PDA

View Full Version : Good Reads to Consider For the History Buffs

Fashion Yaa
12th December 2010, 09:00 PM
Annette Gordon Reed(pictured below) is the professor who wrote this history book that stems from every imaginable source written on the account of President Jefferson's life-the good, the bad, the not so known and the very well known.

I must warn you, there are two versions of this book, an 800page one then there is a condensed paperback that's 500pages or more. Which ever one you read be prepared to check your encyclopedia to better understand the current events she mentions and also a dictionary would not hurt either, I learned about 10 new words at the end of reading it. :cool:

The premise of THE HEMINGSES OF MONTICELLO concerns the extramarital affairs in the Jefferson family with African-American women, slave women. The book accounts for the lasser faire nature of such exploits as though it was normal, expected even especially if the slave in question was a woman and was an illegitimate child of a fellow slave holder(but of course not in all cases).

President Jefferson married into a family that was relatively richer than his and far more prominent. From this family he inherited a wife, property plus slaves that included the illegitimate children of his father in law. I suppose he simply followed the example of his father in law but to have it with two sisters is just gosh, I was just speechless reading this book. I doubted many of its presented facts but the professor provided nearly 30 pages of footnotes in the appendix portion of the book.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsB5KhHqSJ-i_BRMRFy3JhEV3Ug7ys1qomJGluCzLDZi_79_U4http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVhDQ0YZ-JjumqlXSuFMYzEbjIqWpa-2VR_tQ--L4pSTXIwzapjw

Pope Bitterz D'Alomo
15th December 2010, 03:50 PM
Wow. very insightful. Thanks Fashionista

Fashion Yaa
15th December 2010, 09:25 PM
im glad you like it

Neo
16th December 2010, 05:29 AM
Sounds like a superb read.
I am going to give it a go.
Thanks for sharing Yaa.