+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kwasi Appiah-I am Under No Pressure Despite Disappointing Display.....

Default Kwasi Appiah-I am Under No Pressure Despite Disappointing Display.....

The man in the Black Stars hot seat, Kwasi Appiah, says he is under no pressure despite Ghana's disappointing Nations Cup draw with the Desert Warriors of The Sudan in Kumasi on October 10.

"I'm under no pressure because I have been through bigger challenges before, both as a player and when I worked with Milo (Rajevac), so what happened against The Sudan was normal," the Stars caretaker told the Graphic Sports in an interview in Accra.

That was not to suggest, however, that he was satisfied with the goalless result as he revealed that he prepared his team well enough to win the game.

"I can't say I'm not disappointed but sometimes things don't go the way you expect, even after doing everything you are supposed to do", he said.

Significantly, the Ghana Football Association (GFA) who handed Kwasi Appiah the Stars job after Rajevac's sudden departure last month have kept faith in him, believing that he has what it takes to manage the team until a new substantive coach is found.

"The point is that Milo involved me in everything he did so the rich experience gained from him has put me in a good stead to know how to handle pressure".

Explaining why he started unsung Jordan Ayew and Bernard Yao Kumordzi ahead of tested Samuel Inkoom and Emmanuel Agyemang Badu against the Sudan, the one-time Black Stars skipper said they were purely based on their performance at training as well as his game plan.

"Every coach selects players based on their performance at training, and Jordan and Kumordzi showed promise throughout our preparation, both in Accra and Kumasi", he said.

According to him Milo nearly started Jordan who features for French champions Marseille in the opening qualifier against Swaziland in August due to his impressive form, and therefore thought he was a player with the quality to solve the team's problem at the right flank.

In the case of Greece-based Kumordzi, Coach Appiah explained that in a bid to win the game he needed an offensive midfielder to partner Anthony Annan who is a defensive midfielder, and that starting another defensive midfielder like Agyemang Badu alongside Annan would not have served the purpose.

As to why home-based Seth Owusu whom he discovered did not feature in his 18-man squad for the game, he said the Kessben defender was a young player who needed to be introduced into the team gradually, especially where players like Lee Addy, Jonathan Mensah and Samuel Inkoom were all on the bench on the day.

Young promising Kwasi Appiah who returned from Egypt last Saturday after he was mandated by the Ghana Football Association (GFA) to defend Milo's tactics at the Angola 2010 Nations Cup and South Africa 2010 FIFA World Cup at a CAF technical meeting in Cairo last Thursday described the experience as being quite insightful.

Kwasi Appiah who was privileged to sit at the high table reserved for coaches of the six African teams who featured at the South Africa 2010 World Cup disclosed that he did a presentation on Ghana's tactics at the two tournaments before the technical committees of both CAF and FIFA and answered various questions, including why the Stars included some young players in their set-up and whether Michael Essien's absence affected the team or not.

Super Moderator Pope Bitterz D'Alomo's Avatar

Based on his explanation for the choices he made,he has a point. May be two matches more for him to prove the Ghanaian populace wrong will do.
    Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. ~Aesop

Ignorance can be educated,drunkenness sobered,craziness medicated but there is no cure for STUPIDITY

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information