PDA

View Full Version : Powder Necklace by Nana Akua Brew-Hammond

Fashion Yaa
28th March 2011, 06:28 AM
Through shear accident while searching for the Miss Ghana Porcelin Doll created to look like Stephanie KariKari, I found this treasure....I just ordered it and will let you know how it is...it already sounds like a winner =)
http://www.womenpr.com/site/images/stories/powder%20necklace.jpg
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsktIHpc_h6d6Y1vXeA1Zxl6GE_xCpI yU2Jqhttk4a4jWCDcTv

Fashion Yaa
28th March 2011, 06:30 AM
Its a book about a girl that gets moved between(divorced) parents between three seperate countries(Ghana, UK, USA) based on when they acquire a new wife/husband.

Quophi Aletse
29th March 2011, 12:14 AM
yaa fahionista(thanks pope lol),

supply some of the main elements of this book when u finish it or as u go along on here .....

and seeing how u love reading ... we can start a book club(which i think 1 was started here but went to the dogs lol) and discuss the content of the book.....

Fashion Yaa
29th March 2011, 04:42 AM
Okay Quophi Aleste, I will do that....the book should arrive in about 5days time and I'll be posting nuggests from it =) great idea on the book club...by all means lets resusitate it!!!

Neo
30th March 2011, 12:12 AM
yaa fahionista(thanks pope lol),

supply some of the main elements of this book when u finish it or as u go along on here .....

and seeing how u love reading ... we can start a book club(which i think 1 was started here but went to the dogs lol) and discuss the content of the book.....

I totally agree with you Quophi. A book club will be awesome!

Pope Bitterz D'Alomo
30th March 2011, 01:48 PM
I totally agree with you Quophi. A book club will be awesome!

I'm all in. Let's get it done !

® Lady √ Macbeth ©
30th March 2011, 08:04 PM
Through shear accident while searching for the Miss Ghana Porcelin Doll created to look like Stephanie KariKari, I found this treasure....I just ordered it and will let you know how it is...it already sounds like a winner =)
http://www.womenpr.com/site/images/stories/powder%20necklace.jpg
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsktIHpc_h6d6Y1vXeA1Zxl6GE_xCpI yU2Jqhttk4a4jWCDcTv

How about sharing the order link, please?

Gracias!

Fashion Yaa
31st March 2011, 12:23 AM
The book has been out since 2010 and was published by Simon & Schuster(very very big publishing house). You can order it from Barnes and Noble, Amazon, AbeBooks or even ReadWide in GH.....believe me, this book has wide distribution.

Quophi Aletse
31st March 2011, 01:56 AM
fashion yaa .... have u read any of Gabriel García Márquez' novels? .....
what are some of the novels u have read that u rate very high .....

Fashion Yaa
1st April 2011, 07:38 PM
Okay the book just arrived....I am stocked because she dedicated the book to
For anyone who's ever felt she couldn't hold her head up high-but mostly for my family who raised me to hold up mine...no matter what. enough said, the first chapter and the prologue shows the main character's(Lila) emotional struggle with her father finding another wife and expecting her to consider her the new mum. Then the inescapable desire to please her mum by doing everything she can to make her happy such as having bad mind towards her father, certain family members and not questioning why the two parents aren't together in the first place.

Please, if you have purchased the book or intend to, post some of your comments here and lets get this Book Club On and Poppin'!!!

I find Nana Efua Brew-Hammond's writing style to be very British, for instance vernacular like "Mum" is used and there's hardly any apostrophied words. In reading the prologue and first chapter you'd never guess that these are thoughts of a little girl which I like because it showed that Lila had to grow up fast since the shattering of her family structure.

Fashion Yaa
1st April 2011, 07:47 PM
I hope you saw the other post I started for you Quophi Aletse :} I do have a memory of Advanced Placement students at my high school make a lot of noise about One Hundred Years of Solitude....please start a thread on this great man's work...I plan to read any books you recommend by him though, so thanks
fashion yaa .... have u read any of Gabriel García Márquez' novels? .....
what are some of the novels u have read that u rate very high .....

Quophi Aletse
2nd April 2011, 10:03 PM
I hope you saw the other post I started for you Quophi Aletse :} I do have a memory of Advanced Placement students at my high school make a lot of noise about One Hundred Years of Solitude....please start a thread on this great man's work...I plan to read any books you recommend by him though, so thanks

i have read a hundred years of solitude ...... not a bad book ...... but too much information in there can make one forget earlier details that makes the linking up of all the chapters covers much more refined and in depth ....

still one of the best novels i have read .....

Fashion Yaa
3rd April 2011, 04:39 AM
Ohhh weee those are my steez Quophi....if you read my earlier posts, you probably saw my review of The Hemings's of Montecello by Annette Gordon Reade, it too has a smorgishborg of info so I think I will read a hundred years of solitude after finishing powder necklace. THanks =)
i have read a hundred years of solitude ...... not a bad book ...... but too much information in there can make one forget earlier details that makes the linking up of all the chapters covers much more refined and in depth ....

still one of the best novels i have read .....

Fashion Yaa
8th April 2011, 11:23 PM
I have not written in a while because the book is very emotional for me to read, would you believe Im just barely finishing page 38/280 ....here is a memorable quote from the book, the main charactor Lila has arrived in Kumasi after her mum sends her off

on passing roadside businesses. ONLY JESUS, one lorry evangelized...Thy Will Be Done Hair Salon...In Ghana[religion]spilled into every crevice of life like a soft drink that had been shaken before its cap was twisted off. Its contents had sprayed liquid sugar glue everywhere. This wasn't even religion, I decided. It was faith. Only faith could see God in the shoe- and car-eating red dirt roads, the .....Only faith could wake up early to go to church and praise God amid all that.

Quophi Aletse
8th April 2011, 11:39 PM
I have not written in a while because the book is very emotional for me to read, would you believe Im just barely finishing page 38/280 ....here is a memorable quote from the book, the main charactor Lila has arrived in Kumasi after her mum sends her off

lololol nice quote .... but wat has transpired so far in the book ..... ??

Fashion Yaa
9th April 2011, 12:06 AM
Lila was getting intimidated by area boys in her London neighborhood so a good friend of her's started walking her home and at the same time she let him hang out in her house. She never told her mum about any of this and when her mum came home to find this boy in her house, all hell broke loose. Her mum immidiately made arrangements for Lila to go to Ghana for fear that she could become promiscuous.

Quophi Aletse
9th April 2011, 12:16 AM
Lila was getting intimidated by area boys in her London neighborhood so a good friend of her's started walking her home and at the same time she let me hang out in her house. She never told her mum about any of this and when her mum came home to find this boy in her house, all hell broke loose. Her mum immidiately made arrangements for Lila to go to Ghana for fear that she could become promiscuous. ...lololol sound interesting ..... no more from you fashon yaa .... will read it

Fashion Yaa
9th April 2011, 03:25 AM
=] it was funny reading that part for me as well, I look forward to you reading it as well Quophi Aleste.....after reading this Im gonna read the new unauthorized biography of Malcom X written by a historian who recently passed away....any way lets keep up this book club

Fashion Yaa
10th April 2011, 09:23 PM
alright, I'll pipe down for a while but she re-named one of the famous Ghanaian schools founded by Nkrumah as "Dadaba Secondary School" and laments that many of the students at Ghana International School are being raised athiests......its a page turner FOR SURE
...lololol sound interesting ..... no more from you fashon yaa .... will read it