+ Reply to Thread

Thread: George Weah-" Milo Should be Blamed For Ghana's Quater Final Exit"

Super Moderator Pope Bitterz D'Alomo's Avatar

Default George Weah-" Milo Should be Blamed For Ghana's Quater Final Exit"

African soccer legend, George Weah, believes Ghana could have achieved the goal of being the first African team ever to reach the World Cup's semi-finals, and even the grand final at South Africa 2010, but for their poor attacking methods.

He also thinks that striker Asamoah Gyan would have made a much bigger impact on the just ended tournament had he been a little bit more opportunistic and not relied too much on penalty kicks.

Weah, who spoke to FIFA.com in South Africa at the weekend, expressed his disappointment at the performance of the African teams as a whole, albeit with a tinge of happiness that Ghana got through to the quarter-finals.

The former Liberian captain and one-time FIFA world player of the year immediately added that even Ghana "might have gone out too if they'd lost by another goal or two against Germany in their last group game".

Weah, who was a goal-machine and ruled the roost in Europe while with AC Milan about a decade ago, frowned on Ghana's defensive tactic and the team's inability to score goals which was the only means by which they could have advanced.

"I was not too impressed with Ghana's football because they were not using attacking methods to win ... to win the tournament you have to score more goals and they were not scoring a lot. They were too defensive", Weah fumed.

"They scored few goals and conceded even less. I hope next time they come with a lot of strikers to make the difference", the former world best player advised.

He also had some tit bits, by way of advice, for striker Asamoah Gyan who scored three of Ghana's five goals at the tournament and emerged one of 10 best players by the standards of the FIFA technical study group during the World Cup.

"I congratulate Gyan, but as a striker he has to be more opportunistic. He relied too much on penalty-kicks. He scored a wonderful goal against the USA, but he has to play like he really wants to score because he is always outside the box.

"My advice to him is to stay in the 18-yard box. I saw that he scored 13 goals last season for his club in France and he needs to work more ... as a striker you have to get in the penalty box", Weah stressed.

On the organisation of the World Cup, Weah praised the acumen of the Organising Committee and debunked the notion that Africans were not capable of organising major events such as the World Cup.

"Africans have been perceived as not being able to organise, so to organise a World Cup and bring people together, they (the world) can see we have a culture of organisation, and that is one of the greatest things that have happened to us.

"It's one of the best organised World Cups I've ever seen. Everything is fantastic, everything is in order. Security is good, the Stadiums are fantastic, the fans are incredible, the games are wonderful, and the fact that the games have had a lot of surprises has made this World Cup a beautiful one", Weah surmised.

Weah who was in South Africa as an analyst for SABC, the South African broadcaster, was also one of the bid ambassadors for South Africa 2010.

Weah now resides in the United States and reportedly combines football and political interests with studies in business management after leaving his native Liberia where he ran for the presidency of the country but lost controversially to Mrs Ellen Johnson Sirleaf.
    Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. ~Aesop

Ignorance can be educated,drunkenness sobered,craziness medicated but there is no cure for STUPIDITY

Truth be told Asamoah Gyan is not all that like we are made to believe he is. Weah is right and coming from a guy like him Asamoah Gyan better listen and act accordingly. I still haven't forgiven him for all the heartache he caused me.

Milo is staying and i will give him credit for how far we've come however 2014 is where i will hand him his report card.

Super Moderator Pope Bitterz D'Alomo's Avatar

Honestly if we compare Asamoah Gyan to the Yeboah's,Alhassans etc, We should be ashamed to call Asamoah Gyan our best striker. It's sad enough that the great strikers of old couldn't make it to the world cup but truth be told we suck upfront.
    Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. ~Aesop

Ignorance can be educated,drunkenness sobered,craziness medicated but there is no cure for STUPIDITY

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information