Flagbearer of the opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP), Nana Akufo-Addo, may have thought to have answered his critics who tagged him a drug addict with his recent open denial, but the former Attorney-General may be surprised to know the cynics have not been utterly silenced; with some even indicating their resolve not to vote for him unless he submits his blood samples for testing.

Founder of the United Renaissance Party (URP), “Chuck” Kofi Wayo is still not convinced despite Akufo-Addo’s strong denial about substance abuse insisting that the long awaited response is a show of mere African bravado.

In an interview with Alhassan Suhini on Radio Gold’s Alhaji and Alhaji programme, Mr. Wayo was emphatic that the burden of proof lies with the NPP flagbearer, adding that “it is his job to prove that he is not a drug addict”.

The maverick politician reiterated that if Nana Addo wants to taste the presidency, he must submit his blood samples to be tasted since that is the only way for him to prove his innocence, “otherwise,” he said, “I won’t vote for him.”

“With all these rumours, Nana Addo wanna be President of my country? I am a voter and where I grew up in the United States, there’s something called moral…with all these rumours around,…the best that I know of, is for you to go take a blood test or I won’t vote for you,” the URP Leader said.

Nana Akufo-Addo, at the opening ceremony of a three-day national NPP youth conference held at the Mafara Hotel in Tamale, openly challenged his critics to prove with empirical evidence that he is a drug addict or “shut up”.

“I have never tasted or sniffed cocaine. Why are my detractors attacking my personality saying that I am a drug addict?” Nana Addo fumed.

But the outspoken former oil-magnate, who switched camp from the NPP to the NDC a couple of years ago, opined that the NPP Flagbearer is just exhibiting communist inferior tactics to intimidate and silence his accusers by threatening them with legal action. According to him, the NPP considers the Ghanaian electorate to be ‘illiterates’ and people they could easily boss around.

“I’ve been with these people….they believe that the people are illiterates and stupid...,” Mr. Wayo added.

Source: Rebecca Quaye/Peacefmonline.com/Ghana Institute of Journalism