The Ghana Football Association (GFA) has filed a suit at an Accra Human Rights Court against officials of the Economic and Organised Crime Office (EOCO), formerly the Serious Fraud Office (SFO), for human rights abuses and wrongful application of the law.

The FA has expressed disgust at the EOCO conduct and said it was taking the legal action since the association had not been accused of any crime.

Spokesperson for the GFA, Randy Abbey, said, “The obvious implication is that there will be no business related to football in this country. No games will be played,” he told Joy Fm.

The situation, he said, was being monitored “and if at any point in time the clubs and the association believe there is the need to review the current situation, it will be done.”

Three days after officials of the EOCO raided the GFA premises and took away several documents and computers, the office remains under lock and key, with only two saloon cars- a blue Tata Indica with registration number GE 4309-10 and a black Mazda Protégé, GT 1841-10- parked on its premises.

A statement issued and signed by the Executive Director of EOCO, B. Mortey Akpadzi said, “Very detailed investigations will be undertaken and if any person is found to have broken any law of Ghana, appropriate action will be taken against any such person.”

In this regard, he said, “No effort will be spared to obey the law and observe the highest standards of professionalism.”

That notwithstanding, Mr. Mortey stated, “The Office will not be deterred in any way in efforts to enforce the law and make sure that the innocent does not in any way suffer, while any person suspected to have broken the law is prosecuted.”

Subsequent to the search and seizure of its documents and equipment, the EOCO has taken operational measures to procure the documents and information it requires from the computer, documents and files, which were seized during the search.

They later sent the documents it retrieved back on Wednesday, December 8, 2010 between the hours of 4.30 and 5.30 pm.

When the officers got to the gates of the GFA, the entrance to the premises had been locked.

The leader of the group sent a text message to the General Secretary of the GFA, Kofi Nsiah, informing him that they were there to return the seized items, claiming that they had been able to retrieve the information from the bunch of documents and computers.

Nsiah was said to have sent a text message back to the EOCO officials, stating that the executive committee had closed down the GFA offices until further notice.

The executive director of the EOCO also contended that his outfit’s legal mandate which obliged them to carry out these investigations, could not be different from what happened in other jurisdictions, even in FIFA’s own home country which saw similar investigations and the subsequent search of the FIFA President’s office by the Swiss police in November 2005.

By Charles Takyi-Boadu