PDA

View Full Version : A Doctors "Secret" Health Notes

surgeon
26th August 2011, 10:48 PM
Hi. I'll begin to let you all on unto my personal diary that records secret events while on the job as a medical doctor in the private hospital setting somewhere not too far from here...

I simply aim to provoke a vigorous health discussion here, by so doing - and so I hope you will find my personal notes provoking.

A disclaimer: I have anonymised the rhetoric and changed some of the real facts a bit, for reasons bordering on patients' confidentiality concern.

Pope Bitterz D'Alomo
26th August 2011, 11:02 PM
We are all ears.

surgeon
26th August 2011, 11:07 PM
Menstrual Abnormalities. . . Enlarged Scrotum. . . Fractured Collar Bone. . . ?Fatal Neck Tumour.

This 4 year-old boy was brought in as an emergency having been pelted inside a moving vehicle driven by the mum. He was quite shaken-up but rather stable.
His mum was a little apprehensive but mostly quiet.

The boy however, had bruising with tenderness around the left shoulder that was confirmed through X-rays to be a Fracture of the left collar bone.

Well, I applied a figure-of-eight bandage around those little shoulders.

It's noteworthy here that this accident could have been prevented by the usage of a child-restraining device.

Bad mum, I must say.

He may well survive afterall, this gentleman whose right-sided neck tumour we removed surgically 10 days back and who had his stitches out today.

Was it a Tuberculous growth or a Cancer? The histology report of tissue samples taken and sent, will determine its exact nature. The report is expected anytime soon.

I discharged the patient with the left scrotal swelling today. There was a hitherto unseen springiness to his gait.

I steadily plunged the needle into this man's enlarged, tender left scrotum. I had expected to see altered blood fill-up the 20cc syringe.

It was dry.

The original diagnosis of Epididimorchitis must have been the correct one. His case file told me he had been admitted the previous day; his diagnosis wavering from Acute Epididimorchitis, to Scrotal Haematoma, and then back.

Promptly, the medical management of his ailment was changed accordingly.

This young, female patient seemed to know very little concerning her menstrual period. I find this typical amongst women I see during my out-patient consultations. Details such as cycle duration and timeliness, show them at a loss. And God forbid they happen to get two seperate flows in a single month, to them it signifies an abnormality that requires promt attention! They make the matter fuzzier than it ought to had it been they understood their cycles better.

I sent her off to run the inevitable pelvic scan.

I began dozing off at some point between seeing patients today, no thanks to what I have often tagged as "overnight-browsing hang-over".Good enough, Dr Larry was doing a terrific job clearing the out-patients.