PDA

View Full Version : To Hell And Back In 14 Years- Gemann's Prison Story

Neo
22nd March 2011, 07:58 PM
http://photos.peacefmonline.com/photos/news/201103/947819421_460005.png
After spending 14 years in prison; seven of those on life and the other seven years on death row, one would think that this man would be extremely sober and very quite by now, but no, not G'Love Gemann!

Ghana Music.com, your authoritative news source on Ghanaian music caught up with this Ghanaian musician whose rise to fame in the late 80's and early 90's was meteoric and asked him about how he felt to have escaped the death penalty. Listen to The Blood by Gemann

Now preferring to be called G'Love Gemann, the musician and death penalty survivor who's now turned preacher, attributes his escape from death by hanging to his encounter with Jesus Christ during his years spent on death row in respective prisons in Ghana.

Gemann, whose parents are Amoo and Augusta Agyemang, started working seriously at developing his talents for music and dance into a career when in 1986 he recorded his first album in the United kingdom.

This debut album was called BMW; Be-My-Wife. Since that first album, the musician has had a series of other successful releases which included hit albums like Hip Hop The Jungle, The Dancing Man, which was released in 1992 in the Netherlands, and God is Love which was recorded in the Nsawam Medium security prison in 2003 and released in Ghana.

Prior to all this musical feats, in the year 1984, G'Love Gemann made some inroads in the professional dance arena when he won the Michael Jackson Look Alike/ Dance Contest in New York and became the first and only Ghanaian to attain this. Another feather was added to his cap when he became the first person to ever win the national dance champion in Ghana in the year 1980.

He then went on to win the Ghana National Dance Championships two more consecutive times in 1981 and 1982.

At this time, the prolific Dancer/Musician was making plans to delve into the movie making industry... little did he know that this new venture was never to be. This was because on the 9th of January 1995 G'Love Gemann was sentenced to death by hanging after an Accra High court found him guilty of shooting to death a taxi driver.

The musician was arguing with the driver over payment after the said driver had ferried a friend of Gemann to the musician's house.

The life of this young artiste came crashing down before his own eyes as this wasn't the future he had envisaged. After almost a decade and half behind bars and living with the shadow of death continually hanging over his head. The musician turned preacher walked out of the jaws of death in January 9, 2009. Jail brings out both the best and worst of the human nature and G'Love Gemann is no exception to this rule of life.

Seven years came and went and death never knocked on Gemann's door, it was as though time had forgotten about him or luck kept him in its good books. In his own words however, his experience had nothing to do with luck, rather it was all part of God's plan for his life. Prison is where the musician met God and it also became the venue where he first started sharing and preaching Christ to his fellow inmates.

For some people, prison is not a place to stay overly positive minded, yet Gemann's case was the absolute opposite. For him, it was during his early days in prison that he met Jesus Christ and decided to devote the remainder of his life to the pursuit of a stronger relationship with God.

Prior to doing jail time, Gemann maintains he did not have a solid relationship with God until after prison. During his hard and trying 14 years of incarceration, the preacher-musician started propagating the gospel of Christ within the confines of his prison walls, he always beamed with light and life based on a revelation he received in prison in which God assured him of his release from confinement at an appointed time.

Knowledge of this revelation from God with the promise of his release from prison is what kept him going on with hope and stronger faith. He had always known since he encountered God in prison that he was going to walk out of his unfortunate confinement.

The fact that he didn't know when and how it was going to happen didn't prevent him from continually exercising his faith in God. To him, everyday in jail was a preparation towards his release, no matter how undetermined that day was, it was always expected.

It is therefore no surprise that the date 01/09/2009 is one which is engrained in the mind of Gemann for the simple reason being that, it was on this day that he first stepped out of prison as a truly free man!

The pastor who has been on preaching assignments with Presbyterian Churches in Ghana is currently preaching in Ghanaian churches across the USA while he also feverishly works on his new album to be released in May of 2011 in the USA.

The album which is called G-14 is metaphorical of the 14 years the musician spent in Jail; it also has 14 tracks which is quite symbolic as well. All the songs on the G-14 album were written while on death row, in the musician's opinion, this yet to be released album is his greatest work yet.

Gemann is now single and looking to get married again provided he finds a good woman. Pastor G'Love Gemann also has daughter who turned twenty in 2011 and two brothers of which one is also a preacher. Gemann presently lives with his sister in Texas USA and is also the CEO of a Christian internet radio station based in Texas called Gloveradio.com

Source: Oral Ofori/Ghana Music.com

Chapati
23rd March 2011, 04:35 AM
God really works in mysterious ways. i pray he stays the way he is now. all the best gemann

CuTiEbABy
23rd March 2011, 01:45 PM
All the best to him. God doesn't see what we as humans see and usually it is the rejected stone that he takes, polishes up and use to glorify his name.

He really has come far and I thank God for his life and wish him well.

Pope Bitterz D'Alomo
23rd March 2011, 03:29 PM
His story will make for a good Life Time Movie

Q' lypse
23rd March 2011, 06:57 PM
God really works in mysterious ways. i pray he stays the way he is now. all the best gemann

you can't say that about the taxi driver who ended up with a bullet in his face right?

Q' lypse
23rd March 2011, 07:02 PM
His story will make for a good Life Time Movie

it will be a little harder to do... Killing of that taxi driver was the worst move of his life. How could you just pull a gun arguing with a driver over some fare? I felt sorry for Jagger P... He almost received the same damn sentence because he was with him. Imagine travelling with a friend who packs a gat, an issue arises and he pulls out his glock and shoots someone in the face.. Goddamn! I mean, in the mid 90s in Ghana, why are you walking around with a gun? WTF. Gun? In Ghana? Cops hardly carry guns and you, a civilian? Thinking this is the ghetto or something?

Q' lypse
23rd March 2011, 07:04 PM
All the best to him. God doesn't see what we as humans see and usually it is the rejected stone that he takes, polishes up and use to glorify his name.

He really has come far and I thank God for his life and wish him well.

can you thank this god for the taxi driver's life and his family as well? Why is everyone talking like this and forgetting what he did to that man who never threw a punch at him? Or perhaps this is how the world works

CuTiEbABy
23rd March 2011, 08:36 PM
can you thank this god for the taxi driver's life and his family as well? Why is everyone talking like this and forgetting what he did to that man who never threw a punch at him? Or perhaps this is how the world works

Why am I not surprised that you pulled up this issue?

In thanking God for Gemann's life doesn't mean supporting or condoning what he did. He was wrong in shooting the taxi driver but as we talk now, condemning him will not change anything.

He has learnt a lot from that incident and we are thankful to God that after all he did, he has repented of it. Some kill for the fun of it and don't see nothing wrong in killing their fellow humans but in this case it isn't so.

Besides, this article wasn't about the taxi driver who died and his family so why should we be talking about him?

Q' lypse
23rd March 2011, 10:24 PM
Why am I not surprised that you pulled up this issue?

In thanking God for Gemann's life doesn't mean supporting or condoning what he did. He was wrong in shooting the taxi driver but as we talk now, condemning him will not change anything.

He has learnt a lot from that incident and we are thankful to God that after all he did, he has repented of it. Some kill for the fun of it and don't see nothing wrong in killing their fellow humans but in this case it isn't so.

Besides, this article wasn't about the taxi driver who died and his family so why should we be talking about him?

this topic is about how he ended up in jail in the 1st place... He talks about this 14yrs as if he was wrongfully accused of a crime..Sounding all Stanley Tooke.....

Q' lypse
24th March 2011, 10:29 AM
Ok relax guys…. I just had to play the devil’s advocate and see what y’all gotta say. But at the same time could it be that I’m mad at a childhood hero or something like that? I’m really messing around… When I saw all the soft one sided comments I was reading and nobody could say anything about what he did that got him locked up I thought why not play the other opposite card? About 6 years ago I heard on South African radio that a former Liberian Military General who ordered the death of about 20,000 people during the civil war in his country is now a freaking pastor in Ghana. I didn’t want to see G’man’s story go that way. Forgiveness, wonderful, now he's preaching, we thank God etc etc.

Karma is something that plays rows in everyone’s life and we can’t get away with it no matter what. It’s not a punishment, its harvest. Paul said it, you reap what you sow. It doesn’t have to be in this life. Many people believe that we live one life and that’s it, its over. If that was the case then the creator’s creation is full of mistakes. Most of us have lived long enough to see that justice doesn’t always prevail, the world is unfair or life is unfair as we usually say. The person who ordered and sent some people to shoot my uncle in the neck and is now paralysed is likely enjoying life and the shooter is probably doing more damage to other people. When you are born with all 4 limbs and someone is born blind or in childhood ends up in some accident, his leg cut off, we usually see it as cruel but we don’t know what lies beneath. What the meaning of such incident is. When one is born into poverty in some ghetto and when another is born into the British royal family, don’t you ask why? Do you actually think that you were born by accident?

When I heard of this Liberian pastor ex butcher, I took the topic to ghweb’s osofo joint for discussions. The Christians like some ardent political party supporters supporting their members and policies said 'oh, God will forgive this man’s sins.
Not on my di.ck, I flipped!
20,000 people? That is like wiping out the population of my home town Agona Ashanti out 5 times over!
Do you know the number of families this guy has destroyed and now hiding behind a holy book thinking it’s all good? He can never get away with it. Many medical doctors today were soldiers in previous lives, killing, torturing etc etc. Now they are in this life to give back to the Universe or God what they took away from it. That is, healing people, reliving them of pain. The exact opposite of what they did. Does reincarnation make a bit of sense now? One past life hypnotic subject had this heart surgeon who recalled a previous life when he was a priest in the Aztec culture. He cut people’s hearts out to sacrifice to the gods. Now he heals hearts, he repairs them. You can never judge because you don’t know why a soul chooses to go through what they are going through in life now. Back to G’man.. below............

Q' lypse
24th March 2011, 11:21 AM
Im a huge fan of G’man's. Probably the biggest fan compared to y’all :). I loved him big time. As I saw his photo above, his song, 'come on now the sun is shinning high,…come on, you will have a good time….this is hilife..calipso then... sunshine music...lets come together to the...... is playing in my head…I can't remember the lyrics and I miss hearing it.

Back in the 80s, I remember it was around 86 when I was living with my aunt and family at tech campus… G’man was performing at the Great Hall…

http://i54.tinypic.com/34ike47.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/nl1m6e.jpg

I was about 6 then and I had never seen anything like that before. I loved his music and seeing him break-dancing on stage.. wow. I was more impressed with the stage lighting effects that made it look like he was actually doing ‘slow motion’ in real life. Some of his songs were Kwadwo Antwi’s oldies. The song 'may3 Osaman' stuck in my head. I used to think he sang it first. It was great. It was a time of Kojo Antwi and a few musicians used to be kings.. Ben Brako, Pozo Hayes and a few others... Years before Lumba and Nana Acheampong hit the scene with oy3 aka akwentuom, Theresa eh Theresa eh Theresa abr3br3s3 etc.. Good times good times...

Some years after that I moved to Asafo Kumasi to live with my parents.. I was told that Agyeman aka G'man lived in Dadiesoaba, this is where he came from (Cutie, you know this place right), just where Asafo fitam is… Dadiesoaba is only 5 mins walk from where my family house is.

My family is the house on the left

http://i55.tinypic.com/hrwxly.jpg

walk down this street

http://i51.tinypic.com/xeg5l0.jpg

On the left, you turn where the yellow van is parked

http://i54.tinypic.com/1625obk.jpg

Walking upward, Dadiesoaba is just up ahead

http://i56.tinypic.com/veauzl.jpg

Right after Dadaesoaba is Amakom. This street on the left takes you straight to Moonlight. The place I went to devour emotuo lol

http://i51.tinypic.com/6yfbl4.jpg

That made me happier because one of my favourite Ghanaian musicians is actually an Asafo boy. In 95, it hit me. G’man has shot a taxi driver in the face?! I was horrified, hurt and confused. How could he do that? Why? I was hoping the driver would survive. But nope, that wasn’t the case, he was dead. I read every newspaper that talked about this case. Jagger P being one of my favoirte and funniest actors in Ghana was with him when this incident happened. The driver apparently took sand from where G’man stood, threatened to curse him… G’man pulled a pistol and shot him. Jagger P was being accused as an accomplice. Ehi what is going on? G’man now Jagger?? All the laughs I had, that tv show about a bunch of Secondary school students and their bad boy ways in school, their interaction with their teachers, giving them a hard time… this is all going down the drain? Oh my goodness! Bleak! Bleak man! The worse was seeing pictures in news papers of G’man losing his jerry curls, they shaved them all off in prison… A good looking man, a star now looking all rough, depleted. It hurt. Then I knew it was over… Everytime I heard about him that he’s ok on jail it hurt me but I was glad he was still alive…Last time I heard about him, he was training people in prison to become musicians. I was hoping they release him. We are missing a great talent. My thoughts were, when when when?

Its been a while….. Im glad to see him out.. I miss his music, he simply vanished but I still have good memories about him. If he's chosen a Christian path, and he thinks that is good for him, good for him. I'm still a huge fan.

Whenever I'm in Ghana, I visit the places that I hold dear to my heart, pleasant memories.. Like Great Hall where not only did I attended Sunday school every Sunday but also saw G'man perform, saw a couple of concerts of the Obra Akan drama group. Maame Dokonu, David Dontoh, Odompo etc etc..

http://i55.tinypic.com/34nfgah.jpg

Quophi Aletse
30th March 2011, 12:10 AM
you can't say that about the taxi driver who ended up with a bullet in his face right?

lololololol ..... eiiii amankwaaa kwaku q'lypse ..... maybe the taxi driver's mission was to give gemann an opportunity to look within himself which is going to prison for 14 years (who knows) .....

but it is an interesting story though .... shows that life is constantly changing, life is change itself .....

Quophi Aletse
30th March 2011, 12:57 AM
Ok relax guys…. I just had to play the devil’s advocate and see what y’all gotta say. But at the same time could it be that I’m mad at a childhood hero or something like that? I’m really messing around… When I saw all the soft one sided comments I was reading and nobody could say anything about what he did that got him locked up I thought why not play the other opposite card? About 6 years ago I heard on South African radio that a former Liberian Military General who ordered the death of about 20,000 people during the civil war in his country is now a freaking pastor in Ghana. I didn’t want to see G’man’s story go that way. Forgiveness, wonderful, now he's preaching, we thank God etc etc.
lololol i think u have some trapped emotions that has not been dealt with/released about your childhood hero g'man .... lololololololololololol
RELEASE AM Q .... RELEASE AM .... lol

Karma is something that plays rows in everyone’s life and we can’t get away with it no matter what. It’s not a punishment, its harvest. Paul said it, you reap what you sow. It doesn’t have to be in this life. Many people believe that we live one life and that’s it, its over. If that was the case then the creator’s creation is full of mistakes. Most of us have lived long enough to see that justice doesn’t always prevail, the world is unfair or life is unfair as we usually say. The person who ordered and sent some people to shoot my uncle in the neck and is now paralysed is likely enjoying life and the shooter is probably doing more damage to other people. When you are born with all 4 limbs and someone is born blind or in childhood ends up in some accident, his leg cut off, we usually see it as cruel but we don’t know what lies beneath. What the meaning of such incident is. When one is born into poverty in some ghetto and when another is born into the British royal family, don’t you ask why? Do you actually think that you were born by accident?
... true that ...... There is so much going on energetically that a vast majority of us are oblivious to ...... who is to say that the taxi driver's mission was to co-creation a situation whose aftermath will propel with enormous amount of energy to let the g'man look within self and examine the programs/processes he was running at that moment ..... life is very multidimensional ...... what u see with ur eyes in the world is not even up to 10% of what is going on

When I heard of this Liberian pastor ex butcher, I took the topic to ghweb’s osofo joint for discussions. The Christians like some ardent political party supporters supporting their members and policies said 'oh, God will forgive this man’s sins.
Not on my di.ck, I flipped!
20,000 people? That is like wiping out the population of my home town Agona Ashanti out 5 times over!
Do you know the number of families this guy has destroyed and now hiding behind a holy book thinking it’s all good? He can never get away with it. Many medical doctors today were soldiers in previous lives, killing, torturing etc etc. Now they are in this life to give back to the Universe or God what they took away from it. That is, healing people, reliving them of pain. The exact opposite of what they did. Does reincarnation make a bit of sense now? One past life hypnotic subject had this heart surgeon who recalled a previous life when he was a priest in the Aztec culture. He cut people’s hearts out to sacrifice to the gods. Now he heals hearts, he repairs them. You can never judge because you don’t know why a soul chooses to go through what they are going through in life now. Back to G’man.. below............ ...... lololol .... are u venting? lololol but righteous is the bold .... but will onipa dasani(human being) let go of judgment.