PDA

View Full Version : Embassy: No Ghanaian Dead In Japan Earthquake And Tsunami



Neo
15th March 2011, 04:40 AM
Ghana’s Mission in Japan says no Ghanaian life has been lost in the Friday March 11, 2011 earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan. The disaster is said to be the worst since the World War 2 bombings of Nagasaki and Hiroshima. Japanese police have so far confirmed close to 2,000 deaths, but the final toll is expected to be much higher.

Tens of thousands of people have also been evacuated from the area around the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, which has been rocked by two explosions after the earthquake.

Minister Consular at Ghana’s Embassy in Japan, Bonaventure Adjavor told Citi News the mission is closely monitoring the situation and no Ghanaian casualty has so far been recorded. “Everybody is fine according to our reports," he told Citi News. "There is no casualty of a Ghanaian reported to us at the moment”. “So far none of the calls we’ve received contains reports of loss of life or damage to property."

Mr. Adjavor indicated that about one thousand nine hundred Ghanaians are living in Japan and “we’ve put up notices to all Ghanaians, asking them to give us information so that the embassy can take action.”

Most Ghanaians living in Japan are scattered across that country and Mr. Adjavor adds that “they are in groups and associations and we’re in touch with the leaders of all the associations”.



Source: citifmonline.com