PDA

View Full Version : Friends save baseball fan from 20-foot drop

syc
12th July 2011, 02:57 PM
Keith Carmickle was watching the 'Home Run Derby' at the MLB All-Star event in Phoenix, Arizona when he climbed on a small drinks table to try and get a better chance of catching a ball.

After failing to grab a ball that came in his direction, Carmickle lost his balance - and his momentum carried him over the small railing head first.

It looked as if Carmickle would fall 20 feet to a hard surface but his brother, a friend and a handful of fans managed to grab hold of him at the key moment and pull him back over the railings to safety.

Afterwards Carmickle admitted he thought he was about to lose his life.

He said: "I stepped up on the table, I missed the ball by two or three feet and went over. I thought, 'I've lived a good life'."

His friend Aaron Nelos added: "He tried to catch it, I grabbed his legs and his brother grabbed his arms. So when he went over the ledge, we pulled him back. He wasn't going down, I was holding on."

The incident was dramatically captured by a group of photographers who were positioned near that area.

Last Thursday, fan Shannon Stone fell to his death at Texas Rangers Ballpark after catching a ball tossed to him by Texas outfielder Josh Hamilton during the second inning.

Reaching for the ball, he toppled over a railing. Television pictures showed him falling some 20 feet from the outfield seats to a paved area behind a scoreboard.

That incident happened almost a year to the day after a similar accident at Rangers Ballpark when fan Tyler Morris fell from the second level to the lower bowl while trying to catch a foul ball on July 6, 2010. He suffered a fractured skull and broken ankle.

http://d.yimg.com/i//ng/sp/eurosport/20110712/25/de6bf81639fe0299ecc9f2e678c0331b.jpg