PDA

View Full Version : Essien Risks Denting Global Image Over ‘Father’s Neglect’ - Expert

Neo
14th March 2011, 02:10 AM
http://photos.peacefmonline.com/photos/news/201103/15082933_244057.jpg
A Public Relations expert and Vice President of the Institute of Public Relations, Perry Ofosu, says Chelsea midfielder Michael Essien must, as a matter of urgency, resolve the differences with his father or risk denting his international reputation.

Michael Essien’s father, James Essien, has threatened to sue the footballer, if he continues to use the name Essien. Mr. James Essien says his son has failed to cater for him in his old age, and fuming with rage, he has ordered him to stop using the name Essien, which he gave to him at birth.

He blamed Michael Essien’s mother for his present predicament as he accused the woman of sowing seeds of discord between him and his son. He said for more than 10 years, he had never heard from his son, saying the mother has asked Michael not to bother about him.

“Michael’s mother says I did not take care of Michael; so if I didn’t take care of Michael, then my name Essien should not be used. I will take Michael to court.” He has since disowned his son and declared “I want the whole world to know that Essien is not my son” the embittered father said.

A few months ago, the father was in the media soliciting for support to take care of his medical bills; and moved by compassion, the Board chairman of Berekum Chelsea Football Club, Emmanuel Kyeremeh decided to remit Essien’s father occasionally.

Some lawyers have said the elder Essien could be fighting a lost battle in court since the name 'Essien' does not belong to him. They argue that the name was inherited by (Mr. James Essien) from his ancestors.

Lovers of the footballer have urged him not to give heed to his father’s threats and concentrate on his career. But a Public Relations expert believes Essien risks his reputation if he ignores the frail looking old man.

Mr. Perry Owusu told Citi News Essien must act quickly to put the issue to rest in order to protect his image. “Michael Essien has made a name for himself in his career. It is dangerous for him to lose the reputation so he needs to protect it because that is what will make people do business with him. He has to quickly think about how to get his father on the drawing board to accept him and to rescind his decision. One thing that he can do is probably to come down and get some respectable people that his father respects so much, sit down with them and strategize”.

“It is also important that his mother comes in because she has been accused by the father of pushing this agenda. My interest has to do with the effect this could have on him if he fails to handle it well. He is so young and needs to carry himself in a certain manner because he has already put himself in a certain light” he noted.

The story about the bitterness between father and son was made public by the father two years ago. Young Essien, who felt his reputation is being ruined unfairly, issued a statement which read in part:

“I have faced many difficult challenges in my life but this is the hardest thing I have ever done as my heart bleeds over the false statements recently peddled by a small section of the Ghanaian media goaded by my own father.”

Michael Essien enumerated a number of things he had done for the father which included building a three-bedroom house for him, monthly remittances and the purchase of a car.

Source: citifmonline.com

Fashion Yaa
14th March 2011, 05:39 AM
okay so what is Essien's middle name maybe this is not so bad....Michael Kojo that works Kojo is already a famous last name ie Boris Kodjo, Angelique Kidjo....there are athlets who change thier name like that Brazillian who changed his name to HULK whilst playing in Japan and now plays for Barcelona(i think) then of course American football player Chad OCHOCINCO who changed his real name to the spanish language version of 85 his jersey number

Q' lypse
14th March 2011, 09:46 AM
where did the name Essien come from? Did it not come from Mike's father's father and on and on? what a load of nonsense

Pope Bitterz D'Alomo
14th March 2011, 01:47 PM
The media houses are making a big deal out of nothing. In fact Michael owes his father jack diddley squat! If i were him i will just stick with the name Michael of create my own last name or go with Fashionista's idea. Michael whatever his day of birth name is.

Michael Michael isn't bad at all. Michael's image wont suffer as these newspaper hawkers are saying it would. So long as he stays calm and focused on his game and doesn't get himself embroiled in scandals like his team mates,he'll do just fine.
This reminds me of the Shaquille O'Neal case where his father shows up after smelling millions of dollars from Shaq's NBA deals.

A'holes, being a ****** donor doesn't simple make one a father. If James Essien says he's withdrawing his paternal rights he must as well move out of the house Michael built for him,the car he is driven in and the financial assistance he receives every month.

Pope Bitterz D'Alomo
14th March 2011, 01:49 PM
where did the name Essien come from? Did it not come from Mike's father's father and on and on? what a load of nonsense

Don't mind that sick old man.

Pope Bitterz D'Alomo
14th March 2011, 01:51 PM
okay so what is Essien's middle name maybe this is not so bad....Michael Kojo that works Kojo is already a famous last name ie Boris Kodjo, Angelique Kidjo....there are athlets who change thier name like that Brazillian who changed his name to HULK whilst playing in Japan and now plays for Barcelona(i think) then of course American football player Chad OCHOCINCO who changed his real name to the spanish language version of 85 his jersey number

I am with you Fashionista. Michael Cinco will be a nice name or better yet Michaelinho lol

ps HULK plays for FC Porto

Fashion Yaa
15th March 2011, 04:44 AM
Exactly I think the so called experts have small minds. To be frank Essien is not as wel known in the states the way David Beckham is as far as "branding" is concerned so I think his worth is severely inflated(hold your horses) I know he has endorsement deals like Tiger Woods and co but so long has he has not hit the USA Canada market, he has nothing to loose from this bit of unfortunate news.

I agree with you in that its so typical of other dead beat fathers who come out of the rock to mash up the place
The media houses are making a big deal out of nothing. In fact Michael owes his father jack diddley squat! If i were him i will just stick with the name Michael of create my own last name or go with Fashionista's idea. Michael whatever his day of birth name is.

Michael Michael isn't bad at all. Michael's image wont suffer as these newspaper hawkers are saying it would. So long as he stays calm and focused on his game and doesn't get himself embroiled in scandals like his team mates,he'll do just fine.
This reminds me of the Shaquille O'Neal case where his father shows up after smelling millions of dollars from Shaq's NBA deals.

A'holes, being a ****** donor doesn't simple make one a father. If James Essien says he's withdrawing his paternal rights he must as well move out of the house Michael built for him,the car he is driven in and the financial assistance he receives every month.

Fashion Yaa
15th March 2011, 04:46 AM
Thanks for the correction, okay FC Porto yeah thats him, I was so impressed that he took on the name his fans nicknamed him....perhaps Michael El Bison could work or yeah why not Michaelinho(afterall thats who we know him from when he played in the under 17 or was it under 20 WC in Brazil)

I am with you Fashionista. Michael Cinco will be a nice name or better yet Michaelinho lol

ps HULK plays for FC Porto

Fashion Yaa
15th March 2011, 04:48 AM
I think this James Essien should be deported to Nigeria where he originates and leave our son of Ghana alone, if he don't want him there are hundreds or millions of responsible fathers willing to be in his place

Pope Bitterz D'Alomo
15th March 2011, 02:13 PM
We should organize a re-naming ceremony for baby Michael haha. This will make for a good TV reality show. Michael Searches For A new Last Name hahahahahahaha

Fashion Yaa
15th March 2011, 08:28 PM
Oh GoSH...lets do it...if GTV won't air it then radaronline.com can be presented with the reality show idea....Love it thats's whats up Pope. =)