View Full Version : Woman Commits Suicide In Kitchen

6th May 2011, 09:45 PM
RESIDENTS OF Ho, New Housing were last Tuesday shocked by the brutal death of 51-year-old Cynthia Poma.

Cynthia Poma was found dead in a pool of blood with her neck slashed and lying on her kitchen floor at about midday.

The death of woman, which many believe to be a suicide, has also been given a spiritual twist by some residents and people close to the deceased family who claim she could not have committed suicide as alleged except by some external or spiritual force.

When DAILY GUIDE visited the Municipal Police Office, the Commander, Superintendent Samuel Owusu-Berko, confirmed the incident and said it happened in a one storey building in the New Housing neighbourhood.

He explained that at about 12:30pm that fateful afternoon, the husband of the deceased, one Daniel Gasinu, came to the police station to report about the mysterious death of his wife.

According to Supt. Owusu-Berko, Daniel told the police he was with the wife in the sitting room that late morning before he told her he was going upstairs to prepare for a trip to Accra.

While in his room, one of his sons, Kofi Gasinu, who had gone to the bank earlier with his younger brother, returned and knocked on the door leading to the sitting room but there was no response.

They started shouting the name of their mother who was supposed to be in the sitting room but they got no response.

Mr. Gasinu said on hearing his sons descending the stairs, he went to open the front door for them.

The three of them realized the woman was nowhere to be found.

They however realized the door of the kitchen was open and entered, only to find Madam Poma lying there so they rushed to check what had happened to her.

To their shock, they found her lying dead on her side in a pool of blood, with some splashed all over the kitchen walls and utensils.

Supt. Owusu-Berko said instant examinations revealed that the neck of the deceased was slashed with a kitchen knife found at the scene.

He said so far, investigations had indicated no sign of foul play, struggle or foot prints and any other thing which could suggest that the woman was murdered.

He added that the woman was believed to have a ten-year history of depression, stating that investigations were still ongoing to fully establish if it was a suicide or otherwise.

The body of the deceased has since been deposited at the Ho Municipal Hospital morgue for autopsy.

Supt. Owusu Berko described the death as unfortunate and advised the general public to be very vigilant on depressed friends and relatives to avert a similar situation.

Source: Daily Guide