+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nkrumah Left Ghana Bankrupt...He Was Not A Saint - Prof.

Default Nkrumah Left Ghana Bankrupt...He Was Not A Saint - Prof.

Former Rector of the Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA), Professor Stephen Adei says Ghanaians who continue to hail Dr. Kwame Nkrumah and attack those who criticise his legacy are doing the nation a great disservice.

Professor Adei told Citi FM in an exclusive interview that Ghana’s First President, Dr. Nkrumah committed several grave mistakes when he became president of Ghana, thereby dividing the nation.

He said although Dr Nkrumah deserves to be praised for some of his sterling achievements as a leader, he failed to unite the country with some of his vindictive policies. “There is a dark side of Nkrumah; it was in his regime that this political persecution of people started. He left the country bankrupt so we must have a means of objective assessment of learning from his good legacies and avoiding the mistakes he made so that we can change and move forward in the right direction”.

Professor Stephen Adei however acknowledged that there is no doubt that Dr Kwame Nkrumah was the best political leader on the African continent in the last 100 years but added that the darker side of Dr Nkrumah did more harm than good to the nation.

“I think Nkrumah has a mixed legacy, there is no doubt that he is the greatest African in terms of political leadership in the last 100 years and I support that one. “We all owe much of what is in Ghana today to him, Education, Infrastructure, health and everything else to him but he also has a darker side”.

Source: citifmoline

i like how this Adei Professor does not clearly state categorically the wrongs of Nkrumah, NO one ever does. Its kind of odd, I always hear stories here and there but till now i have not read a book that has stated Nkrumah's human rights abuses. no leader is a saint but its time we learn to document rather than mear speculation from the mouths of experts.

all go to the same place ;all come from dust and to the dust all return. who knows if the human spirit rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?
    ecclesiastes 3:20-21 :-x

Super Moderator Pope Bitterz D'Alomo's Avatar

............ he also has a darker side
    I've heard some gut wrenching accounts about Nkrumah's reign.
    Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. ~Aesop

Ignorance can be educated,drunkenness sobered,craziness medicated but there is no cure for STUPIDITY

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information