There are those people who love their job, some who see it as a necessity and they just do it because they have to and then there are the rest of us; the ones who hate their job. For most people, working for a living is a fact of life. For some though, the job is what sucks the life out of us, makes us resent even having to get up and at the end of every work day we bolt out the door and wish there was some way we didn't have to come back to the place that is like a vampire to our very soul.

Does that sound like you? If so, you are not alone. There are millions of people who dislike their job to some extent but there are also a large number who truly hate their job. So what do you do when you hate your job? The answer, while simple in words is quite complex in discussion. You can either Quit or Stay.

To Quit! Now there is a decision! But do you do it right away? Do you march into the boss's office and had him your resignation letter this afternoon? Perhaps not! First, some preparation:

Do you have a new job lined up?

How are your savings?

Can you meet your financial obligations for the next six months?

Do you have a plan for what you are going to be doing after you quit?

If you have prepared for it then perhaps you can quit this afternoon. But what if you can't?

Now the answer is: Stay.

Stay? "But I hate this place! I hate the work and most of all I hate my boss!" So now what?

To stay really involves two possibilities and those are to stay as long as it prepares you to quit or to stay and figure out how to change enough of your job so, while you may not love it, you can at least tolerate it.

Here are a few things to do no matter what your reason to stay is:

Take a B complex vitamin supplement. Sounds crazy right? Well, not as crazy as you might think. A vitamin B-6 deficiency has been linked to anxiety, stress, and depression, and women are more likely to become deficient in B6 as they age. Vitamin B-6 makes you feel calm and happy. It won't solve all your problems at work but it might help to take a little bit of the edge off and a good B-Complex vitamin will also give you an energy boost with the B-12!

Look at improving your skills or knowledge via night school or distance learning. You can either learn a new skill to do a complete career change or take education and training courses to enhance your skills in your present job and perhaps work your way into at least being able to tolerate your job.

Try to conduct a self assessment of what it is about your job that you hate and try to find a way to change that one thing. This may mean an internal transfer inside the company you work for or it could be something as simple as minimizing your interaction with certain individuals. It may mean changing your commute by taking the train instead of a car or perhaps even moving to be closer to work in order to shorten your commute. The bottom line on the self assessment is that you need to look at what may need to be changed so that you can get over your feelings toward your job.

Back to quit! Yes, this is still an option but at this point you have tried to find a happy medium and it hasn't worked. By now you have done a self assessment and you have gotten additional education and training and now you are ready to leave. There are a few steps you need to take first:

1. Market yourself. This means get out and network! Join a professional organization associated with your career field and attend some meetings. If they have a publication, read it and consider writing an article for it or at least join in the discussion by writing a comment to it in the reader's forum or on the on-line comments section.

2. Get social! You need to frequent coffee shops, bistros and after work watering holes to meet people who work where you want to work and see if you can get someone to recommend you or refer you to the hiring manager. This also gets you out to see and meet new people so that you are more comfortable in talking to strangers before the interviews begin.

3. Prepare your resume and cover letters and get them to people you know via those connections. As you get those interviews, make sure you write down as many questions as you can remember afterward and use those questions to practice for the next interview.

4. Help others! Not only will it make you feel good but it can open some very valuable doors! Even if it is something as simple as forwarding a job announcement to an out of work friend for something that wouldn't work for you but could work for them can pay you back with a similar favor or even a referral. If you add in some volunteer work, this can also pay similar dividends.

Lastly, work on a positive mental attitude (PMA). Never say a bad word about your boss or where you work to anyone but your closest friends or lovers. Be positive and polite to those you work with even if they are a complete pain to deal with. Smother them with kindness and watch them squirm! This does not mean that you need to be a butt-kisser, just try to be upbeat and compliment your co-workers a little more often and don't talk bad about anyone at work to the boss or even to another coworker. Before long your positive attitude will keep the negative centered folks away from you and your working conditions will improve.

So how do I know all this stuff will work? Because I have lived that nightmare more than once and every time my techniques and plan has worked. My most recent position required a little new job training and once it was complete I got a 20 percent raise and a transfer out of the dreaded office and into my dream job! You can do it too but it takes work.

Good luck!
sourcenline