+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lets Plan Well Before We Do Movies Leila Djansi

Default Lets Plan Well Before We Do Movies Leila Djansi

Name:  633653614_150886.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  20.1 KB
    Talented US based Ghanaian movie writer and director, Leila Djansi has advised movie producers to take their time and plan well before they produce movies.

We should start planning; dont write your script in two days, dont develop a character in an hour, she advised. Leila was speaking in an interview with Myjoyonline.com after a press preview and media interaction of her latest work, Sinking Sands, at the Executive Theatre in Accra, Monday.

She advised that producers should not just look at making money which she said could be lost any time. What will you do with that money, you buy a car, you buy a dress and its gone. Whos going to remember that movie tomorrow? She asked.

Today, Micheal Jackson established the pattern of music video making for the world and everybody remembers him for what he did. We have to make movies that will show the world that we are not ignorant, that we can make movies too and that we have stories to also tell. She said.

Her movie, Sinking Sands is a psycho-drama that tells the tale of a couple, Jimah (Jimmy Jean-Louis) and Pabi (Ama K. Abebrese) in a lovely marriage which turns into violence and abuse when Jimah became disfigured in a domestic accident.

The story according to Leila, was born out of her personal experience. My own personal story; I had an accident when I was ten and I had a scar on my shoulder. It was hard for me fitting into friendsit gave me an inferiority complex but down the line, I grew out of it, she said.

The story delves extensively into the abuses some people especially women go through in their marriages and as per the title, Sinking Sands, one may not know how situations can be hindering or affecting them badly.

With its quality production; pictures/scenes, sounds, camera works, make-up, directing and casts, the movie has set its sights on laying a strong foundation for the movie industry and also helping Ghanaian movies cement their name internationally.

This is the directors second Ghanaian production, her first was with Akofa Edjeani Asiedu, I sing of a Well which received 11 nominations at the 2010 Africa Movie Academy Awards (AMMA). That movie had its own controversies and the bitter result did not deter the writer from still working in Ghana.

Sinking Sands, budgeted at US$1.5 million dollars, is one of the most adventurous productions to hit the Ghanaian shores as the crew had to build a whole new set (house) in a warehouse just to fit the 1998 timeline of the movie.

I know I am not going to make that money in GhanaI am not worried about it. Luckily for me, for this production, I had a lot of backing; I had an investor who said [he wants to] see that something good happen to the industry, she said.

She revealed that shes got more than eight studios bidding for the movie and it has been invited to several film festivals. The good thing about the United States market is if I shoot for US$1.5 million by law, you are not allowed to bid lower than US$1.5 million to buy it from me, she said.

Apart from Haitian-American movie star, Jimmy Jean-Louis and Ama K Abebrese, the movie also stars Yemi Blaq, Doris Sakitey, Akosua Agyepong, Chris Attoh and Trustina Aku Fafa.

There will be a VIP premiere of the movie at the College of Physicians and Surgeons building on November 6 ahead of its grand premiere at the National Theatre on November 13.

Source: myjoyonline

BBoy T

I hope those back yard producers are listening.

I hope so too man. She is doing very well with her movies.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information