+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ghanaian Health workers outside should go back home

Smile Ghanaian Health workers outside should go back home

Since i left Ghana, i have always wanted to go back oneday to help my motherland. Most people come here and receive good education, get good jobs and would like to stay here. Meanwhile, their services are needed in the country. Africa, we need to go back home and work hard to make our countries proud. Americans and Europeans are tapping our knowledge which we need to take home to better their country. Who will help us better ours if we keep staying here. I dont think we Africans should even have the courage to say the white man looks down on us, because we are the people who give them the priviledge to look down on us. Well, i know you will be thinking that, what am i going to do to contribute to the health sector of ghana. HMMMMMMM, this is my plan; I am graduating from college soon, and hopefully go ahead and do my masters and then my phD. I will be working as i do these educational levels of my career. and finally when am done, i am going to Ghana, to uild one of the biggest hospitals one could imagine. However, i will definitely need funds. So if you should know anyone that would like to help with the health sector of the African continent, by volunteering in anyway, please let me know. Add your thoughts please. thanx

What a good heart you have there. Your philanthropic ambition is remarkable and greatly admired. Sadly, the economic reality in Ghana paints a different reality for some, making it difficult for them to make that bold step. Nonetheless, i believe with the strong drive you have coupled with dedication and hard work you can make this happen. I am up for anything to help our motherland Ghana.

Super Moderator Pope Bitterz D'Alomo's Avatar

Chapati, you have a heart of gold but, dude,until the mentality of our people changes,until our people realize the need for accountabilty,most of us here (out side the shores of the motherland) will rather support our families through whatever means than contribute to the development of the country as a whole.

Your plans are laudable and i for one will support any brother or sister in what ever way i can. However, the mind set of our people back home must change in order for those of us in the diaspora to throw our weight behind people like you. Truth be told, Ghanaians(i hate to generalize)back home are quick to call you "too known" when you get down to business, in the name of helping fix what's broken. hmm,May be you and i can really make a change.

Bless your heart bruh.
    Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. ~Aesop

Ignorance can be educated,drunkenness sobered,craziness medicated but there is no cure for STUPIDITY

Chapati,

Its easier said than done......as the saying goes. Before I even start let me commend you on the good thoughts you have about our beloved country Ghana. I dont know the last time you went to Ghana and I'm not sure if you are in contact with people who have tried similar laudable ideas that you have that have ended up being crippled either because of POLITICS, the usual "WHOM YOU KNOW" concept in Ghana as well as the worst of all"EACH ONE FOR HIMSELF" attitude.

There is so much complacency as well as attitudes that doesn't push the nation forward but rather backwards. As Pope said and I agree with, the attitudes of our people need to change if we want to see our nation change for the better. There are a lot of talkers but when it comes to actually stepping up their game to do what they said.....you find them wanting.

People who try to go set up industries/factories back home gets frustrated with the exorbitant taxes & fees collected at the ports in other for them to clear the machinery & other things. If they persevere & clear their goods, how to get through the government/chieftancy bureaucracy to acquire the necessary documentation and land to start you business is another huge hurdle to cross.

All this is quite frustrating when you have been in this cold weather, toiled for your money (your sweat) which you want to use to help your nation. Something's got to give if we want our nation to be better than what it is now.........

All the best in your efforts though

Yeah, i know what all you guys are saying is true. but are we going to keep sayin that our people need to change and not help for that change to be manifested.

Of course we need the mentality of the Ghanaian to change so that things could be done in the country for a better Ghana. I actually just thought of this; Whenever i get to go to Ghana next time, i will try to organise small groups of student and talk to them more about how the Ghnaian can change their mentality to help develop the country.

Another problem is the fact that the majority of people in Ghanaare illiterates. And some of us support the fact that they collect bribes from us at the customs that how come they wouldnt let you go even if you trying to go through the normal process to get what you want.

Anyway, thanx yall for ur contribution, but i believe with the help of God, Ghana will be a better country any time soon...............

Easier said than doen bruh. We all want to help is some shape or form but the pull him down attitude is what is holding some of us back. It's all about the emancipation of the mind and the change in perception of our people towards those of us coming back home to help.

Chapati, I know that the Gates millennium foundation has a couple of grants. You may want to hit up the various Ghana society groups in USA, Canada, Europe or hell even Asia-not sure if such a database exists but its a start.

Why don't you talk to health workers in Ghana itself who've been able to do what you plan to do Dr. BaahWiredu of Tema Women's Clinic comes to mind(not sure if he has a website but its located in Community 12 or is it 10). He's trained in the states and established this amazing hospital, its hands down the best and mirrors the best clinics in the states as well.

all go to the same place ;all come from dust and to the dust all return. who knows if the human spirit rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?
    ecclesiastes 3:20-21 :-x

Fashion Yaa, Thank you so much for the information. I really appreciate and am gonna look at that. At least i have someone who has a positive view about what i wanna do and i hope it all goes well.

Default ?

lol, I know exactly what you mean, I call it the Ghanaian Fear of Realities. Its like our parents raised us to fear failure itself and to only follow safe paths, this kind of survivalist upbringing is understandable, cause we come from a poverty laced nation. But it baffels me to the point of annoyance when abroad Ghanaians uphold this fear and lack of hope. Sometimes it makes me never want to share my vision to fellow Ghanaian s but yah...If I hear any other donation links I'll post them here
    Last edited by Fashion Yaa; 3rd October 2010 at 07:17 AM. Reason: n/a

all go to the same place ;all come from dust and to the dust all return. who knows if the human spirit rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?

Chapati, your cause is a noble one and i commend you on the effort. Yaa, i share the same sentiment. The sky has no limit, we should not be afraid to leap beyond our current frontier and explore the infinite possibilities that exist beyond our scope.

goog good good. thanx

I found this for those who want to become doctors http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patients...s-Program.aspx

I thought the main idea was for ghanaian health workers to go back home? lol. Well, i have had training in the healthcare field in Ghana, and to be frank, the treatment most doctors who come out fresh from school recieve is enough to discourage them. Even with the little working experience i have had in ghana, i understood the typical nature and mind of the average ghanaian man. It is easier to say when you are not within that field. I was trained my Dr Ama Abam, who was an opthalmologist who studied in the UK. Her main goal was to establish as many eyecare centers in as many possible locations around he country as she could possibly find. She was a visionary, and had the high hopes of training outstanding optometrists to assume such roles in their own communities. She offered to send me to be a co-runner of the eyecare station she was gonna establish in Akropong after my graduation which was a few years ahead. However, the royal stool would not release land to her because her political affiliation was unknown and somewhat questionable. After years of working in ghana, she decided it was not worth it, and i understood her sentiment. She was frustrated beyond belief, and couldnt believe that Ghana in this age still had a backward mentality! She left the university a few years later, and i had the opportunity to sit and talk with her before that. She believed if left to private individuals, they could offer as much help that the govt couldnt give. She had people on standby willing to provide the neccessary equipment and materials to start her venture, but the powers that be thwarted her efforts. And after graduating, i saw no future in building my career as an optometrist in Ghana. So what did i do? I simply left to better myself. Am still young, and i diverted into a field where i can gather and learn as much skill as i possibly can to be able to thrive anywhere i went. And my mates think the same. Even our outreach programs are discouraging as the locals dont even readily patronise visual healthcare till they know they are incapacitated, and they come in when we cannot do much to help them. I laud your idea, but believe me, expect a lot of resistance and frustration.. that's just how things are.. and its truth.

Super Moderator Pope Bitterz D'Alomo's Avatar

Another one bites the dust or not ?

You see when like minded people band together there certainly is a glimmer of hope in addressing some of the pertinent issues plaguing Ghana. With your unpleasant experience coupled with Chapati's enthusiasm as well as that of countless well meaning Ghanaian medical professionals out there,you can make a change !

I say why not ?
    Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. ~Aesop

Ignorance can be educated,drunkenness sobered,craziness medicated but there is no cure for STUPIDITY

Ofcourse.. it is possible, but before we can do that, the ghanaian populace must know and admit that they need help, and that it also requires their involvement and attitude change as well. Too many Ghanaians prefer to sit on the fence and watch, and they only complain when the problems begin to beat down on their heads. Otherwise, we work in vain...

Default health

Quote Originally Posted by Pope Bitterz D'Alomo View Post
    Chapati, you have a heart of gold but, dude,until the mentality of our people changes,until our people realize the need for accountabilty,most of us here (out side the shores of the motherland) will rather support our families through whatever means than contribute to the development of the country as a whole.

Your plans are laudable and i for one will support any brother or sister in what ever way i can. However, the mind set of our people back home must change in order for those of us in the diaspora to throw our weight behind people like you. Truth be told, Ghanaians(i hate to generalize)back home are quick to call you "too known" when you get down to business, in the name of helping fix what's broken. hmm,May be you and i can really make a change.

Bless your heart bruh.
    The sentiment is mutually shared, as Pope's comment above correctly emphasized. Nonetheless, change can still come if there is a collective effort by all the Health Workers around the world to make that happen.

Im just saying support a dream the way you would support a small child when they say the funniest yet introspective things like "one day Im gonna be a aeroplane or something interesting like listening to them tell a funny story from their imagination".
    Last edited by Fashion Yaa; 13th October 2010 at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LMILLS View Post
    I thought the main idea was for Ghanaian health workers to go back home? lol. Well, i have had training in the healthcare field in Ghana, and to be frank, the treatment most doctors who come out fresh from school receive is enough to discourage them. Even with the little working experience i have had in Ghana, i understood the typical nature and mind of the average Ghanaian man. It is easier to say when you are not within that field. I was trained my Dr Ama Abam, who was an ophthalmologist who studied in the UK. Her main goal was to establish as many eye care centers in as many possible locations around he country as she could possibly find. She was a visionary, and had the high hopes of training outstanding optometrists to assume such roles in their own communities. She offered to send me to be a co-runner of the eye care station she was gonna establish in Akropong after my graduation which was a few years ahead. However, the royal stool would not release land to her because her political affiliation was unknown and somewhat questionable. After years of working in Ghana, she decided it was not worth it, and i understood her sentiment. She was frustrated beyond belief, and couldn't believe that Ghana in this age still had a backward mentality! She left the university a few years later, and i had the opportunity to sit and talk with her before that. She believed if left to private individuals, they could offer as much help that the govt couldn't give. She had people on standby willing to provide the necessary equipment and materials to start her venture, but the powers that be thwarted her efforts. And after graduating, i saw no future in building my career as an optometrist in Ghana. So what did i do? I simply left to better myself. Am still young, and i diverted into a field where i can gather and learn as much skill as i possibly can to be able to thrive anywhere i went. And my mates think the same. Even our outreach programs are discouraging as the locals don't even readily patronize visual health care till they know they are incapacitated, and they come in when we cannot do much to help them. I laud your idea, but believe me, expect a lot of resistance and frustration.. that's just how things are.. and its truth.
    I can point out the many ways Dr. Abam went wrong but I am glad you were there to witness and she live to tell about the inability of our poverty-minded nation to see worth in "prevention is better than cure". Would she consider using her efforts in other nations that would welcome her efforts, for instance there is a Ghanaian doctor doing wonders in HIV/AIDS prevention in Botswanna(GTV's Greetings from Abroad show) did a feature on what he's been doing for the past 15years.

I say, when plan A does not work, then go to plan B and lastly C. What I do know my agreement with you about private enterprise, perhaps Chapati's plans is better served if she can get large companies in Ghana to agree to the hospital Chapati builds to be exclusively for the employers of that company, that's how it is done in the states anyway and it does a lot to help preventable diseases from occurring cause every year a an employer will require a physical assessment from a specific hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Pope Bitterz D'Alomo View Post
    Another one bites the dust or not ?

You see when like minded people band together there certainly is a glimmer of hope in addressing some of the pertinent issues plaguing Ghana. With your unpleasant experience coupled with Chapati's enthusiasm as well as that of countless well meaning Ghanaian medical professionals out there,you can make a change !

I say why not ?
    indeed why not

Hey Chapati, hope you have not left the health forum. I just saw a mind boggling statistic that made me think of your post

http://www.statsghana.gov.gh/Health_Nutrition.html

The main results indicate a general increase in health facilities nationwide from 251 in 1991 to 286 in 2003 for hospitals and 1138 for health centres and clinics in 1991 to 1487 in 2003. These are increases of 13.9% and 30.7% respectively over a period of 12 years. The number of hospitals for Greater Accra region almost doubled within the period while those in Ashanti region increased by only 6.6%. On the other hand, the number of hospitals in the Central, Volta, Northern and Upper East regions decreased. With regards to health centres, however, substantial increases occurred in all the regions except Central and Greater Accra regions which experienced a fall in the number of health centres and clinics. One major concern is the equitable distribution of health resources. Regions in the northern part of the country have fewer health facilities and lower coverage in preventive health services resulting in high hospital admission rates per capita for the people in those regions.

Quote Originally Posted by Fashion Yaa View Post
    I can point out the many ways Dr. Abam went wrong but I am glad you were there to witness and she live to tell about the inability of our poverty-minded nation to see worth in "prevention is better than cure". Would she consider using her efforts in other nations that would welcome her efforts, for instance there is a Ghanaian doctor doing wonders in HIV/AIDS prevention in Botswanna(GTV's Greetings from Abroad show) did a feature on what he's been doing for the past 15years.

I say, when plan A does not work, then go to plan B and lastly C. What I do know my agreement with you about private enterprise, perhaps Chapati's plans is better served if she can get large companies in Ghana to agree to the hospital Chapati builds to be exclusively for the employers of that company, that's how it is done in the states anyway and it does a lot to help preventable diseases from occurring cause every year a an employer will require a physical assessment from a specific hospital.
    Well, u made mention of the fact that he was in Botswana, but tell me, dont we need the same help as he is offering people? why would he do so immensely well in a foreign country yet he is still unknown for any effort in Ghana. Maybe, Botswana has realized its need of help, and they have recieved it accordingly. I find it disturbing that his own mother country is not recieving as much benefit from him as another nation does, and i doubt its because Ghana records low HIV infections. We all know how adamant Ghnaians are to seek testing for infectious disease, so do we not need help in educating the Ghanaian mass to get the available help they require?? Again, he does well there because they know his value, and recognise his contribution, Ghanaians wont. We ought to consider that fact as well..

After reading all your comments above I'll say bravo and kudos to you all. Like I said earlier on, its easier said than done. We all had hopes and aspirations when growing up but tell me how much of them you have accomplished as of now. When you enter a classroom in any school in Ghana, over 80% of the children asked what they want to do in future....."I want o be a doctor when I grow up" will be the reply but we all know that is not the reality on the ground.

What both Chapati and Fashion Yaa are saying is quite laudable and yes it is always good to have hope but I want to find out from both of them when they last set foot on the nations soil? When was the last time you tried shipping anything to Ghana? When was the last time you went to the ports to clear goods? When last did you go to any of the government agencies or ministries to get some paperwork signed or you wanted to see a minister to discuss plans that you had.

It is ridiculous the things that go on in the nation and sometimes you experience these things and ask yourself why bother? I might as well go back to where I came from.....even though that is not the best option out but the circumstances on the ground makes it hard to make a headway. I have heard similar stories and know people who have gone through such situations like the one Leslie just said about Dr Ama Abam, and it is still ongoing.

The funny thing is everything is being politicized and put first before the people's welfare. As I am speaking now, I have an uncle who is one of the top executives at Enron and he has been helping the Energy Commission in Ghana for a couple of years now. He has expertise that could be utilized by the incumbent government in the oil project in Ghana but as ridiculous as it sounds, he is said to be "affiliated" to the previous government because there was a picture of him and powers that be in that political party and so there is no way he is going to be given a chance to do anything.

I'm wondering how many of the health workers out there are really willing to go back after what they have already experienced or what their other colleagues have been through.

We all want to see our nation grow and flourish and so we will keep the hope alive........lets see what God has for us as a nation.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information