+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Misconceptions About Africa

Default Misconceptions About Africa

I read this article on yahoo and I thought I should share it with you. Do you think the writer exaggerated the ignorance of people in the Western world?

A lot of people in the United States surprisingly have a common perception of the African continent: war, starvation, safari and naked village tribes. While this may be true in few isolated places in Africa, asking your

African colleague at work or school if he ever got attacked by a wild animal is equivalent to assuming every American is a Hollywood actor.

To avoid some self-embarrassment either during your travel to any part of Africa or in relating with people from Africa, here are some general facts you should know about Africa:

1. Africa Is Not A Country!

This might sound a bit ridiculous to you if you already know this, but you'll be surprised how many people still think Africa is one huge country with one culture and language. On the contrary, Africa consists of 53 countries each with very diverse languages and cultures. South Africa alone has 12 official languages while Nigerians speak over 300 languages.

2. Lions, Zebras and Elephants

Contrary to what you may have implied from watching documentaries on National Geographic and Hollywood movies, wild animals are not roaming the streets of Africa. The population dynamics of wild animals and humans in Africa is the same as every part of the world: animals live in wild life parks and zoos. Although, few isolated human settlements still exist in places with wild animals, however, this phenomenon is not unique to Africa.

3. Not Tribes and Villages

First time visitors to Africa normally expect the landscape to be what you see in Hollywood movies: village huts, wild forests and people walking around without clothes. However, the reality is that just like the United States; all countries in Africa have urban, suburban and rural areas. Yes, you wouldn't see as many skyscrapers in Lagos or Cape Town as you'll see in Manhattan; neither would the infrastructure in Nairobi be as high-end as what you get in Los Angeles. But expect everything from dance clubs, movie theatres, five-star hotels, Blackberry phones to Mercedes cars in African cities.

4. Different Races and Colors

This should be taught in the high schools and colleges. It's amazing how ignorant people are about such matters.

thanks for the post, wow yahoo having this is step forward, this is why i praise site like this one, the people will see for themselves the beauty and many misconceptions of Africa....Im gonna find pictures to compliment this piece you brought Informer

all go to the same place ;all come from dust and to the dust all return. who knows if the human spirit rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?
    ecclesiastes 3:20-21 :-x

Super Moderator Pope Bitterz D'Alomo's Avatar

Lord knows how many times i've had to tell people that Africa is not a country.
    Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. ~Aesop

Ignorance can be educated,drunkenness sobered,craziness medicated but there is no cure for STUPIDITY

[QUOTE=The Informer;6643]I read this article on yahoo and I thought I should share it with you. Do you think the writer exaggerated the ignorance of people in the Western world?

A lot of people in the United States surprisingly have a common perception of the African continent: war, starvation, safari and naked village tribes. While this may be true in few isolated places in Africa, asking your

African colleague at work or school if he ever got attacked by a wild animal is equivalent to assuming every American is a Hollywood actor.

To avoid some self-embarrassment either during your travel to any part of Africa or in relating with people from Africa, here are some general facts you should know about Africa:

This might sound a bit ridiculous to you if you already know this, but you'll be surprised how many people still think Africa is one huge country with one culture and language. On the contrary, Africa consists of 53 countries each with very diverse languages and cultures. South Africa alone has 12 official languages while Nigerians speak over 300 languages.

Contrary to what you may have implied from watching documentaries on National Geographic and Hollywood movies, wild animals are not roaming the streets of Africa. The population dynamics of wild animals and humans in Africa is the same as every part of the world: animals live in wild life parks and zoos. Although, few isolated human settlements still exist in places with wild animals, however, this phenomenon is not unique to Africa.
    unique building in South Africa city scape in Ghana http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...89iB7WQhlFZVu1

First time visitors to Africa normally expect the landscape to be what you see in Hollywood movies: village huts, wild forests and people walking around without clothes. However, the reality is that just like the United States; all countries in Africa have urban, suburban and rural areas. Yes, you wouldn't see as many skyscrapers in Lagos or Cape Town as you'll see in Manhattan; neither would the infrastructure in Nairobi be as high-end as what you get in Los Angeles. But expect everything from dance clubs, movie theatres, five-star hotels, Blackberry phones to Mercedes cars in African cities.

all go to the same place ;all come from dust and to the dust all return. who knows if the human spirit rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?
    ecclesiastes 3:20-21 :-x

[QUOTE=Fashion Yaa;6923]
    Quote Originally Posted by The Informer View Post
    I read this article on yahoo and I thought I should share it with you. Do you think the writer exaggerated the ignorance of people in the Western world?

unique building in South Africa city scape in Ghana http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...89iB7WQhlFZVu1

That was thoughtful!
    We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality. Einstein

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose". Elliot

Character is higher than intellect. ~Emerson

“The best thing I have is the knife from Fatal Attraction. I hung it in my kitchen. It's my way of saying, Don't mess with me.”
    Glenn
    Great Spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    Einstein

:

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMeister View Post
    This should be taught in the high schools and colleges. It's amazing how ignorant people are about such matters.
    It is being taught--but I guess they need to make it as transparent like the original post above: in that way they wouldn't have five or more pages to read and memorized.
    We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality. Einstein

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose". Elliot

“The best thing I have is the knife from Fatal Attraction. I hung it in my kitchen. It's my way of saying, Don't mess with me.”
    Glenn
    Einstein

:

Quote Originally Posted by The Informer View Post

The post was refreshing and thoughtful. Gracias!

Glenn
    Einstein

:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information