PDA

View Full Version : Inspector General Takes Over Search for Father of Mikel Obi

Pope Bitterz D'Alomo
18th August 2011, 06:03 PM
THE highest echelon of the Nigeria Police has taken over the search for Mr. Michael Obi, father of the Super Eagles and Chelsea midfielder, John Mikel Obi, suspected to have been kidnapped last weekend in Jos, the Plateau State capital.Obi, who runs an inter-state transport company, has not been seen or heard from since he failed to return home from work last Friday. Calls to his mobile telephone went unanswered, before the device was unreachable from Saturday; however, while no ransom demands have been made, his company has confirmed that he has been abducted.

Speaking in a telephone interview with The Moment on Tuesday, head, Security Committee, Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Gideon Akinshola, an Assistant Commissioner of Police, said the office of the Inspector General of Police was supervising the search for father of the Nigerian international.

'(Unraveling) the whereabouts of Mikel's father is a very (important) task for us; as a matter of fact, it's a national issue. That is why the leadership of the police force is directly supervising the search.

'I cannot say more than that because my bosses are in charge. But I assure Nigerians we are doing everything possible to find the man.'Akinshola told The Moment. Security agencies have been combing Jos for Obi. Desmond Agwu, regional head of the State Security Service (SSS), said a thorough sweep of the state was initiated as soon as information about the abduction was received.

'I met with my division heads immediately we got information and I can tell you that we have started sweeping the whole state.

'We have sent Muslim operatives to the Muslim areas, and Christian operatives to the Christian areas. We believe that, by the grace of God, he will be found.'

Plateau State Police Commissioner, Emmanuel Dipo Ayeni, who also confirmed that the police were in the search for Obi, said the man was missing and not abducted."Nobody has reported any case of abduction to the police. The report we have received is that someone is missing', Ayeni declared, adding: 'We are still searching to find his location.The police command is gathering relevant information that will give a positive clue about the whereabouts of the old man,' Ayeni said.

Mikel had on Monday made a televised plea on British pay television, SkySports, for his father's abductors to get in touch with him.

'All I can say is that I'm from Nigeria and I have always tried to help the country in whatever way I can by playing for the country, serving the country in whatever way that I can. This is the time for my country to help me.

'So I just got to say that whoever has got my dad, whoever knows where my dad is, should please contact me and, hopefully, he'll be released,' an emotional Mikel said.