PDA

View Full Version : Apartheid Did Not Die

neoxiang
30th March 2011, 11:01 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6343784518626528037&hl=en#

Apartheid based on race is outlawed now, but the system always went far deeper than that. The cruelty and injustice were underwritten by an economic apartheid, which regarded people as no more than cheap expendable labor. It was backed by great business corporations in South Africa, Britain, the rest of Europe, and the United States. And it was this apartheid based on money and profit to allow a small minority to control most of the land, most of the industrial wealth, and most of the economic power. Today, the same system is called – without a trace of irony – the free market.

John Pilger was banned from South Africa for his reporting during the apartheid era. On his return thirty years later with Alan Lowery, he describes the extraordinary generosity of a liberated people, but asks who are the true beneficiaries of a democracy – the black majority or the white minority? Won the Gold Award in the category of ‘Film & Video Production: Political/International Issues’, Worldfest-Flagstaff, 1998; Certificate for Creative Excellence (third place), U.S. International Film & Video Festival, Elmhurst, Illinois, 1999.

® Lady √ Macbeth ©
8th April 2011, 12:24 AM
Quite informative.

® Lady √ Macbeth ©
5th May 2011, 03:05 AM
Apartheid based on race is outlawed now, but the system always went far deeper than that. The cruelty and injustice were underwritten by an economic apartheid, which regarded people as no more than cheap expendable labor.

That is so very true! It still lives on although it is illegal. This social system still lives on today where persons are held in categorical respect and decorum. However, there are books that were written by victims who spoke of some of the unspoken things which shed a better understanding of what really transpired during the legal reign of the Apartheid social system. In most Black colleges and libraries some of these books and historical articles can be found and retrieved. I enjoy reading the biographies, and bibliographies of our ancestors (and their parents) who experienced these thingamajigs.

I did not watch the video, but I will the next time I return to this thread.

√ LM

Q' lypse
5th May 2011, 10:02 PM
I finally watched this documentary. Hmm, *sighing*.

Ok, this film was made in 1997 right? The label garden boy is not in use any longer. They are now called gardeners.

I was young and was new in the country when the "truth and reconciliation" was being broadcast on tv. Gruesome stories. Damn! At that time, my young teenage mind couldn't grasp the enormity of what whites did in the country. All I could do was sympathize with the victims and the victims' families. On the 11th minute mark, the woman who talked about her son and his murderer, that cop leader was really really bad. Braai is the Afrikaans term for barbecue. So after they killed him, they burned his body and had beers like nothing was going on. In SA on weekends, people haave braais and this describes exactly what her son's killers did. Whilst his body was burning, they were drinking and chatting. Goddamn man! And people like this call themselves civilized. Hm. SMFH!

About mining. I would say mining is safe than it was then, but hell mining workers don't live very long. Anglo American is rich beyond I don't know. I'm glad this employee from Anglo American was put on display, showing his I don't care stance. I know modafuckas like him! Cold hearted fu.cks! I once worked at an engineering company where human dignity was next to known. I was a student and doing my training there so I wasn't involved in any of the heavy stuff the normal workers were doing. Health and safety was almost non existent. While these workers broke their backs building giant generators, working over time, poor wages, working in terrible conditions like freaking breathing in some crap like materials that were used as sound proof for the generators, these fu.ckas were getting rich. The company was owned by some Portuguese family. Till today I still hold hidden beef for Portuguese people even though one of my closest friends is Porra. It doesn't pay to hate though, I know better. What was funny is, they were nice to me, the bosses. I think it was due to not being a 'peasant', coming from a more educated background, but I hated how they treated the workers. Anyway let me move on..

Some townships don't have water and electricity, even today. Ehi rich South Africa! How?! Sometimes I shake my head in disbelief when water is over flowing from gardens on the roads being watered. It is a shocking reality.

Bringing Cape Town in this documentary killed everything off. That city? I don't wanna discuss it! Wealth! Lord! Hm!

I feel sorry for Mandela though. They came into power hoping to make blacks reach a certain point and flourish, but in doing that, whites were forgiven. Whites still control much of the wealth in the country. Like a young friend of mine said, we are in power but we are not in control. I don’t know how else they were supposed to rule, CAPITALISM had the last say... Mandela has been heavily criticized because of this..

But to me, this man stands for FORGIVENESS.

Quophi Aletse
17th May 2011, 01:46 AM
i also saw the truth and reconciliation thing of south africa and i recommend desmond tutu and those who put that together ....

but say Q ...... how is the atmosphere in south africa now?, is there a chipping away of the racism, racial abuse and atrocities done in the name of race which is embedded deep in both the psyche of the blacks and white south africans ???

Q' lypse
17th May 2011, 08:43 AM
i also saw the truth and reconciliation thing of south africa and i recommend desmond tutu and those who put that together ....

but say Q ...... how is the atmosphere in south africa now?, is there a chipping away of the racism, racial abuse and atrocities done in the name of race which is embedded deep in both the psyche of the blacks and white south africans ???

Racism in SA is becoming more of the British type racism, that is, cooperate companies, undercover racism. Whites still control the country because they have the big money. Slowly the races are becoming closer and closer. But there are subtle things going on I could write pages about.