PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Egyptian love poetry

Lady √ Macbeth
20th April 2011, 11:06 PM
This is one stanza of a 7 stanza poem written on a piece of papyrus dating back to New Kingdom Ancient Egypt. The Poem tells of a couple very much in love but separated. I particularly like this stanza where the woman talks about her difficulties in going about everyday life when separated from her lover. I think there is very little difference between what this woman says and what a modern day woman in the same situation would feel.

My heart bares itself instantly,
at the memory of your love.
It does not let me walk like a person,
it has strayed from its shelter.
It does not let me put on a dress,
I cannot even wrap my scarf,
No kohl can be put no my eye,
I am not anointed with oil.
'Don't stand there - go in to him'
it tells me at each memory of him.
Don't, my heart, be stupid at me:
why are you acting the fool?
Sit, be cool, the sister has come to you'
but my eye is just as troubled.
Don't make people say of me
'she is a woman fallen by love'
Be firm each time you remember him,
My heart, do not stray.

Revel
7th May 2011, 10:13 AM
I have just completed the book which i was reading for few days,The book is "Indus Saga" by Ch Aitzaz Ahsan.After this book he was declared by world's intellectual,the world's 5th wise and intellectual.You have got my meaning why did he declare world's 5th wise man.The book demands and forces us to read.

Lady √ Macbeth
12th June 2011, 04:04 AM
I have just completed the book which i was reading for few days,The book is "Indus Saga" by Ch Aitzaz Ahsan.After this book he was declared by world's intellectual,the world's 5th wise and intellectual.You have got my meaning why did he declare world's 5th wise man.The book demands and forces us to read.

The book is extremely informative and adventurous to read. I am glad you were able to complete the book. Cheers! :)