PDA

View Full Version : Food Culture Wars

Fashion Yaa
12th January 2011, 10:39 PM
Powder Fufu Versus Pounded Fufu

Here are the instructions for the powdered versions

1. mix all two powdered substances with lil water within the pot that you hope to stir your banku
2. get the mix to a apple-sauce consistancy, then turn on the stove top @ low heat (for slow cooking I have found causes less mistakes and stress) and begin to stir
3. as you stir you'll notice a hardening @ the bottom of the pot, maybe even air-bubbles will star, this will indicate your fufu is ready for more stirring
4. add a lil more water as desired and stir some more, if you can handle the heat then by all means turn the heat of the stove up a notch
5. you will notice the mix turns from apple-sauce to a more clay-like hardness(that can look a bit starchy) fine, this only means you must stir some more and harder/faster until the smoothness of the batch is equal
6. the key to excellent fufu is SMOOTHNESS, so at this juncture, only add water if you feel it will help you in this regard
7. now, as far as presentation, I'd recommend you use a round large soup spoon or something close to that of those small rounded chinese bowls. dab a lil water in the spoon or bowl and lay your fufu in it and start turning it side to side until it is round

------------------------------

Here are directions for the Pounded Fufu

1. Peal the skin/husks off two to four pounds of cassava-aka yucca root as well as plantain-aka platanos
* you can substitute the casava with coco yam-aka mankeni

2. Place in large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until soft (maybe half an hour). Remove pot from heat and with running water. Drain. Remove peels from yams.
*you may chose to add salt or no salt. do it during the pounding process(kosher salt is best) but never boil the salt with the cassava else it will harden
--------------you can pound on your own or use two people--------------
3. Put about a handful at a time in a mortor and mash with pistol-pounding stick(before hand make sure the tip of it was soaked for a while in water), then beat and stir until completely smooth.
4. Shape the fufu into balls and serve immediately with fish/meat soup or any soup. To eat it, tear off a small handful with your fingers and use it to scoop up your meat and sauce.

Pope Bitterz D'Alomo
13th January 2011, 12:15 AM
Fufu is the most stressful dish ever ! lol the things fufu has to go through before it finally finds a home in the stomach, hmm only God knows hahaha

Jaida
13th January 2011, 12:33 AM
I hate the smell of tamale; i hate the whole process of fufu, especially when it's being eaten with palm butter. Lawdy

neoxiang
13th January 2011, 12:37 AM
Chale fufu is my favourite dish oh guys. Fufu and Abenkwan with some badboy mushrooms. I miss Ghana paa. Yaa thanks for sharing this.

Fashion Yaa
13th January 2011, 12:54 AM
Fufu is the most stressful dish ever ! lol the things fufu has to go through before it finally finds a home in the stomach, hmm only God knows hahaha

omg stressful, yes ohhh, i wonder if the pounding method was an excuse for our ancestors to stay well toned, its great aerobics

Fashion Yaa
13th January 2011, 12:57 AM
I hate the smell of tamale; i hate the whole process of fufu, especially when it's being eaten with palm butter. Lawdy

oh gosh i know the fufu you are referring to, i agree when it is at a local spot the smell is horrendous but got to admit when prepared at home its not so bad...i think its the soup, ive heard the tamale fufu with their style of palmnut soup uses a certain type of ball which is found in the bush(these balls are created by insects who role up the excrement-from which animal i don't know-that is green in color)....anyway that may account for the smell

Fashion Yaa
13th January 2011, 12:59 AM
[QUOTE=neoxiang;6814] Fufu and Abenkwan with some badboy mushrooms. [QUOTE]

my eyes are rolling back on, gosh aint had that mix in ages, im about to try that, you welcome Neoxiang