PDA

View Full Version : 'Super-STD' fear over bug discovery

syc
11th July 2011, 06:07 PM
Fears of a "super-STD" spreading around the world have been raised by the discovery of a new drug-resistant strain of gonorrhoea.

The bug, known as H041, is impervious to all currently available antibiotics.

Gonorrhoea is one of the most common causes of sexually-transmitted disease in the world, accounting for an estimated 700,000 new infections each year.

Experts fear the new strain could turn an easily treatable infection into a global threat to public health.

Dr Magnus Unemo, from Orebro University Hospital in Sweden, whose team made the find, said: "This is both an alarming and a predictable discovery. Since antibiotics became the standard treatment for gonorrhoea in the 1940s, this bacterium has shown a remarkable capacity to develop resistance mechanisms to all drugs introduced to control it.

"While it is still too early to assess if this new strain has become widespread, the history of newly-emergent resistance in the bacterium suggests that it may spread rapidly unless new drugs and effective treatment programmes are developed."

Dr Unemo will present the research today at the annual meeting of the International Society for Sexually Transmitted Disease Research in Quebec City, Canada.

Gonorrhoea, Neisseria gonorrhoeae, produces no symptoms in about 50% of infected women and 2-5% of men. Symptoms include a burning sensation when urinating and pus discharge from the genitals.

If left untreated, the infection can lead to serious and irreversible health complications, including infertility. In 3-4% of cases, untreated infections spread to the skin, blood, joints or organs and can prove fatal.

Babies born of infected mothers can suffer serious blood and joint infections or blindness.

Makinza
7th February 2013, 07:45 AM
I would like to say about it . Its very common in these days and every third person are infected with it and its shoes their results with the passage of time . What you think about it share your thinking about it because i need to get your thoughts about Std,s .

Dotyaw
8th February 2013, 02:53 AM
I would like to say about it . Its very common in these days and every third person are infected with it and its shoes their results with the passage of time . What you think about it share your thinking about it because i need to get your thoughts about Std,s .

Solution: JUST KEEP UR SNAKE IN YOUR PANTS!!!