+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SA 2010,African Women's Championship.Nigeria Is Champion AGAIN !

Super Moderator Pope Bitterz D'Alomo's Avatar

Default SA 2010,African Women's Championship.Nigeria Is Champion AGAIN !

South Africa Wins Opener-2-1 Against Tanzania

Midfield sensation Mamello Makhabane held her nerve to slot home a penalty, handing Banyana Banyana a deserved 2-1 win over Tanzania in a Group A of the CAF African Women Championship at the Sinaba stadium in Daveyton today.

Makhabane, who plays her club football for Sasol League national champions Palace Super Falcons in Gauteng, slotted the ball home inches wide of Tanzanian goalkeeper Fatuma Omary in the 84th minute, after the ‘Green Machine’, as Banyana are known, were awarded a penalty following a Tanzanian hand-ball infringement inside the penalty area.

Striker Mamphashe Popela scored the first goal of the CAF African Women Championship 2010 – and her ninth in a Banyana Banyana jersey – when she controlled a cross from the left from midfielder Makhabane, to fire home in a crowded penalty area in the 34th minute.

But the visitors levelled the score three minutes from the break, when Shurua Mwananahamis led a classy counter attack to provide a pin-point accurate pass to let Fatuma Bashiri run through to edge of the Banyana Banyana penalty area before firing home past SA goalkeeper Thoko Mndaweni.

Banyana Banyana coach Augustine Makalakalane introduced second half substitutes Jermaine Seoposenwe and Amanda Dlamini, with Capetonian Seoposenwe, who plays for Santos in the Western Cape Sasol League, proving more than a handful on the left-hand side of midfield.

The Tanzanian task was made even harder when they were reduced to 10 players after the inspirational Mwananahamis was sent from the field with five minutes on play remaining, having taken a dive in the Banyana Banyana penalty area in the hope of earning a penalty. This saw her collecting her second yellow card of the match and earning an early shower.

“The wind was a challenge for our team in the second half,” said Banyana Banyana coach Augustine Makalakalane afterwards. The Tanzanians played a completely different style to how they played when Banyana Banyana beat them 6-0 in a friendly international in Tembisa in July. Back then, they played an open style game, while today they played sometimes with 6 players behind the ball so it was difficult for us to penetrate.”

Ghana plays her first game against Algeria on the 2nd of November.

cafonline
    Last edited by Pope Bitterz D'Alomo; 14th November 2010 at 05:30 PM.
    Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. ~Aesop

Ignorance can be educated,drunkenness sobered,craziness medicated but there is no cure for STUPIDITY

Nkwocha hat-trick aids Falcons sink Mali

A first half hat-trick from striker Perpertua Nkwocha and second half efforts from Stella Mbachu and Francisca Ordega powered Nigeria’s Super Falcons to a 5-0 victory over Mali on Monday in their Group A encounter at the Sinaba Stadium.
    The five-time winners dominated the clash and could have scored more had the frontline been economical in front of goal, yet launched their campaign at the 7th CAF Women’s Championship on a winning note.
    Veteran striker Nkwocha proved her doubters wrong as she banged in three goals to confirm her status as one of the players to watch at the championship.
    The 34-year old forward, named CAF Women’s Footballer of the Year in 2004 and 2005 unsettled the Malians with the opener as early as the first minute.
    On 16 minutes, the Swedish-based player scored the second goal before completing her hat-trick three minutes from half time.
    The Malians could only afford to chase the shadows of the Nigerians, despite displaying some individual brilliance.
    Midfielder Mbachu scored the fourth goal on 70 minutes before 17-year old Ordega completed the rout six minutes from time with her first goal for the Falcons.
    By the victory, the Falcons assumed the top spot of Group A on superior goals despite having three points apiece with hosts South Africa; Tanzania and Mali follow in that order with no points.
    Nigeria next play South Africa on Thursday, November 4 whilst Mali face Tanzania on the same day.

AWC 2010 Photos

Nigeria's Falcons celebrate win against Mali

South African player battle Tanzanian

South Africa celebrates goal
    Last edited by Pope Bitterz D'Alomo; 2nd November 2010 at 10:08 PM.

Ignorance can be educated,drunkenness sobered,craziness medicated but there is no cure for STUPIDITY

In two of Group B match-ups,Ghana came back from a goal down to beat Algeria 2-1. The defending champions, Equitorial Guinea were held to a pulsating 2-2 by Cameroon.
    Ghana will face Cameroon on November 5th in Sinaba.

cool, thanks for the updates megameister .... I know the ladies will make us proud!!!

all go to the same place ;all come from dust and to the dust all return. who knows if the human spirit rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?
    ecclesiastes 3:20-21 :-x

Pope and Mega, you guys gradually getting me to love ladies football paa. cheers for the updates. I now know what i have been missing. I always keep my eye off the ball and see beyond. lol

Ghana Beats Algeria in their AWC opener

Early goal seems to be the norm in this group as just like the first game of the day, the first goal of this match was recorded only after four minutes.

Ghana had survived a goal mouth scramble off a corner kick in the 2nd minute but in the 4th minute, Ouadah Isma from the right wing sent in a cross that was mis-judged by goal keeper Quansah Gladys in goal for Ghana and the ball sailed into the net. Clearly a goal keeping howler.
    Another clanger by the Ghana goal keeper in the 10th minute which resulted into a needless corner from an harmless ball into the box sent the Ghana bench into action.

Veteran Goal keeper, Memunatu Sulemana, was sent to the warm-ups and in the 17th minute, the panicky Quansah gladys was substituted for the more experienced Memunatu Sulemana.
    Boakye Portia was a thorn in the flesh of the Algerians as her neat runs and mesmerizing dribbles down the left flank was the major spark in the plugs of the Ghanaian team.

In the 23rd minute, a direct shot at goal by the enterprising Boakye Portia after displacing an Algerian defender went only inches wide but left the Algerian goal keeper in some discomfort.
    Portia continued to trouble the Algerians and after winning a corner kick, Abdul safia tested the goal keeper with another power driver from the resulting short but quickly taken corner kick.
    The Algerians did not allow the Ghana team any room to operate and they were not
    afraid of shooting from long ranges, one which resulted into the opening goal.

A neat passing move in the 37th minute between Ankomah Diana and Adaku Agnes caught the Algerian defence napping but Ankomah Diana could only shoot straight at the Algerian goal keeper from inside the box.

Algeria replaced Zerrouki Dalila with Moussaoui Sabinna in the 40th minute after former complained of some discomfort and she left the pitch in crutches. The referee's whistle sounded and Algeria led 1-0 into the break.

The Ghana bench must have read the game perfectly as they swiftly brought on old war horse, Adjoa Bayor at the start of the second half and the black queens finally found their rhythm with the introduction of the Germany based player and after several pressure, the Algerians gave in.
    In the 62nd minute, Aduaku Agnes scored the exact replica of the one her team conceded in the first half. She collected the ball a few metres away from the Algeria box and a lob into the box was only parried into the net by the goal keeper Rezig Nassira.

The Algerians had clearly lost steam and were by now defending for dear lives but not for long.
    In the 72nd minute, the black queens were rewarded the winning goal after a neat run down the left flank, the ball was squared into the box and Aduaku Agnes was on hand to pick the ball, displaced an on rushing defender and slotted the ball into the roof of the net.

The Algerian bench made some desperate replacements including bringing on Meftah sabbah for the ineffective Bengueddoudj Safia but it was too little too late to salvage the game.
    The Ghanaian team grew stronger with the minutes but the opponents were clearly not as match fit as they looked from the start.
    The time tickled away and only a couple of feeble onslaughts from both sides characterized the closing stages.
    The match ended with scoreline remaining 2-1 advantage Ghana now table toppers with 3 points ahead of cameroon and Equatorial Guinea with a point apiece in group B.

Post Match Reaction to the Ghana vs Algeria Game

Anthony Edusei, coach of Ghana “We have experienced players”
    The coach of Ghana explains how he defeated his opponent.
    You were being led at the first half by your opponent and you equalized to finally win the game. What was your secret?
    We were being led at the first half. After going to the locker room, I talked to my players telling them that there was no reason for them to lose the match. I quickly made some changes at the midfield and attack line. I changed strategy and placement of players. That is why Ghana attacked forcefully in the second half.
    You will be meeting Cameroon and Equatorial Guinea in your next two matches; how do you hope to handle the matches?
    We know that Equatorial Guinea is the defending champion and Cameroon is a serious contender. I have not seen any of those teams play. I sent my Assistants to watch those two matches and I am awaiting their reports. When I have the reports I will make an analysis and see how to handle these two opponents. The strategy against Cameroon and Equatorial Guinea will depend on the reports that will be given me.
    Will Nigeria not be an obstacle if Ghana qualifies for the second round?
    It is true that Ghana has not made it against Nigeria in past competitions, but this year we have renewed our team and we have experienced players. If we meet Nigeria on our way this time it will not be easy for them to beat us. We had nice time in Germany for our preparation. And the way our players have been evolving I am convinced that if we qualify for the World Cup, we will leave our mark.

Florence Okoe, captain of Ghana “I am convinced that the trophy is at our doorstep”
    “We started off the match badly, but when replacements were made we took control of the midfield. That is why we dominated our opponent in the second half. We have been used to leaving the competition early, but this time around we have a new team which is capable of beating any team in this CAN. With our determination at this moment, I am convinced that the trophy is at our doorstep”.

Chih Accedine, Coach of Algeria: “My players gave their best”
    “It is normal to prepare like everyone else. We chose to play matches in France. For us, it worked well. We have a team that fought hard within 90 minutes, and which was leading at the first half. I think we lost against a tough Ghanaian team. It is an occasion for us to play against big teams in this competition. I think my players gave their best. The score could have been otherwise, but football is like that. Ghana scored two goals and maintained the score, they deserve the victory. We would have scored two goals in the first half. The benefitted from two defensive errors from our players to take the lead. My players will go in for subsequent matches with the same morale. It is very important for us to play with world class teams. We will analyze our game and see what did not work and make corrections for the next match

Safia Bengueddoudj, Algerian player: “We are here to give our best”
    “We did our best but unfortunately it did not work out. We handled the game well and I think that against Equatorial Guinea and Cameroon we will do same. There is no team that frightens us in the next two matches. We are here to give our best no matter the team in front of us. We will play the next two matches like we played the one against Ghana. We came to this CAN to give our best and if the trophy comes to us, we will not let it go”.

Ghana vs Algeria photos

photos curtesy of cafonline.
    Last edited by Pope Bitterz D'Alomo; 3rd November 2010 at 01:42 PM.

BBoy T

Good to see our hard bodied women winning. I am hoping for a qualification to the World Cup, Let's go Ghana !

Nigeria's Super Falcons vs South Africa's Banyana Banyana An Epic Battle At Hand

It's a battle we have in our hands as two perennial rivals square up against each other in what has been termed the clash of the giants in Group A.

Nigeria playing for the first time in the Africa cup of nations for women without the tag of defending champions takes on the host and eternal rivals, South Africa in the ongoing 7th CAF Africa women championship, SOUTH AFRICA 2010.
    Banyana Banyana laboured to a 2-1 victory over the Twiga stars of Tanzania in the opening match of the competition while Nigeria strolled to a comfortable 5-0 win against Mali but the statistics could be deceiving going by the fact that the past encounters between both sides had been closely contested.
    The Nigerians buoyed by the fact that they have never lost to South Africa in any CAF organized encounters could suffer from overconfidence and they could be in for a shock from the in-form host just like the 0-1 loss to Ghana some years ago on home soil.

The Super Falcons underwent a surgical operation after suffering the indignity of losing to Equatorial Guinea in the semi-finals of the 2008 edition in Malabo with the early signs manifesting from the manner they struggled to qualify from the group stage behind South Africa. The unenviable feat saw them
    surrendering the African crown for the first time. The ones deemed to be tired legs were weeded out and in came a different set of younger players from the U-20 team that stunned the world in Germany and the U-17 side to Trinidad and Tobago both this year. Only four players with previous nations cup experience were included in the team to this competition.
    The South Africans on the other hand, seem to be enjoying the best period in their women's football history going by their achievements in the last two years.
    Banyana Banyana played to the final of the AWC two years ago after surprising book makers by coming tops from a group which included Nigeria and Ghana. But for the overwhelming home support and some extraordinary football played by Equatorial Guinea in the final, South Africa got less than they deserved after adding Cameroon to their list of big name casualties with an emphatic victory in the semi-finals.
    South Africa's last appearance in the final of the nations cup was at the 2000 edition which she hosted but the feat obviously re-awakened the football spirit in the South African girls and two years later, South Africa qualified for their first ever world cup appearance.

The U-17 girls picked one of the three available slots for Africa and rubbed shoulders with the best the world could offer at the 2010 U-17 world cup in Trinidad and Tobago. South Africa and Nigeria both have 3 points and a victory for either side could mean a leg already in the semi-final stage of the competition.
    It's the clash of the elephants, the grass surely will be there to suffer.

Nigeria vs South Africa
    At Sinaba Stadium, Daveyton

South Africa (1) 1

Van Wyk 44

Nigeria (2) 2

Nkwocha 22, 39

Nigeria kept their unbeaten record against Banyana Banyana intact on Thursday, beating the hosts in the second round, Group B game of the Caf African Women's Championship.

Banyana were determined to finally get a victory against the five-time Caf Championships winners, having previously come close only to let themselves down. But the Super Falcons held on to their lead, maintaining their place at the top of group A on six points.

Ranked third in Africa, Banyana played much better than they did in their opening game against Tanzania. Unfortunately their improved performance at a packed Sinaba Stadium on Thursday was not enough to get them the victory.

Nigeria's star player in their opening game against Mali on Monday, Perpetua Nkwocha, was on top of her game again, scoring a brace in the first half to seal the points for Nigeria. The veteran midfielder has now scored five goals in two games and is already a strong contender for the Player of the Tournament award.

Nigeria started attacking early on and South Africa found it hard to contain their strikers at times. With all the pressure, the Banyana defenders eventually gave in, conceding the first goal after they had just held on to their clean sheet for 20 minutes.

Nigerian midfielder Ebere Orji was quick to play a ball through Banyana central defenders Janine Van Wyk and Amanda Sister for Nkwocha – who was clear of goal – to coolly slot home.

Nkwocha then silenced the home crowd six before half time when she scored her second goal from a corner.

Banyana pulled one back through Van Wyk on the stroke of half time, the defender unleashing a thunderbolt from a set piece, their only reason to smile on the day.

The hosts are on three points after two games in the group and will have to win their final game against Mali to qualify for the semifinals.

They drew 2-2 with the same Mali side just over three weeks ago in a friendly game and would know that they are no pushovers.

Thanks for the updates bro

Mali beat Tanzania yesterday by 4 goals to 3 in a Group A encounter. In group B today,defending champions Equitorial Guinea pipped Algeria by a lone goal. Ghana will face -off against Cameroon this afternoon at Sinaba.

Standings thus far :

Group A

Nigeria--6pts
    South Africa--3pts
    Mali--3pts
    Tanzania--0pts

Group B

Eq.Guinea--4pts
    Ghana--3pts
    Cameroon--1pt
    Algeria--0pt

Ghana vs Nigeria final for sho'

Ghana were beaten by Cameroon this afternoon by 2-1.By this loss Ghana has to win at all cost against the defending champions,Equatorial Guinea come November 8th in order to clinch the second spot of the group.Cameroon plays Algeria next, a loss to Algeria will give Ghana some hope should Ghana beat E.Guinea.

E.Guinea beat Algeria 1-0.

Cameroon 2-1 Ghana- Match report and photos.

Cameroon were the first out of the blocks, immediately winning a corner kick in the 2nd minute of the game and Goal keeper Memunatu Sulemana was at alert the moment it was taken.

Ghana too also showed they were not ready to take the back seat as a brilliant free-kick few metres from the edge of the box taken by Boakye Portia only went inches wide in the 4th minute.

We are surely in for a hot contest as Cameroon strikers Aboudi Onguene and Ngono Mani both tested Memunatu Sulemana with two strikes in quick sucession in the 6th minute. The black queens goal keeper deserved a pat on the back for keeping both shots at bay.

The Lioness sure appear more determined at this opening stages as another long range shot by Ngo Nduombouk only went narrowly wide.
    Cameroon were winning corner kicks upon corner kicks after retaining the better of the possession and with the minutes tickling away, they looked the more likely side to find the back of the net.

In the 25th minute and against the run of play, Ghana struck. Abdul Rahman Safia placed a pass to Aduaku Agnes on the right wing and from an impossible angle, she placed the ball right under the legs of goal keeper Jumbone Julienne to send shock waves across the stadium.

The Lioness will just not let it be and they continued to mount pressure. In the 30th minute, Memunatu Sulemana was once again called into action from a close range effort but her push returned to a Cameroonian striker and under pressure, Ghana's Saabi Ama fouled the striker. The referee Chiwaya Pamela wasted no time in pointing to the penalty spot and Manie Patiance sent the goal keeper the wrong way to restore parity.
    30 minutes gone and it was already 1-1.

The Cameroonians were having a field day mounting series of attacks after attacks and in the 36th minute, Ngono Mani released another rocket from outside the box. Memunatu Sulemana once again parried to safety but the resultant corner kick in the 38th minute was headed in by Ngo Marlyse after Ghana failed to clear their lines. A well deserved lead by the Lioness but the game still promises lots of fireworks.
    It was the hottest 45 minutes of the competition so far and the fans remained on the edge of their seats all through.

Just like the 1st game, The Ghana bench immediately sent on Adjoa Bayor at the beginning of the 2nd half and the first real chance of the game went their way with the Cameroonian goal keeper making an unorthodox save with the leg from a Ghana free kick in the 48th minute.

The Black Queens definitely must attack to equalize and the Cameroonian bench read that perfectly by changing their strategy to catch their opponents on a counter. The coach brought on Ngock grace and Beyene Bebey at the same time to do the hatchet job.

Heavily marked Boakye Portia drove a powerful free-kick directly at the Cameroon goal keeper in the 65th minute and that was as good as it got.
    The rest of the match was characterized by injury calls and infringements, a situation that did not go down with the fans as they saw it as time wasting pranks. It was shouts of concurrence as the Referee signified 6 minutes of additional time.
    Boakye Portia who did not have a great game by her standards, should have equalized on the dot of time but she miscued with the goal keeper at her mercy but the black queens also watched in agony as they had a shot rebound off the cross bar in additional time.

It was soon game over and Cameroon had secured a revenge of their 1-2 loss to Ghana at the 2006 edition.
    Cameroon now are joint tops with Equatorial Guinea on 4 points, Ghana are 3rd on 3 points while Algeria place bottom with no points.

South Africa Send Mali Packing in a 4-0 Rout

It was a sold out crowd at the Sinaba stadium as the fans trooped in to watch what turned out to be an eventful but a very entertaining game.
    Banyana Banyana took the attack straightaway to the opponents from kickoff, restraining the Malians to their own half of the field and the Mali goal keeper, Samake Goundo was quickly called into a brave save as quickly as the 6th minute.
    In the 23rd minute, Van Wyk should have put South Africa ahead but her trade mark free-kick was perfectly parried away by the opposing goal keeper for a corner kick. The subsequent kick was also goal bound before a Malian defender cleared with the head right on the goal line.
    Banyana Banyana were now being urged on by the fans and they were winning corner kicks after corner kicks while the Malians were busy soaking the pressure.
    Another Van Wyk free-kick in the 31st minute was once again parried away by the Mali goal keeper but the corner kick was headed home by Dlamini Amanda to send the fans singing away.
    It's South Africa 1- 0 Mali and the game must have just busted to life.
    South Africa could have increased the lead in the 38th minute but Skiti Nocawe who was put through on a break away, could only shoot straight at the goal keeper inside the Mali eighteen yards box.
    Mali was able to mount some serious pressure, coming out of their shell in the last five minutes of the half. A powerful free-kick right on the dot of time from Sacko Aminata was parried away by the South Africa goal keeper for the last action in the half before Referee Dia Fadouma blew the whistle for recess.

The second half started on the same tempo as the first half but this time, Mali were the quicker off the blocks. It was now or never for the Mali ladies and the bench quickly brought on Traore kebe for Doumbia Fatoumata.
    The game could have been wrapped in the 62nd minute as once again, Skiti Nocawe found herself through on goal but just like the first half, she finished off poorly, this time blasting skywards with the Mali goal keeper at her mercy.
    By the 75th minute, it was game over for the brave Malian team as Seoposenwe Jermaine who had just come into the game as a substitute was given the freedom of Rome on the right wing and her angled cross was only tipped to the path of a South African striker by the goal keeper, and Dlamini Amanda did not hesitate to slot home her 2nd of the evening.
    The Malians immediately became dejected and anymore fireworks in them became extinguished in the 82nd minute as substitute Seoposenwe Jermaine took to shreds the whole of the Malian defence before firing home at close range.
    The South African flags and the rendition of the national anthem then took over the stadium while the Malians broke down in tears.
    There was still enough time to make it 4-0 in the 89th minute as a free-kick outside the box was scrambled home by sister Amanda although two Malian players, including the goal keeper got seriously injured in the process.
    That led to a lengthy delay as the two players received medical attention but all that only delayed the victory party which commenced around the stadium immediately the referee blew off the game after 4 minutes of added time.
    South Africa through to the semi-finals, Mali eliminated.

Results:
    Mali 0-4 South Africa
    Tanzania 0-3 Nigeria

The USA are on the verge of missing the World Cup after a shocking 2-1 semi-final defeat they suffered at the hands of Mexico.The U.S. now faces a third-place match against Costa Rica for the right to play Italy in a home-and-home playoff series for the final berth to the 2011 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

Ghana will suffer the same fate if they fail to beat Equatorial Guinea tomorrow.

Ghana lines up in a do or die match-up against defending champions Equatorial Guinea.

Ghana, third in the Group, must now beat defending champions Equatorial Guinea today, to have any clear chance of advancing in the African Woman Competition, which is on-going in South Africa

Ghana Line-up

01.Quansah Gladys
    02. Ibrahim Aminatu 
    03. Saabi Ama  
    04. Abdul Mumin Sakina 
    05. Ashitey Veronica
    06. Okoe Florence 
    07. Abdul Rahman Safia 
    08. Sika Akua 
    09. Ankomah Diana  
    10. Bayor Adjoa 
    11. Asare Grace
    12. Aduaku Agnes 
    13. Avoe Yaa
    14. Kpobi Patience  
    15. Zikpi Leticia 
    16. Sulemana Memunatu  
    17. Boakye Portia 
    18. Nettey Doris 
    19. Berko Mary
    20. Coleman Nancy
    21. Mohammed Leila

Ghana 1-3 Equatorial Guinea

Ghana was walloped by E.Guinea in a lackluster game dominated by the defending champions. With this result Ghana places third in Group B with E.Guinea clinching the top spot. Cameroon qualifies for the semi-finals alongside E.Guinea after their 2-1 win against Algeria.

From Group A, Nigeria takes the maximum points(9) to top the group, with South Africa placing second. Nigeria will face Cameroon while E.Guinea plays South Africa. Winners of both matches will advance to the final which also guarantees them a place as Africa's representatives at the World Cup to be held in Germany next year.

African Women’s Championship 2010 Appeal
    Give AIDS the Red Card
    To prevent mothers from dying and babies from becoming infected with HIV

As captains and players of teams competing in the 2010 African Women’s Championship in South Africa, we appeal to football players and fans across Africa to celebrate life and help prevent mothers from dying and babies from becoming infected with HIV.

We stand with captains of the participating teams and UNAIDS and its partners to strive for an HIV-free generation.

During a 90-minute football match almost 80 babies will become newly infected, and each day nearly 1200 babies are born with HIV worldwide, most of them in Africa. Often, they and their mothers are not getting lifesaving treatment.

We can save babies and their mothers from HIV by providing counseling and testing for pregnant women and their partners, and treatment if needed.

Together we must Give AIDS the Red Card to prevent mothers from dying and babies from becoming infected with HIV.

It’s 2008 replayed

The semi-finalists for the 2010 AWC, South Africa 2010 have now emerged and it is the same set of countries that made it through at the last edition in Equatorial Guinea.
    Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, South Africa and Nigeria played at the semi-final stage of Equatorial Guinea 2008 and as it is, those four teams have also beat off competition from others to breeze into the last 4 of this year’s edition.
    The only difference now is that the fixtures are not the same as last time and that means we cannot have the two teams that played to the final in 2008 repeat the same feat.
    Nigeria will have their hands full when they play in the first semi-final against Cameroon while the host South Africa must contend with the defending champions Equatorial Guinea for a place in the final.
    Nigeria and Cameroon are no strangers to themselves and it must be stressed that the two teams in fact played themselves twice in the 2004 edition hosted by the same South Africa.
    At the group stage, the Lioness showed a lot of guts storming back from 0-2 down to draw 2-2 against Nigeria but the Cameroun team then further surprised many by displaying their naivety on the big stage, going down 5-0 to the same Falcons on the final day.
    A repeat performance was to follow in 2006 and this time it was in the semi-finals and the red hot Nigerian ladies dished out another 5-0 spanking to the Cameroon team.
    Cameroon and Nigeria seem a sure bet in every tournament and the 2008 edition was no exception. This time, both sides met in the losers final and Cameroon should have won this time, though the more experienced but out of form Nigerian side still ran away 4-3 winners on penalty after full time had ended 1-1 apiece.
    The results between both nations become very embarrassing if the 6-0 drubbing in the semis of the inaugural edition in 1998 and the 3-0 spanking in the group stage of the 2000 edition is to be taken into consideration. The Cameroon team since the inception of the Africa women championship can only boast of a solitary point against Nigeria but this particular occasion, it’s certain that it will be wits for wits
    Both sides are yet to lose a game so far in this competition and according to the Cameroonian coach, their ambition is to qualify for the World Cup next year.
    “I won’t lose a game here. I am playing to the final and lifting the cup. Our aim is to qualify for the world cup in Germany and to do that, we must play to the final and in the process, we will not lose a single game”, he boasted.
    The second semi-final is between South Africa and defending champions, Equatorial Guinea.
    This is another grudge match in the waiting as both sides met in the final of the last edition with Equatorial Guinea running away with a 2-1 victory to become the first team to dethrone the Falcons as African champions.
    The reverse is the case now and South Africa should also be counting on home support to overwhelm the Equatorial Guinea team but nothing should be taken away from the defending champions.
    They have also not lost a game so far in the competition and having survived and finished tops in a group that had the likes of Cameroon and Ghana, then they better not be under estimated.
    The South Africans are having their best run in women football history, finishing as finalists 2 years ago, playing at the FIFA women U-17 world cup this year and now a birth in the semi-final of the AWC.
    The results of the semis will surely be a difficult one to predict, at least now that octopus is no more.

Equitorial Guinea Raises Eyebrows At the African Women's Championship.

Controversial player,Simpore Salimata of Equatorial Guinea

The semifinals of the 2010 African Women's Championship will be played at the Sinaba Stadium in Johannesburg on Thursday, with the exact same line-up as two years ago.

On that occasion, then hosts Equatorial Guinea met Nigeria in the Last 4, winning 1-0, while South Africa beat Cameroon 3-0.

The semifinals this year see the tournament favourites Nigeria take on fellow West African side Cameroon, while South Africa meet Equatorial Guinea in the other semi, which is a repeat of the 2008 final that Guinea won 2-1.

But Equatorial Guinea's participation in the tournament has left many unhappy, because they are quite obviously going against FIFA rules … and CAF don't appear to care.

They are an expensively-assembled group of players from around the world, put together against FIFA regulations by the tiny, but oil-rich, country.

There are only a handful of locals in the Equatorial Guinea squad, who have instead paid players from around the world to play for their country and fast-tracked them into their national team by giving them citizenship.

They have women from Brazil, Cameroon, the Ivory Coast, Nigeria and Senegal, and there has already been a protest at the tournament that Equatorial Guinea’s top striker Salimata Simpore is actually from the Ivory Coast and played for her own country in the qualifiers against Gabon earlier this year.

But CAF have waved the protest away, claiming insufficient evidence, without launching any investigation.

Simpore scored a brilliant goal on Monday to see Equatorial Guinea to a 3-1 win over Ghana and top place in Group B.

There was also a diving header from Nigerian Chinasa Okoro and a pivotal role from Brazilians Jumaria de Santana in midfield and Miriam Silva in goal.

The matches on Thursday are of huge importance though, as the winners will be the two African representatives at the FIFA Women’s World Cup, to be hosted by Germany next year in June and July.

Nigeria and Cameroon meet in the other semifinal.
    Last edited by Pope Bitterz D'Alomo; 10th November 2010 at 03:29 PM.

Nigeria Rip Cameroon Apart by 5 goals to 1

The Super Falcons have not only booked their place in the final of the Africa women championship, they have also picked one of the two slots available for a place at the 2011 FIFA women's world cup in Germany.

Perpetua Nkwocha should have recorded the first goal for Nigeria in the 1st minute of the match having being put one on one with the Cameroon goal keeper by a cross from stella Mbachu, but she headed tamely straight into her hands. The Cameroon ladies were clearly caught napping.

It is an open play strategy from both sides and in the 9th minute, Nigeria got another shot at goal from Ukaonu Helen which went wide after the goal keeper had fumbled with a corner kick.
    In the 11th minute, Nigeria got a free-kick right on the edge of the Cameroonian box as break away striker, Desire Oparanozie got pulled back by a cameroon defender, she was lucky to get away without a caution but Nigeria went just inches wide from the shot taken by Helen Ukaonu.
    Nigeria seemed to have received the inspiration to pour forward and it was shot after shots that created anxious moments in the opponents vital area.

Cameroon finally got a shot on goal in the 24th minute through Ngo Marlyse but it was not a big deal for goal keeper Precious Dede to deal with.
    Nigeria were unlucky not to be one goal up in the 25th minute as Ebere Orji headed against the cross bar from a corner kick with the Cameroon goal keeper completely beaten
    Cameroon were getting physical with the Nigerian girls and in the 27th minute Bou Cathy got herself a red card for insulting the referee after she was initially yellow carded for a foul on Nigerian winger, Stella Mbachu.
    Nigeria won a corner kick in the 32nd minute of the game and what might turned out to be the most beautiful goal of the tournament was scored by Helen Ukaonu has she placed the corner kick right beyond everyone in the box and straight into the net with goal keeper Jumbone Julienne well beaten.

Cameroon a goal down and a player down with the game not yet mid way only meant they must double their effort to get back in the game.
    Danger woman, Aboudi Gabrielle continued to dazzle for Cameroon and she had a shot at goal in the 43rd minute that went narrowly wide.
    Ngo Marlyse also sent in another driver in the 45th minute but Nigerian goal keeper, Precious Dede was having a great day in the office.
    The game took a dimension for the worse for Cameroon in added time as the Cameroon defence had no answer to Stella Mbachu's dazzling run on the right wing and her precised pull out found the head of striker Desire Oparanozie and the ball sailed straight into the net for the 2nd goal of the game.
    There was no time for play to resume as the referee blew off the game for the end of the first half shortly afterwards.

The second half started with Cameroon well aware that it was now or never, and they did themselves justice by scoring early on in the 47th miniute.
    Cameroon won a free kick around the centre circle and a direct kick at goal was headed goal wards by a Nigerian defender and that left goal keeper Precious Dede stranded. Ngock Grace did not hesitate to take advantage of the mix up and she headed into the net to bring Cameroon back into the game.
    It's 1-2 at this point and there is a lot to play for in the minutes to come.

Nigeria made a substitution in the 10th minute, taking out Ebere Orji who has been disappointing in this competition and bringing on Sunday Esther. Cameroon immediately followed suit taking out goal scorer Ngock Grace and bringing on Enganamoit deborah.
    Any hope of Cameroon getting into the game got badly extinguished in the 58th minute with a school girl error coming from goal keeper Jumbone Julienne. She kicked the ball right at danger strker, Perpetua Nkwocha and she seized the opportunity to increase her goal tally to 8 in this competition. She buried the ball right at the left angle and the cameroon team were left to rue their luck.
    Aboudi Gabrielle tried to conjure another magic in the 60th minute but her ferocious shot was kept under wraps by Precious Dede in goal for Nigeria.
    Cameroon should have taken advantage of a slip by the Nigeria defence in the 65th minute but Aboudi Gabrielle allowed the opponents to recover and kick away the ball after she was left face to face with the goal keeper.

Cameroon surely will not go down without giving a fight.
    Nigeria put the game beyond redemption in the 64th minute catching the Cameroon defence sleeping with a quick throw-in and Helen Ukaonu quickly crossed in for Perpetua Nkwocha to volley home from close range. The goal was her 9th of the competition.
    Perpetua Nkwocha broke away in the 80th minute minute and was badly brought down in the box after out running the whole of the defence and was clear on goal. Referee Sagno Therese did not hesitate to point towards the penalty spot and it was an hat-trick for Perpetua Nkwocha as she calmly picked her angle to record her 10th goal of the tournament.
    She could even afford the luxury of blazing wide in the 85th minute when clear on goal but heavily pressurized.

Nigeria surely will be at the world cup next year in Germany, for Cameroon, they live to fight another day.
    The referee ended the game and the celebrations began. Nigeria once again books her place in the final of the Africa women championship.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information