PDA

View Full Version : Renting out / selling property in Accra.

Melinda
15th February 2011, 01:44 PM
Hi, Im new here and looking for some advice/ encouragement really! :)

Ive been given the responsibility to sell/ rent out some property in Accra.
Im in the US, and a visit wont be possible until much later in the year. So Im trying to find out how other people deal with property in Ghana from overseas.

Do people generally rely on family and friends, or are more people relying on Real Estate Agents? Is there a national register of accredited real estate agencies?

Google gave me a very long list of companies, but Id like to get a general opinion on how to avoid pitfalls before talking to a company I dont know.

Sorry for all the questions, but Im at the start of looking into this and need as much advice as possible.

Neo
15th February 2011, 03:27 PM
Hey Melinda, a big welcome to the forum.

I think it would be best to rely on people you know in Ghana who are trustworthy (that's not to say they cannot disappoint). They would do a far better job than most of the cowboy companies there operating as legit businesses.

If it is a big investment initiative or property, i would advise you to bite the bone and visit Ghana. You would get a good picture of how things work there. Better than remote controlling your business accross the Atlantic.

Melinda
19th February 2011, 01:45 PM
Hi Neo, thanks for responding I appreciate it. :)

Sadly I have no trustworthy family in Ghana to rely on. Anyone I can trust just doesnt have the skills to carry out the task.
Removing family from the equation will cause offence, but I will be able to work more simply and quickly without interference and gossip.

I made a few enquiries earlier this week and unsurprisingly Ive already been contacted by a couple of cowboys.
I knew it would happen and Im rather sad and annoyed by it.

My concern is that even when I come to Ghana, I will be in the same position, forced to trust people I dont know with property and important business decisions. I was hoping to work through recommendation.

Melinda
23rd February 2011, 03:20 PM
An awful lot of views but no more comments! :)

An honest real estate agent in Accra cant be such an extraordinary thing, surely!?

Pope Bitterz D'Alomo
23rd February 2011, 03:30 PM
There are many accredited real estate developers than there are accredited agents( i doubt if there are accredited agents at all). You could try contacting someone via http://www.gredaghana.org/greda/default.asp

syc
23rd February 2011, 04:19 PM
An awful lot of views but no more comments! :)

An honest real estate agent in Accra cant be such an extraordinary thing, surely!?

You would be surprised ;)

Its doesnt really appear like you have a lot of options. His Excellency Neo actually covered most of it, plus you got that nice topping from Honourable Sir Pope.

Most of these cowboys usually manage to get the job done one way or the other. At least they provide some experience, which you are gonna need here.
And whoever you work with, you are still gonna have to trust them somehow,.. well only as far as you can throw them ;)
Goodluck

Chapati
23rd February 2011, 10:14 PM
Yea Neo was right.

Melinda
24th February 2011, 12:19 PM
Cheers for the replies and the laughs guys! :D

Pope thanks very much for the link too. Ive contacted the site and Im waiting for a response.

No doubt I'll come back for opinions on prices and rents too! :)