PDA

View Full Version : Of beauty pageants and sex scandals....

Midnight
23rd August 2011, 09:17 PM
...you know the voting is 70% and the judges part is 30%, even if they ask you a question and you cannot answer, with the voting you can still stay in the house and the voting is supposed to be about 1000 to 1500 Ghana cedis and even that I can work out a connection for you...

...somebody go fit brush you den give you like 100 or 200 Ghana cedis, somebody can brush and give you 50 Ghana cedis, somebody is brushing and giving you this opportunity and exposure and you’re standing there asking me question...”

•Brushing-is a slang that means ‘to have sex’.

http://kitnes.net/1_188398/300..1.529353.jpg

Those were the words of a certain confident trickster by name Godfred Amankwah who boldly wove his way into the hands of the police in an attempt to have a ‘by-force’ sex with an unsuspecting potential Miss Malaika contestant.

Fortunately or unfortunately, Godfred Amankwah, who said he worked with Charter House (an event organisation firm) seem to have run out of luck on one of such escapades and was picked up before he could pick up his victim.

These ‘predators’ are perceived to be spread out not only in the beauty pageant industry but in corporate Ghana and several other institutions (private and public) where women are almost always taken undue advantage of.

The topic is certainly too broad to be dissected today so let’s narrow it down to this very recent scenario of Godfred Amankwah which has drawn condemnation from all over the country. Many say it has cast a slur on the different beauty pageants held in the country and does not seem to have an end in sight.

The pageant industry has over the years been rocked with several controversies from non payment of cash prizes to the winners, cheating and unlawful disqualifications right through to rumours of sexual scandals and favors but never has the latter raised red flags as it has in these past few weeks. Call it the ‘The G. Amankwa Scandal’.

Mind you he is currently just a suspect until proven guilty.

Several former contestants of some of these competition have told the Globe entertainment that they share in the experience of the ‘whistle blower’ who was able to bring this age old perception to the fore by secretly recording the conversation she had with suspect G. Amankwa.

Some of the ladies say they have had lots of such experiences but they have never been able to muster the courage to go public neither did they have evidence against these predators, thus they eventually give in to these sexual demands while others say they back out of the competition to save their dignity or should or rather, their sanity.

Some actually say that even after giving in to the demands, they were disqualified and annoying enough, the pestering continued from some of these sex-hungry men.

Two former Miss Ghana winners Bridgitte Dzorgbenuku 1991 and Benita Golomeke 1997 have joined in the condemnation of the whole scandal, describing it as a disgrace to the entire competition.

According to Bridgitte who won the competition some 20 years ago, “the perception exists but whether it actually happens i do not know...

I contested for Miss Ghana 20 years ago and things have changed but I would want to say that for Miss Ghana during our time it did not exist.

Things have changed, people have changed and so long as these women want something, it is likely that people would prey on that and it takes a certain type of personality and a strong spirit to say no depending on how much you want the title.

It is very offensive and it is not only with beauty pageants, it is a perception in Ghana that anywhere a woman with good looks rises to the top, she must have slept with someone and i think it is up to whoever wins to disprove that...

“People should disabuse their minds and if any such demands are made on you, come out and talk about it. I do not think that winning the title is as important as losing your dignity”, the 1991 Miss Ghana winner lamented.

Bridgette Djogbenuku, however proffered a solution to the perception, said “it should be reported just like this one (the G. Amankwah scandal), it is legally wrong and it should be reported to the organizers or anybody who has the voice to speak for you ...

“The organizer should also be very aware that people would want to take advantage of these situations and do things like this”.

Miss Ghana 1997 Benita Golomeke espoused similar views saying that “I do not know why women would want to go down that line just to become public figures. That is below the belt”.

She also said although the perception was rife during their time, she was never approached by anybody from the organizers or sponsors for sexual favors.

She was however quick to add that the women or ladies involved in such situations are also to blame because there are those who would want to use any and every means possible to become famous.

So if these former Miss Ghana contestants all say they were not embroiled in any such scandal during their time and I believe a few winners after them would attest to this fact then what has changed?

If the likes of Matilda Alomatu 1994, Manuela Medie, 1995, Sheila Azuntaba,1996, Mariam Sugru Bugri, 1999, some of the most popular Miss Ghana’s over the years say they were not involved in any such indignity but managed to win the nation’s most coveted beauty pageant then how come this latter day beauty competitions are drawing negative media publicity?

Is it a generational gap or the modern ladies have something that their older colleagues did not have?

Anyway for now one can only say that times have changed and so has technology.

My only advice to the many ‘G. Amankwah’s’ out there is that the ladies have become a little more sophisticated so please watch who you call because one day one day.....

BY: Martin Asiedu-Dartey/Citifmonline.com/Ghana