+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best Young Player shortlist announced by FIFA

Super Moderator Pope Bitterz D'Alomo's Avatar

Default Best Young Player shortlist announced by FIFA

FIFA’s Technical Study Group (TSG) today announced the shortlist for the Hyundai Best Young Player Award consisting of the three best young players in this year’s FIFA World Cup™.

The award continues the tradition of officially recognising the positive impact made by young footballers and is open to all participating players born on or after 1 January 1989. The final winner will be selected by the FIFA TSG and announced on FIFA.com after the 2010 FIFA World Cup™ Final. The winner will receive the coveted Hyundai Best Young Player Award trophy and a new Hyundai Tucson ix 35.

Nominees for the Hyundai Best Young Player Award at the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa:

Thomas Mueller (GER): Thomas Mueller’s rapid rise through the senior football ranks has been nothing short of remarkable. A fringe player with his club, Bayern Munich, just two seasons ago, and with a first international cap coming only in March of this year (presciently, a friendly against Argentina), the 20-year-old striker has captured the imagination of fans everywhere with his pulsating approach play and vital goals (4) and assists (3).

Giovani Dos Santos (MEX): Still only 21, Giovani Dos Santos is one of the most famous faces in the Mexico squad. “Gio”, who played much of the most recent club season on loan to Turkish side Galatasaray, burst on to the scene aged 16 when he showed prodigious technique and vision in helping Mexico to victory in the FIFA U-17 World Cup in Peru in 2005. The super-nimble young forward has become a key cog in the attractive Tricolor team and looks sure to be around for years to come.

Andre Ayew (GHA): The son of Black Stars legend Abedi Pele, ”Dede” Ayew is used to living his young life in the footballing spotlight and he has handled the attention with great poise. He already became a world champion with the U-20s in Ghana last year. As an attacking midfielder, Ayew has become an important part of Ghana’s playing system with a successful pass rate of 85 per cent.

PAST AWARD WINNERS

2006- Lukas Podolski-Germany
    2002-Landon Donovan-USA
    1998-Michael Owen-England
    1994-Marc Overmars-Netherland
    1990-Robert Prosinecki-Croatia
    1986-Enzo Scifo-Belgium
    1982-Manuel Amoros-France

click here for more
    Last edited by Pope Bitterz D'Alomo; 11th July 2010 at 04:39 PM.

Ayew is a pretty good player but sometimes he lacks real passion and seriousness exhibited by players like Messi. I am pretty glad he has been shortlisted though. Good for for him and the country i guess.

Ayew has passion, my brother. He is just overly exuberant on the ball sometimes and maturity will surely come as he grows older.For me the award should go to Muller. He has really impressed at this world cup although i would have loved my boy Gio Dos Santos to get the award.

And the winner is Germany's THOMAS MUELLER !

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information