+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stephen Appiah wants to coach Black Stars

Super Moderator Pope Bitterz D'Alomo's Avatar

Default Stephen Appiah wants to coach Black Stars

Ex Black Stars skipper Stephen Appiah has in his first radio interview since his retirement from the national team, declared his interest to take up the Black Stars job in the near future.

Appiah who announced his retirement from International Football after protracted injuries, however told Citi FM he would in the mean time want to concentrate on his career at his new Italian club, Cesena.

He told Citi Breakfast Show host, Moro Awudu emphatically that his decision to retire from the national team is final and nothing would force him to return to the national team.
    “In life it is said that never say never but I think that on this decision I don’t think that I will reconsider it.

“I think that I have done much for my country. I played twice in the World and I have played a lot of games so I think that it is time to give chance to the young ones. Our legends like Abedi Pele, Tony Yeboah, Gargo Mohammed, Osei Kufuor, Augustine Arhinful, Yaw Preko and the rest, they paved the way for us and we did our best so that’s what I thought of and decided to retire from international football” he explained.

Appiah says he misses the team a lot especially when he receives phone calls from players like John Mensah and Samuel Nkoom. He said he still offers support and inspiration to the Black Stars anytime the team has matches to play.

“I have decided so I don’t think about it that much.”

The Former Ghana captain said it was gratifying playing for his new club Cesena which is performing creditably in the Serie A.

“I am still enjoying my time in Cesena for now” Appiah said.

Commenting on the exit of Black Stars Coach Milovan Rajevac and the hunt for a new Coach with particular reference to Ex France Captain and Ghanaian Born Marcel Desailly, Appiah noted that he only hopes that Ghana gets a suitable Trainer for the team but was not willing to mention names.

However, commenting on the issue of employing a Trainer with ample experience, Appiah gave examples of successful coaches who started with no experience saying that alone could not be a yardstick.

Asked whether he would like to coach the Black Stars someday, Appiah answered in the affirmative.

“Yes I would love to but now I am concentrating on Cesena and we would see what will happen. I would love to handle the national team one day. I am not saying the Black Stars because in everything you have to start from somewhere. May be I have to study to be an Assistant Coach and later work a lot to get that chance to Coach the Stars” he said.

Appiah was speaking to Citi FM ahead of the commissioning of a free ante-natal community clinic and a library his StepApp Foundation has built for the less-privileged people of Chorkor in Accra where he was born.

He arrived in Ghana for the commissioning on Saturday October 9, 2010.

Source: Citifm
    Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. ~Aesop

Ignorance can be educated,drunkenness sobered,craziness medicated but there is no cure for STUPIDITY

Great footballer but am not sure he has the experience to manage the stars. He should start off by coaching junior clubs. When he matures he can then set his eye on the Black star position.

Super Moderator Pope Bitterz D'Alomo's Avatar

It's a bit annoying when all of a sudden every player wants to be a coach. Just because you were once a good player doesn't guarantee you being a coach or a good one as that.
    Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. ~Aesop

Ignorance can be educated,drunkenness sobered,craziness medicated but there is no cure for STUPIDITY

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information