+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why is my scalp so itchy?

Super Moderator Pope Bitterz D'Alomo's Avatar

Default Why is my scalp so itchy?

After consulting Dr. Jeffrey Benabio, a dermatologist in San Diego, California, and author of the Derm Blog, for general information about itchy scalps. He shared the following:

Itchy scalp can be a frustrating problem. There are several things that can cause it. Dandruff is the most common. Dandruff is caused by overgrowth of yeast on your scalp. The yeast triggers inflammation and itching. It usually causes flaking, but not always. When the scalp is red and flaky from dandruff, we often call it seborrheic dermatitis, but the cause is the same.

Allergic contact dermatitis is also a common cause of itchy scalp. Sometimes, people develop an allergy to their hair color or to their shampoo, conditioner or hair products. This is often intensely itchy and sometimes spreads to the back of your neck or your back (depending on the length of your hair).

Inflammation of the hair follicles or bacterial infection of the scalp can also cause itching. Usually, people with this problem have acne-like bumps or pustules in the affected areas.

Other causes of itchy scalp are uncommon. Inflammatory and hair loss conditions of the scalp are rare but can also cause itching. There are many of them; discoid lupus and hot comb alopecia are two examples. They always have areas of obvious hair loss.

Systemic, or whole body, diseases can sometimes cause scalp itching. Common diseases such as psoriasis and rare conditions such as dermatomyositis can cause itchy scalp. Both also cause redness and flaking.

Sometimes, frankly, we just don't know what causes the itching. Washing your hair too infrequently is more likely a problem than washing too much, as the scalp rarely dries out. Using anti-dandruff shampoos two or three times a week and over-the-counter anti-itching treatments such as Scalpicin usually relieves the problem.
    Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. ~Aesop

Ignorance can be educated,drunkenness sobered,craziness medicated but there is no cure for STUPIDITY

hm, i doubt this....I think itchy scalp is a matter of dehydration, well at least for me. but this article is enlightening thanks

all go to the same place ;all come from dust and to the dust all return. who knows if the human spirit rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?
    ecclesiastes 3:20-21 :-x

Pope thanks for the info but does this doctor deal with white or black people ( not to bring in any racism here)? I am asking because there are certain conditions that vary between the races. I have dandruff myself and have tried so many anti-dandruff treatments but I have come to realize that keeping my hair moisturized and my scalp oiled keeps the dryness in check.

Super Moderator Pope Bitterz D'Alomo's Avatar

Dr. B, treats patients of all races.
    Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. ~Aesop

Ignorance can be educated,drunkenness sobered,craziness medicated but there is no cure for STUPIDITY

LittleLadyHealth

Default Itchy scalp

Sometimes chemical build up on your hair can cause your scalp to dry up but if you use some coconut oil it will help.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information