+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What do women want from men in 2010?

Default What do women want from men in 2010?

It's a question that has kept men on their toes for millennia.

What on earth do women want from men? Do they want chiselled and buffed metrosexuals, as familiar with the inside of a gym as they are with the contents of a Jamie Oliver cookbook?

Do they want reliable breadwinners and nest builders, the sort of men who are not only around for the long haul, but can pay for it too?

Do they want hopeless romantics, hard-nosed realists or a confusing mixture of the two?

These questions would be easier to answer if women's preferences stayed the same. Like everything else, however, they change with the times, and often reflect them. What women want from men in 2010 may bear only a passing resemblance to what they wanted 30 years ago.

No wonder we're confused.

Happily, help is at hand. The company behind dating site match.com has just released the Lovegeist report, a study tracking changing attitudes towards love and relationships in the UK.

It's a document that covers all aspects of dating and relationships, but if you boil it down a few patterns start to emerge. There's no doubt that the woman of 2010 is a girl of her times - smart, savvy and realistic - but what she's looking for may not be as obvious as you think.

Brad Pitt need not apply

Perhaps predictably, the woman of 2010 is not looking for a certified salad dodger who gets a sweat on climbing off the sofa. But nor does she want some skinny waif.

According to Lovegeist, 38% of modern women would choose a slender man, but nearly the same number - 34% - would be happy with a man carrying a few extra pounds.

As we'll confirm later, the woman of 2010 is a realist above all. She might lust after Brad Pitt, but in real life she's not looking for perfection. Thank goodness.

Signs of the times

The Lovegeist report confirms that love and relationships are at the mercy of economic conditions like everything else. The recession has stamped its mark on what women are looking for in men.

But don't despair if you haven't got a spare bob or two. None of this means that women are looking for sugar daddies to shower them with gifts. Economic woes have led women to focus more on emotional security and less on grand romantic gestures.

In the study, just 14% of daters aged between 25 and 40 see a high income as a deciding factor in picking a potential partner, whereas 96% believe that feeling emotionally secure is important.

When it comes to wage packets, size isn't everything for the woman of 2010, it seems.

"Today's women have realised that true commitment is something that money and a wedding ring can't always buy," says Kate Taylor, match.com's relationship expert. "Diamonds may be a girl's best friend, but they may not be her best choice for a life partner!"

Class not cash

Don't get us wrong. Nobody is saying that the woman of 2010 would throw glitzy gifts right back in your face, or rip up those weekend tickets to Paris and storm off to Bognor.

But, as Kate Taylor says, none of that will really impress her anymore. "Gone are the days of bling - instead, a girl would rather you noticed her particular tastes and catered to those instead."

It's the same if you're just at the dating stage, says Taylor. Forget expensive restaurants - she's more likely to fall head over heels for walks in the park, picnics and home-cooked meals. She wants simple pleasures, and a bit of thought before a lot of expense.

No Milk Tray man

If thoughtfulness is in, so is real companionship. In difficult times, we all want someone on our team. It may be a cliché, but we want someone we can depend on.

"[In times of anxiety], we know that people will perhaps start to value the things that are not so materially obvious... There's nothing more empowering than knowing someone's watching your back," says psychologist Dr Cecilia d'Felice.

In other words, the woman of 2010 isn't looking for an alpha male offering promises of a fairytale future. She's looking for someone who'll be there when she needs him.

According to Kate Taylor, "what they're looking for is real-world romance - a partner they can count on day to day, not one who drops in like the Milk Tray Man then scarpers. It seems that what women are looking for in 2010 is a good old-fashioned bloke - reliable, dependable, and safe. So keep your word and you'll keep your woman."

Don't be married to your job

And because your finances matter less to her, and your friendship matters more, she isn't likely to be impressed by your long hours in the office. In 2010, she wants you to be more committed to her than you are to your career.

"The majority say they want a partner who'll be there for them at home, not at the end of an office extension number," says Taylor.

All of which is pretty good news. The woman of 2010 isn't expecting Johnny Depp or Donald Trump (or even a combination of their best bits). She wants emotional security, stability and a comrade in arms. She wants a real future, not a fairytale one. She wants a romantic, not a show off.

In other words, she wants exactly the sort of stuff most of us can offer.

We can never know what women want. Their desires change like temperature.

BBoy T

Figuring out what women want is passport to suicide. I'm not venturing in that direction. NEVER ! They simply don't know what they want.

hhahaahhaahahaa you think.

What you guys fail to realize is that you cant bunch all women together and say we want to figure out what they want. You need to find out what the woman you are with wants and needs and not try to generalize it, that would help you.

We are all unique in our own different ways and so is our wants and needs.......get that into your coconut guys......and we will all be living happily together........loooooooooool

Super Moderator Pope Bitterz D'Alomo's Avatar

Women want everything they can't get. Bottom line- women want the opposite of truth. hmm let me hereby assume the position for spanking.
    Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. ~Aesop

Ignorance can be educated,drunkenness sobered,craziness medicated but there is no cure for STUPIDITY

Inconsistency at it's best.

We want what we want, just give it to us and you will have peace.
    That article is very thorough, i think the general rule of thumb is to just be open to change(the highs and the lows) when it comes to women.

all go to the same place ;all come from dust and to the dust all return. who knows if the human spirit rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?
    ecclesiastes 3:20-21 :-x

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMeister View Post
    Inconsistency at it's best.
    Hmm, Poor you, they must've sent u to the grocery line and couldn't figure out what she wanted?...lol did she say Iodized, kosher, or sea salt, yet you brought home sea salt for her to take a bath...uhuh

Super Moderator Pope Bitterz D'Alomo's Avatar

She's baccccccccck ! LOL been a while Jaida. Funny comment as always.
    Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. ~Aesop

Ignorance can be educated,drunkenness sobered,craziness medicated but there is no cure for STUPIDITY

Don't even try. Women would leave at a time when you please them the most.

Lol, thanks bro, but i've just been busy with some classes am taking, so as much as i want to be here, lectures somehow pulls me away; but i'll be checking inn every now and then. Yea, i mixed u too....hahahahahahahhahahah, so i guess it's kinda justifiable, ask Quophi koraaaaa...lol

You must be pleasing the wrong sistah then, and on top of all that the dickx is not enuf to keep her around?....Neo, do i need to inspect it?...lol

eVERY DAY I READ THIS POST JUST TO TEST NEOXIANG's THEORY..and i regrettably admit he is correct.. cause every blessed day my wants are different ..so indecisive we are
    Last edited by Enchantress; 28th October 2010 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enchantress View Post
    eVERY DAY I READ THIS POST JUST TO TEST NEOXIANG's THEORY..and i regrettably admit he is correct.. cause every blessed day my wants are different ..so indecisive we are
    Chant, I'm glad you said yours are different and not all women......I beg to differ though I don't think men have the same wants everyday either.....so I still stand by what I said earlier......we all arent the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaida View Post
    Lol, thanks bro, but i've just been busy with some classes am taking, so as much as i want to be here, lectures somehow pulls me away; but i'll be checking inn every now and then. Yea, i mixed u too....hahahahahahahhahahah, so i guess it's kinda justifiable, ask Quophi koraaaaa...lol
    Sis glad to know you are okay and it classes thats keeping you away and nothing else...Take care....mix u though.

Quote Originally Posted by CuTiEbABy View Post
    Sis glad to know you are okay and it classes thats keeping you away and nothing else...Take care....mix u though.
    Oh sis, how sometimes nothing clicks but just wonna be here and talk shitx as usual. Hmmm i mixed u more x 10

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information