PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a good Intro to Psych book

Fashion Yaa
11th March 2011, 07:04 PM
Im in bad need of advice or even a tutor to help me ace my next Psych exam

Q' lypse
13th March 2011, 09:28 PM

Are you serious? How can you be doing psychology without a recommended book? Something doesn't add up here.. hmm

Quophi Aletse
13th March 2011, 10:48 PM

can u be specific on psych exam u are about to write fashion yaa? ....

Experimental Psychology
Abnormal Psychology
Developmental Psychology
Personality Psychology

........ or u are being test on all the subs areas of psych, a general psych test????

anyways from the many psych classes i have taken, reading the recommended book is enough .....

Fashion Yaa
13th March 2011, 11:37 PM
I have the recommended book, read all the required chapters and still managed to only get a mediocore score WHICH PISSED ME OFF, I had to do extra credit to prop back up to an A in the class.

This is why I wanted to read another book to help....I'll be okay thanks though
Are you serious? How can you be doing psychology without a recommended book? Something doesn't add up here.. hmm

Fashion Yaa
13th March 2011, 11:41 PM
Its a general psych class. Intro to Psych.

The next exam will be on Sensitivity & Perception, Health Stress & Coping.

Got any thoughts on these topics?

Good looking out in advance .QUOTE=Quophi Aletse;10657]can u be specific on psych exam u are about to write fashion yaa? ....

Experimental Psychology
Abnormal Psychology
Developmental Psychology
Personality Psychology

........ or u are being test on all the subs areas of psych, a general psych test????

anyways from the many psych classes i have taken, reading the recommended book is enough .....[/QUOTE]

Q' lypse
14th March 2011, 08:04 AM
Ok I get you now.... You do know that you are asking for a lot of reading right? I have to look for some of my 2nd year text books, I'm hoping to find what I'm looking for, some woman came to borrow like half of them. But I gotta warn you though, my books are usually South African based. If you are in the US, you will be looking at different authors.

Fashion Yaa
15th March 2011, 04:36 AM
not to worry, i have membership to several libraries and would not have a hard time finding a copy out here. Good looking out Q

Fashion Yaa
15th March 2011, 04:36 AM
please provide the name and i should be set. if you don't find them well, thanks for trying.....i love to read so its all good

Quophi Aletse
15th March 2011, 06:17 AM
Psychology: from inquiry to understanding

http://static.booko.com.au/images/covers/4/6/0/2/9780205832064.jpg

Preface Prologue: How Psychology Became a Science
Science and Pseudoscience in Psychology: Skills For Thinking Scientifically in Everyday Life
Research Methods: Safeguards against Error
Biological Psychology: The Brain Body Communication Superhighway
Sensation and Perception: How We Sense and Conceptualize the World
Consciousness: Expanding the Boundaries of Psychological Inquiry
Learning: How Nurture Changes Us
Memory: Constructing and Reconstructing Our Pasts
Language, Thinking, and Reasoning: Getting Inside Our Talking Heads
Intelligence and IQ Testing: Controversy and Consensus
Human Development: How and Why We Change
Emotion and Motivation: What Moves Us
Stress, Coping, and Health: The Mind Body Interconnection
Social Psychology: How Others Affect Us
Personality: Who We Are
Psychological Disorders: When Adaptation Fails
Psychological and Biological Treatments: Helping People Change
References
Glossary
Name Index
Subject Index

it covers the topics u stated above ....

was looking for a pdf for u but i couldnt because of it being a new addition to general introductory psychology ......

Fashion Yaa
15th March 2011, 08:36 PM
Nice. thanks a million

Fashion Yaa
15th March 2011, 08:42 PM
I just found an instructors version and ordered it so thanks a million Quophi Aleste =)

Q' lypse
15th March 2011, 09:23 PM
cheeei quophi and pdf. lol.

Unfortunately I gave my text books to that woman. Yaa eh, you have to do is consider the book quophi has suggested but look through the contents first to see the number of pages the topics you've stated above cover. If they seem shorter than the rest of the topics in the book, its not worth it.

Quophi Aletse
16th March 2011, 04:27 AM

Unfortunately I gave my text books to that woman. Yaa eh, you have to do is consider the book quophi has suggested but look through the contents first to see the number of pages the topics you've stated above cover. If they seem shorter than the rest of the topics in the book, its not worth it.

lolololol as for me and pdf de3 only god knows ..... i had old psychology books on pdf for the psych classes i took but i lost them when i clean the comp koraa ..... lololol

Quophi Aletse
16th March 2011, 04:32 AM
I just found an instructors version and ordered it so thanks a million Quophi Aleste =)

yaa u buying the book???? i thought u were going to borrow it at a library .....

anyways how are u being tested on the material, multiple choice or short answers or both....... or essay

Q' lypse
16th March 2011, 09:34 AM
yaa u buying the book???? i thought u were going to borrow it at a library .....

p3p33 paa ni lool

Fashion Yaa
16th March 2011, 01:26 PM
Great advice Q'lypse, that is one thing i have noticed about some of the textbooks on Intro to Psych at the library, some go in detail about founding fathers/mothers of the subject while others are theory based. My professor is a bit old school and wants his students to know both....the problem is when he lectures I only get his practice of psychology(he's a Psychiatrist which means he can prescribe drugs to patients) but then on the exam it seemed the book he provided is not a great enough tool

To whichthe prof admits citing that we are only using this book because students complained that his provious required texts have chapters that are too long =/ anyway my mission is to ace this class and Im on my merry way to doing so....so thanks in advance for the advice

Quophi Aletse
16th March 2011, 03:27 PM
p3p33 paa ni lool

lolol tweaaaaaaa ..... i have about 70% percent of my pdf books in hard cover also

i like the electronic books because i can carry a variety of books with me anywhere with minimal space occupancy which carrying them hard covers will be cumbersome

Q' lypse
16th March 2011, 06:52 PM
you are welcome Yaa :-)

Ehi quophi nono lol

Fashion Yaa
22nd March 2011, 06:45 AM
I think i might want to follow that PDF route as well or get a Kindle or Nook or wte...the book arrived 3 days ago and I have to admit its more detailed than my required text and hella cheaper too. but both books are hella heavy to carry....

in any case thanks again