PDA

View Full Version : HELP: writers block, any ideas on the direction this story should go?

Fashion Yaa
10th April 2011, 08:46 PM
I wanted to submit a short story for publication but it seems I went wrong somewhere in my research of life in Libya and various conspiracy theories I have come to learn about a former President of Ghana sending his illigitamate son to Ghadafi to be raised as a Ghadafi...Tell me what facts I have wrong in this short story, please if you have suggestions on how this should end, I'd like that...thanks :confused::rolleyes: I have protected my president since age eighteen and currently I am age thirty-six. My body guarding skills include Third Degree Black Belt Martial Arts, Ga Mantse Warrior Prefect, Phillopino Knife Expertise and Israeli-Arab Krav Maga. The training I am most proud of was when a former Russian KGB operative helped improve my Sniper as well as Close Range shot. Today, after years to a vow of silence which may soon come to an end considering my president may no longer have use for me. It is imperitive to record for posterity, completing a mission(even a simple memoir) that could mean death is not a thing that puts fear in me. My truth deserves listening to for the sake of my 18 year old son, Vahid Salahadine. His life much like my own is shrouded in secrecy, he might never learn the truth about his background if not for this verbal account I provide. I reserve the right to give full editorial control to International Reporter Ofebia Qwuistarchtund, a journalist of Ghanaian descent who I trust to record my truth.

I am the daughter of my president's childhood best friend, whose people I have never truely known. What I do know is that my president met my father while studying at the Kashba and due to unforseen circumstances, my father-who produced me while he was in power-gave me up to the desert. According to my president during a coup that saw the bombing death of my father's sons who were hiding in a vacant building, my father opted to have my mother and I go to Libya. We had to trek by land through the desert because any other path would have been risky. The journey, long and trechourous, built my confidence because the rest of the journey, I carried my mum's dead body on horseback. There to meet me at the Libyan-Chad border was my president-at the time he was just a member of the Libyan Armed Forces. The delegation that came with him were extremely shocked that such a small black African girl could survive the desert using horseback-I will explain more about this later. Little did they know that my father had invested in his children being trained by the Ga Mantse Warrior Secret Society which normally never trains women. An exception was made for me on metaphysical grounds. I remember my teacher recalling the tale of my birth as though it were a simple tale. My hands bore the Alchemy of Komfo Anokye the moment I popped out of my mother's womb. The mid-wife birthing me, ran out the compound screaming that she is now blind because my hands shined a bright light into her eyes. I may not remember my real father, mother or siblings except through pictures my president has provided but my skills are my best and only memories. I suppose this is why I am so loyal to my president, who saw to it that my father's wishes would continue. The moment my mum was burried, I became a daughter of Libya. From Rakiyatu Oye to a process of becoming Millie Bin Vahid El Salahadine, Comrade Millie to be exact.

The wishes of my father were that I continue my warrior training, marry and birth a son who would return to his maternal grandfather's homeland to free his people. History has an amazing way of twisting fate, my father's people transitioned into a democratically elected government that is stable and financially viable. Nonetheles, I did fulfill his wishes to send my son to his homeland because I was third wife to the father of my child, who died of old age during my fifth month of pregnancy. Vahid works as a translator for tourists at a five star hotel in Kumasi. The said five star hotel has been my son's home for his entire life(it has been his school, recreational facility and place of worship). Vahid Salahadine does not know his parent's are alive or dead neither is he aware of the fact that he has been in the same building with his mother. Due to trips my president takes (using the same route my mother and I used in reaching Libya); I have had the pleasure of seeing him two times, he is the very image of his grandfather.

In the desert one tends to loose basic human instincts, it is a four month journey of which a quarter of the time your animalistic tendancies are dominant. The entourage headed north was about thirty people strong. When you see a mirage of picturesque beauty resembling vegetation, this is when the travelor should be on guard for it is at these times that creatures of the desert come out to prey. Anytime we reached an oasis, a wild animal was surely laying in wait to snatch one of us away. The Alchemy of Komfo Anokye became useful in protecting all thirty of us but sadly, the loneliness of not having father with us weakened mother to death. When a wild cat would approach us, I immediatly turn their paws to heavily cemented stone. With the large wild cats, the light from my palms would blind them into confusion. My father chose an entourage made up of non-family members so as to disguise us as just another nomadic people of the Sahel selling spices from nation to nation. Each border (starting with Burkina Faso) we reached let us pass without trouble. I was enrolled in a academy for gifted and talented women, it also served as a Madrasa of sorts but the main focus was on traditional Libyan mysticism. Powerful men would regularly recruit from this Madrasa because of our bodyguarding capabilities. No other woman would be allowed to do such work except us, I suppose that is the perplexing part about life in the Mahgreb(desert peoples of North Africa). Few of us would be lucky to pursue both a professional life and married life but such cases were few, I was one of such women. The man I married was chosen by my president, Salahadine my husband was a Libyan businessman of Iranian decent who made it clear to me that what we have is a marraige of convenience. We had only 2years together, and no I had nothing to do with his death(my Alchemy is only used for good). I remained in my late husband's household until Vahid could walk, during that time I began bodyguarding duties with my president. Giving up Vahid was hard, once again, the 30 strong entourage that chaperoned my arrival in Libya were assembled to return to my father's nation with my son but this time they went by plane. I could have easily returned but knowing my son was in good hands was all I needed.

The many international missions we have been on are all different, especially when our mission took us to conservative nations who rarely have women in leadership roles. My president somehow preferred to travel by road when in Africa. I coordinated my old mates from the Madrasa to be part of the marching guard for the journey. We were very popular with children especially in the village areas. Every 12 hours we would break and rest by setting up a tent designed in the comforts of a home.

Pope Bitterz D'Alomo
12th April 2011, 04:09 AM
Ga Mantse Warrior Prefect Fashionista which kind of fighting technique is this ? Never heard of this one.

Fashion Yaa
12th April 2011, 05:42 AM
i first heard about it on TV Africa then Metro TV back in 2007 or 2008, and honestly I had not heard about it till that special I saw, in fact I have looked for written articles on it but to no avail. I think its one of those seen and not heard things or perhaps its so secretive that only the Ga community know about it...it exists though, for sure, its a fighting style that uses mostly the thighs(ever seen LOVE BREWS IN AFRICAN POT well the wrestling sequence in that move is very similar)
Fashionista which kind of fighting technique is this ? Never heard of this one.

eli fiati
16th April 2011, 11:49 AM
this is quiet a remarkable story starting in medias res. i think the main character has had a lot of experiences and the writer should focus on trying to fulfill the wish of his late father (considering her son is already in ghana) and find a different course for her life since she has so many things to offer humankind especially the female gender. In any case if she ever had regrets to help other women who find themselves in similar circumstances

Fashion Yaa
18th April 2011, 03:48 AM
Thanks Eli, this is a direction i will take seriously because why else would a former guard choose to write a tell all! I mean its possible for good ending for her....initially I felt she would be a total "jarhead" with irreversal warrior traits but the softness she still has perhaps is because of the son...yeah okay, I can definatly carve out a tale....thanks for the tip
this is quiet a remarkable story starting in medias res. i think the main character has had a lot of experiences and the writer should focus on trying to fulfill the wish of his late father (considering her son is already in ghana) and find a different course for her life since she has so many things to offer humankind especially the female gender. In any case if she ever had regrets to help other women who find themselves in similar circumstances