot them. Oh yea, He damn well wants to make sure we get it straight up.

The only place to truly learn about God is to read the Bible. U will find it deeply fulfilling

chantress i remember u told me about ur native american background ........ if u have anything on the spirituality of the native americans please share with us on this forum....... im very interest and from the few i have read on the natives..... their spirituality was very sound and logical b4 the contamination ......
    statistics are what other people have chosen to make real.

Quote Originally Posted by Enchantress View Post
    I am looking for input here on whether my thinking is sound or not. From what I have seen here the vast amount proof stated about the existence of "God" Or "Jesus" seems to only be from the bible. This lack of other sources would seem to indicate that it is at best a myth or exaggeration of events that transpired in order to put forth their, meaning the writers, ideas about God. However, from what I have read, the ideas that Christ embodied were not new ideas. That other older societies had the same type of "Saviour" of humanity. That perhaps the "Christianity" of today grew from these older sources and has long since forgotten its roots or these roots have been ignored.

OK thats the first thought on to thought two lol.

The thing that irritates me about Christians is their inane assumption they are right. If there was only one teaching of Christ then why are the so many differing interpretations of the bible by Christians? If the bible was divinely written as most say then why would God allow so many different interpretations? If i was God i know i would want to make damn sure people knew what I meant.
    In my opinion the most they can say, much like science does, is that each religious doctrine is a theory not set in stone and not right, but an interpretation by "MAN" as to the meaning of the bible.

Just had to get that off my chest lol.

If anyone sees any fault with the way I am thinking please let me know. Or if you have suggestions about where I might learn more i would greatly appreciate it. Ciao for now

There is nothing wrong with anything you've written, you made observations many, I many people have observed.

People engross themselves in their religion (in this case Christianity) and think, as they've been told since they were kids, this is the truth, nothing else, our bible is the true holy book etc etc. Hinduism has been around for 5000 years old but Hindus don't go around campaigning and shoving the Bhagavad Gita in the world's face.

To begin with, the 10 commandments existed in Egypt waaay before the old testament, from the Egyptian book of the dead. The resurrection story is in many ancient religions, about a saviour who came, died/killed and resurrected in 3 days. The cross is the Egyptian Ankh. I can go on and on and on

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information