View Full Version : Suspected Armed Robber Files Application Of Contempt Against IGP And Attorney-General

The Informer
28th July 2011, 07:16 AM
A suspected robber, who has been on remand for two years without trial, has filed an application for contempt against the Attorney-General (AG), Martin Amidu and Inspector General of Police (IGP), Paul Tawiah Quaye at an Accra Fast Track High Court, (Human Rights Division) for refusing to release him in spite of an order by the court to do so.

The applicant, Richard Kafui Quist filed the motion before a court, presided over by Justice Utter Peter Dery after the police refused to release him and reportedly told him that he would be-arrested even if he was set free.

Neither the A-G nor the IGP was in court to tell the judge why they should not be put in the dock for contempt but a principal state attorney, Rexford Wiredu represented them.

At the court, counsel for the applicant, Eric Delanyo Alifo, who moved the motion for contempt, told the court that his client was arrested at Kasoa on February 15, 2009 in connection with a robbery case at Kasoa Ecobank.

According to him, the applicant denied the offence but the police kept him in custody with the explanation that he would be needed to assist in investigations.


He noted that later some persons were arrested in connection with the Ecobank robbery but Quist was not charged, explaining that throughout the trial his name was not mentioned by the other suspects as having a hand in the robbery.

In addition, counsel for the applicant noted that they filed a habeas corpus application on grounds that his continuous detention was unlawful and this was granted on July 15 2011 by Justice Dery, who said the suspect “should be discharged unconditionally.”

He said the police refused to discharge Quist and said even if he was discharged he would be re-arrested, adding that the respondents have shown disrespect to the court.

Furthermore he said that the excuse that he was discharged and re-arrested was “just a ploy.”

He noted that the police flagrantly disobeyed the court’s order and continued to adopt tricks, stressing that unless the court intervenes the respondents would continue ignore the directive.

Mr. Wiredu said he received the motion paper on Friday and would need a short adjournment of the case to enable him respond to it.

The case was subsequently adjourned to July 27 2011.

By Fidelia Achama

Source: Fidelia Achama

28th July 2011, 12:56 PM
SMH.......does this make any sense......anyone? Why still keep someone in jail when the courts has set him free?