The highly anticipated movie “Sinking Sands” was finally premiered at the National Theatre on Saturday, November 13, 2010 and trust me when I say it was worth every penny and time spent by patrons who thronged the venue to have a first-time public screening of the masterpiece.

The event started on a glamorous note with elegantly dressed members of the c ast and crew filing down the red carpet and giving audience to the Press, fans and paparazzi.

The story is set in the 1990’s and revolves around a young couple ‘Jimah’-A banker (played by Jimmy Jean Louis) and ‘Pabi’- A teacher in a small community school (played by Ama K. Abebrese) who were a match made in heaven until an accident leaves Jimah with a scar that alters his appearance and turns him into a “monster”.

Endless days of wife battery and abuse becomes the order of the day in their “happy” home but Pabi doesn’t want to flee because of guilt and the fact that she had no family to turn to. Jimah capitalizes on this and subjects her to a life of misery but how long will Pabi endure? And at what cost will she buy her freedom?

“Sinking Sands” is the latest movie from Platinum Award winning Producer-cum-Director Leila Djansi who has many movies to her credit including “The Rub”, “Love letters”, “Baby Blues”, “Bobby” and her critically acclaimed “Grass between my lips” which won the Platinum Award for Best Film at the 2009 WorldFest International Film Festival. Here in Ghana, she is popularly known for her historical “I Sing of A Well” which also received 11 nominations at the African Academy Awards and eventually won 3.

Leila started her career at the age of 19 with GAMA Films and has since never turned back; she has once again nailed it with “Sinking Sands”. It was not surprising when anxious viewers expressed excitement and shock at the end of every scene with applause and cheers. It was not the normal trend of movies where you could easily predict events. You only had to enjoy getting surprised as events unfolded. The movie ended with patrons giving a standing-ovation to the brain behind it as well as the very professional actors casted.

The location, setting, characterization and delivery by the very professional cast, props, high picture and sound quality, relevant story and accompanying scenes makes “Sinking Sands” a must watch. I must say I wasn’t surprised after watching the movie produced at the relatively unheard of cost – for a Ghanaian movie – of $1.5m. The film oozed with quality.

Inspired by being self-conscious about a scar on her shoulder and reports of abuse in relationships, Leila decided to throw more light on the effects of these negatives and get society to critically examine their effects. If the audience at the premiere are anything to go by, she has succeeded even beyond her wildest dreams.

source: citifm