PDA

View Full Version : HealthLine should be measured by its impact - Carmen Bruce-Annan

Neo
16th September 2011, 09:54 PM
Vodafone Ghana's Head of Corporate Communications, Carmen Bruce-Annan says the real impact of the company's flagship TV programme, HealthLine, should make for a fair measure rather than the amount of money being invested into it.

Vodafone HealthLine provides medical assistance to needy patients - providing financing for surgery, medication, trade support and in almost all instances, some stipend. For the general public, it is a huge learning experience.

Mrs Carman who was speaking in an interview with Myjoyonline.com after an exclusive preview of the final episode of the health series at the Silverbird Cinema Thursday, was of the view that the programme has over the past weeks indisputably made a phenomenal impact in the way Ghanaians view matters concerning their health.

http://photos.myjoyonline.com/photos/news/201108/380301054_722434.JPG
Carmen Bruce-Annan, Head of Corporate Communications at Vodafone Ghana

According to her, the amount of money invested into the programme does not seem enough but rather, we should, “measure the impact of the HealthLine through the number of people that we’ve educated around health issues, if there is one, we’ve achieved an objective, the number of people we’ve actually helped to live better lives.”

The programme, she said, brings hope, adding “We all have a responsibility to give back in ways that are really meaningful.”

The health talk show, HealthLine, has medical practitioners as resource persons who discuss pertinent health care topics that they collect from the viewing public. They delve into general health care issues including female health - fibroid, cervical cancer, maternal mortality - hypertension, mental health, impotence, prostate cancer, vaccinations and popular misconceptions/taboos about health in general.

To her and her outfit, Vodafone Ghana, the journey has been a moving and humbling one: “It’s been very moving, it’s been very numbing, at times it’s been very humbling. I think watching some of the patients that we’ve helped particularly the surgeries for me personally the boldness and the courage they’ve shown thought me a personal lesson which is basically how much I have and how thankful I should be.”

Carmen revealed that feedback from the general public on the programme is also humbling, adding the programme has brought to light also, “how brilliant our doctors are in Ghana. When you watch HealthLine and you see all of these surgeries being carried out people say wow, this stuff is happening in Ghana...

“I think that we need to also stop bashing our health care providers and be really grateful for the excellent doctors we have here in Ghana.”

http://photos.myjoyonline.com/photos/news/201109/962105734_868839.jpg

Asked how beneficiaries are selected, Carmen said Vodafone does not play the role of ‘God’ in the selection process.

According to her, the programme works with qualified health professionals, doctors and regional hospitals across the country who select individuals for treatment which is the core aim of the programme - to reach everybody across the length and breadth of the country.

The final 13th episode of the series which airs this weekend on a number of TV channels has doctors speaking about the skin and conditions that affect the largest organ of the body. It also tells the story of Bawu and Christiana Amankai, two children whose care-free life is being threatened by crippling health conditions.

Thursday night's viewing was also attended by Dr. Papa Nii Maale-Adsei, Dr. Araba Laing, Dr. Senyo M.K. Misroame and Dr. Byrite Asamoah all medical practitioners and consultants on the show.

Christina Amakai from Kori, a village at Sandema in the Northern region, who had successfully undergone a surgery to correct a tumour, was also at the viewing. She was full of joy and praise for Vodafone for the surgery and a chance to smile again.

The programme takes a break after the 13th episode and will return early next year. Radio versions of the programme will however run on a couple of radio stations in Accra.