+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GFA To Disregard Nationality In Pursuit of New Manager

Super Moderator Pope Bitterz D'Alomo's Avatar

Default GFA To Disregard Nationality In Pursuit of New Manager

The Ghana Football Association says nationality will play no part in the decision it will make about the Black Stars next coach.

The statement comes as the GFA begins the search for a replacement for Milovan Rajevac who has left the post.

The 56-year-old Serbian has reportedly signed a lucrative deal with Saudi Arabian club Al Ahli Jeddah.

The Black Stars have less than a month before they play Sudan in an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier in Accra.

Rajevac's departure has triggered calls for the Stars job to be handed to a Ghanaian with U-20 world cup winning coach Sellas Tetteh leading the queue, but GFA Vice-President Fred Pappoe, told BBC Sport the association will not restrict their choice based on nationality.

"If we can get a competent coach from Afghanistan or Russia within the resources we can afford then we will employ him", he said.

"If we can find a coach from within Ghana competent enough to do the job then we will give him the responsibility.

"What we will not do is to set criteria based on nationality or colour because I think that will be debasing the issue," Pappoe continued.

Meanwhile local coach Herbert Addo has thrown his hat into the ring claiming he has what it takes win major international honours for the country.

Addo who took newly promoted Aduana Stars to the Ghana league title last season, is presently in charge of the local Black Stars but is convinced he can make the step up to the regular side.

"If you ask me to take charge of the Black Stars now, of course I will take it," he said.

"I am a coach, I know my job, the players know what to do and I think it will be fantastic because I have a wider range of players to choose from," he continued.

Whoever gets the job will have some big shoes to fill after Rajevac's relatively successful tenure.

The Serbian took Ghana to the finals of the Nations Cup final in January this year for the first time since 1992 before guiding the side to the quarter finals of the 2010 World Cup.
    Last edited by Pope Bitterz D'Alomo; 16th September 2010 at 02:57 PM.
    Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. ~Aesop

Ignorance can be educated,drunkenness sobered,craziness medicated but there is no cure for STUPIDITY

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information