+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Media should watch against insults and patent lies. Prez Mills

Default Media should watch against insults and patent lies. Prez Mills

President John Evans Atta Mills has charged media practitioners to stick to the ethics of their profession and avoid acts that have the potential to stir up trouble in the country.

Speaking at a meeting with members of the National Media Commission (NMC) at the Castle on Tuesday, the President expressed concern about what he said was the lack of care in the use of language and a desire to insult instead of doing constructive criticism.

“My emphasis is not about freedom, it’s on responsibility. I don’t mind when people criticise… criticism is very important but not insults where people abandon the principles and just heap insults on people or publish falsehood when they know it’s patently false. I don’t think we are doing anybody any service.”

He therefore questioned the values being inculcated in children and the youth by churning out such uninformed pieces of information.

Meanwhile, the president has assured the media that he would not do anything that might work against free press in the country.

“We must always be ruled by our conscience, conscience is what should guide us." He urged media practitioners to question themselves on issues they write or speak, whether the issues educate, inform or entertain. "Never compromise the truth. I will never muzzle the media,” he assured.

Chairman of the National Media Commission, Kabral Blay Amihere told Joy News the commission will go every length to ensure standards of the profession are upheld.

A Senior Lecturer at the School of Communications Studies of the University of Ghana, Dr. Audrey Gadzekpo told Joy News that she “totally agrees” with the president on the point that the media should operate with decorum and civility.

“Media can criticise but what language do you use to criticize? ...journalism is about truth-telling. We have to come as close to the truth as possible, so there is no room in good professionalism for fabrication, for half truth and…”

She decried the “general lack of civility” where most respected public officials and politicians come on air to give inflammatory speech, but asked the media to use their own discretion to sometimes “blip them out”.

Play the attached audio for their voices

Story by Isaac Essel/Myjoyonline.com/Ghana
    Last edited by Neo; 15th September 2010 at 04:12 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information