After agreeing to settle the GH˘60,000.00 theft case against his secretary pending before the Kumasi Metropolitan Assembly Court at home, popular film artiste, Kofi Adu, alias Agya Koo, made a U-turn last week by asking the court to go ahead with the case.

"My Lord, initially, I agreed that the case should be settled out of court, but considering the disparaging remarks that the suspect had been making against me at some radio stations in Kumasi, I have decided that the case should take its normal course” Agya
Koo who sported a black suit when he appeared before the court on November 3 2011, told the presiding judge.

Agya koo

Explaining, he said, before the radio remarks, he had agreed with the father of the suspect and other family members on the out of court settlement of the case, saying “some progress were made, but I later heard that the suspect was talking about something on radio which is totally different from the case pending before you, so I want the case to take its normal course”.

Moments afterwards, the prosecutor, Inspector Kwabena Oduro Boateng, told the court that “ the suspect, Cecilia Tandor ,was alleging on a Kumasi based radio station that Agya Koo had made several attempts to rape her, and it was when he failed in those sexual advances that he made the theft case against her”

Inspector Boateng also alleged that the suspect was alleging that Agya Koo had bribed the police with a huge amount of money , hence the decision of the police to prefer the theft case against her.

Inspector Boateng said with the turn of events, the case should take its normal course and therefore appealed to the court to warn the suspect to refrain from making any disparaging remarks while the case is pending in court.

In response, counsel for the suspect, Mr Ameyaw Nyamekye, said his client was only reacting to an earlier remark that the complainant made on radio.

He therefore accepted the challenge that the case should take its normal course.

The presiding judge, Mr. William Boampong, therefore adjourned the case to November 18, 2011 for the case to be heard.
He pointed out that as a competent court of jurisdiction, it does not rely on comments on radio to determine its case.

He said with the out of court settlement now in disarray, the court would resume proceedings when the parties meet on November 18, 2011.

The suspect, Cecilia Tandor, first appeared before the court on September 12, 2011 on a charge of stealing an amount of GH˘60,000.00 belonging Agya Koo.

The court remanded her in prison custody for a week, before granting her bail in the sum of GH˘80,000.00 when she appeared on September 19, 2011.

It was when the case was called again on October 10, 2011 that the two parties decided to settle the case out of court, and report the outcome on November 3, 2011.

Earlier, the court had heard that Agya Koo is the Manager of Tetemofra Enterprise at Bantama, who employed the suspect, Cecilia Tandor as his secretary.

The suspect was also in charge of the daily accounts of sales that were lodged into the accounts of Agya Koo.

The prosecutor, Inspector Oduro said , in the course of their operations, the complainant travelled outside the country, leaving all transactions in the care of the suspect.

He said the suspect took advantage of the absence of the complainant and opened her own accounts at different banks, where she lodged money accrued from the business into those accounts.

He said it was when the complainant returned from his business trips and realised the anomalies in the business transaction that he reported the case to the police, leading to the arrest of Cecilia Tandor .

Source: Daily Graphic