+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Evidence That Drinking Coffee May Reduce the Risk of Diabetes

Default New Evidence That Drinking Coffee May Reduce the Risk of Diabetes

Name:  100609111316.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  10.9 KB
    Scientists are reporting new evidence that drinking coffee may help prevent diabetes and that caffeine may be the ingredient largely responsible for this effect. Their findings, among the first animal studies to demonstrate this apparent link, appear in ACS' Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.
    Fumihiko Horio and colleagues note that past studies have suggested that regular coffee drinking may reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. The disease affects millions in the United States and is on the rise worldwide. However, little of that evidence comes from studies on lab animals used to do research that cannot be done in humans.

The scientists fed either water or coffee to a group of laboratory mice commonly used to study diabetes. Coffee consumption prevented the development of high-blood sugar and also improved insulin sensitivity in the mice, thereby reducing the risk of diabetes. Coffee also caused a cascade of other beneficial changes in the fatty liver and inflammatory adipocytokines related to a reduced diabetes risk. Additional lab studies showed that caffeine may be "one of the most effective anti-diabetic compounds in coffee," the scientists say.

Super Moderator Pope Bitterz D'Alomo's Avatar

Wasn't it this same scientist who said coffee is bad for one's health ? Anyway i can't do without my morning joe so i guess i'm safe. hehe
    Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. ~Aesop

Ignorance can be educated,drunkenness sobered,craziness medicated but there is no cure for STUPIDITY

lol, bro not sure what to believe myself.

Lol, he explained it from a physiological point of view, it doesnt mean we ought to take coffee to avoid getting diabetes. It is a well known fact that every drug has its side effects, but we judge drugs by their efficacy, that is how well the desired effect can be achieved with minimal toxicity to the individual. But anyway, to explain it, caffeine is described as a drug-induced tremor, and its intake cause involuntary muscle spasms whether mild or or in great proportions. The fact of the matter is, the action of muscles contracting and relaxing makes use of chemical energy, in the form of sugars that are stored in the body to generate body heat. ANd due to this, sugars are quickly transported to muscle tissue to be quickly broken down to expend this energy. Therefore, he derived his theory from the fact that caffeine can actually help in increasing metabolism of sugar in the body so it does not accumulate to cause type 2 diabetes. However, the effect of caffeine is not enough to safely effect the the increased metabolism of sugar in muscles to significantly change blood glucose levels. Instead, it can cause more harm than good since the central nervous system is unneccessarily hyped by caffeine to cause these muscular tremors, it may also affect other physiological activities as well. But true, caffeine intake can cause muscle tremors which can aid in glucose metabolism, but i wouldnt recomment it because of the enormity of the side effects.

PS: Does feel gud to be back.. lol stay healthy brothers!

Welcome back bro. You are the moderator of this joint so it is nice to know you are back in charge. Thanks for the health tip.

LOL.. need i thank u? lool but 10q.. bigh ups man.. this joint is getting the attention it deserves!

drinking coffee diminishes large amounts of water from ur body which is essential for flashing the physical system and maintain health .....

make sure u drink lots of water if u are a habitual coffee drinker ......
    statistics are what other people have chosen to make real.

It's all a matter of common sense which unfortunately is very scarce these days. If we will all be sensible enough to do everything in moderation,these scientist wont bombard us wil so much nonsense when ever they feel like it.

Caffeine has been around for ages,the Incas swear by it and they were noted as one of the healthiest people of their time. Enough of the scientific bruhaha.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information