FORMER PRESIDENT Jerry John Rawlings has said he does not understand why a journalist was being paid $10,000 as against his (Rawlings’) paltry $350 monthly salary.

Mr. Rawlings says many journalists have compromised the ethics of their profession for selfish monetary considerations, against the tenets of the journalism profession.

Delivering a speech at the International Catholic Union of the Press conference in Burkina Faso, the former president alleged that a Ghanaian journalist was being paid $10,000 to do the dirty work of a corrupt government.

“We can only institute good governance in our societies if some members of the media do not become pawns of government and other selfish business and political groups- a disease that is not unique to only Africa, but across the world.

“Some of the most recognised news media in the world are always so unashamedly biased in favour of one political grouping or the other. How can the ordinary people recognise reality in such circumstances?

“In my country Ghana, whilst a former head of state was kept on his old salary of $350 per month, a compromised journalist was being paid $10,000 a month by an extremely corrupt government to continue corroding the sanctity of truth,” Rawlings said, without naming the journalist as well as the regime.

He said good governance can only succeed if journalists told the truth.

“The French Revolution, the Protestant Revolution, the 31st December Revolution in my country Ghana all came about as a result of the suppression of the truth and the attempt to hide facts which are obvious to the people,” he stated.

The former president also accused the Kufuor administration of deepening poverty in Ghana because of its corrupt nature.

“You come to my country, the last government in power, taking over all the lands belonging to the traditional chiefs and the government and built huge mansions all over the place… the landscape is looking beautiful with all these modern structures but at the same time you can’t believe the extent to which it has impoverished people.”

Daily Guide/Ghana