+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Book are you Reading

Default What Book are you Reading

I am reading MASQUE OF AFRICA by V.S Naipaul.

He was recently in Ghana about 2yrs ago and I wondered why, now I know. If only the interview Paul Otchere did with him on Metro had captured research of this book as the reason for his visit. This Metro TV news anchor gave one of the most uncomfortable interviews I ever had to the pleasure to watch, essentially he had no idea about the works of VS Naipaul(none) but felt he could wing it simply because this writer is a Nobel Peace Prize winner. Hm, I wish I could find a clip of that interview cause normally Paul is excellent but he just fell short that day.

In any case, I have not started to read it but please share what books you are reading

all go to the same place ;all come from dust and to the dust all return. who knows if the human spirit rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?
    ecclesiastes 3:20-21 :-x

Quote Originally Posted by Fashion Yaa View Post
    I am reading MASQUE OF AFRICA by V.S Naipaul.

He was recently in Ghana about 2yrs ago and I wondered why, now I know. If only the interview Paul Otchere did with him on Metro had captured research of this book as the reason for his visit. This Metro TV news anchor gave one of the most uncomfortable interviews I ever had to the pleasure to watch, essentially he had no idea about the works of VS Naipaul(none) but felt he could wing it simply because this writer is a Nobel Peace Prize winner. Hm, I wish I could find a clip of that interview cause normally Paul is excellent but he just fell short that day.

In any case, I have not started to read it but please share what books you are reading
    Yaa, what is the book about?
    When one loses the deep intimate relationship with nature, then temples, mosques and churches become important.
    .........Jiddu Krishnamurti

I'm an avid reader, never without a book.

I am currently reading THE EINSTEIN FACTOR by Win Wenger and Richard Poe. Never knew Albert Einstein was the dumbest student in school. The book is not about Einstein but it mentions other geniuses in it. Its about teaching yourself to be intelligent, having incredible memory using a method called 'image streaming'. Its going very slow because I'm writing exams at the moment, reading hundreds of pages of psychological theories and what have you.

Yaa, thanks for opening a thread like this.
    When one loses the deep intimate relationship with nature, then temples, mosques and churches become important.

I haven't read anything this week, have been so tied up. Getting an Amazon Kindle next week, which hopefully, should fire me up to do more reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Q' lypse View Post
    Yaa, what is the book about?
    The book is about Traditional African Religion....Im thinking he wrote it from a fictional point of view and I think that is why he came to Ghana, to perhaps see some of the research on the subject matter. In the past he has written historical books but I only know him to write fiction on life in the Caribbean.

I just just started and plan to finish it by Monday next week then I'll come back and give a run down. Glad you like the post

all go to the same place ;all come from dust and to the dust all return. who knows if the human spirit rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?

Quote Originally Posted by neoxiang View Post
    I haven't read anything this week, have been so tied up. Getting an Amazon Kindle next week, which hopefully, should fire me up to do more reading.
    Well I'd like to recommend you read whatever you desire and share with us how it is to read from the Kindle.

The book is about Traditional African Religion....Im thinking he wrote it from a fictional point of view and I think that is why he came to Ghana, to perhaps see some of the research on the subject matter. In the past he has written historical books but I only know him to write fiction on life in the Caribbean.

I just just started and plan to finish it by Monday next week then I'll come back and give a run down. Glad you like the post
    cool. You are a fast reader

I just laid hands on John Grisham's newest best seller "The Confession". It's about a man who commits a heinous crime,then has an innocent man jailed for it. He later realizes his guilt and tries to come clean.......

Loving this website and every forum in it

cool. You are a fast reader
    When the book is good,you have to agree its a fast read. But so far so good. He mostly posses questions about Traditional African Religion spanning his travels in Uganda, Nigeria-this is only about half of the book so far and the next reads will head to Ghana, South Africa.

One memorable line is how he compared Christianity and Islam in Africa to a fast food franchise, one on every corner and even the traditional healers are not immune to this cause there is a fee to use their services.

One memorable line is how he compared Christianity and Islam in Africa to a fast food franchise, one on every corner and even the traditional healers are not immune to this cause there is a fee to use their services.
    hhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaa, thats hilarious. I gotta get this book one day. Oh, I think I will use this metaphor in my writings on my visit to Ghana next week

Super Moderator Pope Bitterz D'Alomo's Avatar

Janet Malcolm's Psychoanalysis: The Impossible Profession. It tackles the dichotomy of the Oedipus Complex theory,has some witty humor to it whiles certain pertinent questions about psychoanalysis are addressed.Some of Freud's ideas are tackled perfectly in this book.

Mind freaks will love this.
    Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. ~Aesop

Ignorance can be educated,drunkenness sobered,craziness medicated but there is no cure for STUPIDITY

Anything psychoanalytic i am in. Will check it out.

The Heart's Code - Tapping the wisdom and power of our heart energy
    statistics are what other people have chosen to make real.

I spoke too soon when i said i could finish The Masque of Africa by this Monday past. This V.S Naipaul travel/research experience book reads like a hunt for truth.

Since I was more interested in his travels in Ghana, it seems so far the Ga Dagmbe(which he spells phoneticallyt as Gaa) have been open and introspective to him. He just found it peculiar that attemthe priestests made about the belief system was always compared to a"biblical" reference association.

albertcron

Right now i am reading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. It is superb novel. I recommend this novel other.

i agree the book is sooo much more naughty than the movies by far....loved it when i finally read it as well
    Quote Originally Posted by albertcron View Post
    Right now i am reading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. It is superb novel. I recommend this novel other.

microunique

I always prefer to read the books on vedanta which defines the ultimate inner being of human in its various faculties. These books are not on the external life but has discovered the immense potential of human beings lied within himself.

Default Very cool

Quote Originally Posted by microunique View Post
    I always prefer to read the books on vedanta which defines the ultimate inner being of human in its various faculties. These books are not on the external life but has discovered the immense potential of human beings lied within himself.
    Please, if you ever get a chance, provide titles and authors on such books. Thanks for sharing

The main character, Hawa, I believe is living in the 1970 Ghana cause she mentions that Afro-wig is in style plus
    she mentions that in African society even if you are Ashawo it is taboo to give blow-job, back-bumper pass and keeps saying Nkrumah money.

Oh yeah, did you know the term Ashawo means an unattached grown woman and is also a Yoroba word, oh yeah, that was cool to learn.

I have finished Hustling is not Stealing and not reading Exchange is not Robbery, hmm lets just take a look at the begining stage of the story where we see Hawa return to her ancestral home in Burkina Faso where her brother is living....its super funny and so reminiscent of these local language movies(Mercy Asiedu, Agya Koo) when it comes to palavar(trouble) that i just had to take the time and type it out for you to read

pg. 22-23
    [ And what got me annoyed: my brother was so gentle with his wife, and he was trying
    to play some fucking things with us. Mama Amma used to laugh at me on this case,
    but I always used to be annoyed. The way my brother was with his wife: evening time, they
    would bring the chairs outside. Then they would put their table in front of them. Then
    they would bring their television and put it on. And their children were also sitting behind
    there. Then she and the husband would start eating. Sometimes she would cut the food and put
    it in the husband's mouth. They were always doing things like this. And we were all sitting
    outside to eat, you know. So I used to be annoyed. I used to heat! What is he doing all
    this for? When we are eating, we are eating, If we finish they are together: they can do
    whatever they want. But not the time when we will all come around to eat......Then there was
    the first wife. He divorced that woman. I used to feel pity for her. Then i used to be annoyed more. Ha!
    When he divorced her, the woman said she would never marry again in her life. She ould stay in the
    same house and die there, because she had children, and her children were the first senior
    children of my brother, so she wouldn't leave the house and let the other bad woman come and treat these
    children in some way.......So I used to be annoyed! You know, I used to take it sometimes as if I was that woman. Ha!
    I used to tell Mama Amma: "No!****!Even this kind of soup, which they play romance with, how can
    we eat it?" Then I would say, "Let's go out and eat." Ha-ha!]

robertmartin

Edgar Cayce Modern Prophet Four Complete Books(incredible book, you will learn a lot).

am reading James Patterson's Double Cross
    love Alex Cross's work.
    AJ

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMeister View Post
    I just laid hands on John Grisham's newest best seller "The Confession". It's about a man who commits a heinous crime,then has an innocent man jailed for it. He later realizes his guilt and tries to come clean.......

John G is good. read a few of his books.
    AJ

I read "Conversations With Myself", Nelson Mandela.

His deepest thoughts he wrote down in his diary when he was in prison. The man really suffered, you get to read his fears, sadness, strengths, bad dreams he had about his family. So much he went through..

I finished reading "The Multi-orgasmic man".

What a book!! I didn't know ejaculation was just a muscle contraction, that there is a difference between a man's ejaculation and ------. What I book. A man can have multiple orgasms without ejaculating, therefore no energy loss, on the contrary. I recommend this book to every male, ladies buy it for your man too..

I read "Conversations With Myself", Nelson Mandela.

His deepest thoughts he wrote down in his diary when he was in prison. The man really suffered, you get to read his fears, sadness, strengths, bad dreams he had about his family. So much he went through..

I finished reading "The Multi-orgasmic man".

What a book!! I didn't know ejaculation was just a muscle contraction, that there is a difference between a man's ejaculation and ------. What I book. A man can have multiple orgasms without ejaculating, therefore no energy loss, on the contrary. I recommend this book to every male, ladies buy it for your man too..
    eii u clear that book finish .....
    converstions with myself look interesting ... will check it out
    statistics are what other people have chosen to make real.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information