PDA

View Full Version : MIDNIGHT: A Gangster Love Story by Sister Souljah

Fashion Yaa
5th December 2010, 07:07 AM
If ever there was a story to truely express the duplicity of the immigrant experience, I feel MIDNIGHT: A Gangster Love Story got it right. First, it is a fictional tale and the writer is not an immigrant. Yet, Souljah presents the life of this immigrant family in New York so beautifully.

There are the usual suspects a watchful mother, responsibilities to the home that is not similar to your peers, working under the radar, immigration issues, falling in love outside your race.

But then there are the unusual issues, a Ninja, a child who decides to work in liew of school with mum's blessings, saving 80,000 cash to purchase a home, and a cliffhanger that leaves you begging for more.

I liked when the character talks about the curious ways his American peers act and how his Sudanese or Muslim upbringing views it. The comoraderie of being with his friends who are christian and a 5 percenter makes you appreciate the idea of cohexistance. Without giving too much of the story away, basically a Sudanese elder is forced to send away his favorite wife alongside his 13yr old son. While in NYC, the son assumes the role of head of household and starts to work when an encounter at a public middle school leaves much to be desired. They continue living thier lives according to the Sudanese Muslim way which is amazingly expressed when the lead character nicknamed Midnight takes on marries a Japanese lady a few years his senior he met while on the job in a chinatown fish shop who does not even speak one word of English yet they fall in love through art soul and all that good stuff. In that winding tale of Midnight you meet a hoodrat who wants him something awful, a good girl in dire circumstances that he has a soft spot for, friends that have been with him through thick and thing, as well as a Sensei that chooses him to be Ninja of which skills he uses to defend the honor of his mother by killing a creepy Jamaican dude with a sword and never gets caught. Believe it or not, there is more, that is way better than the jagged few i've just shared with you. It is a must read, if you can, try the books on tape for a thrilling experience.
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSasfAzV-EdrB17fRjVAnPkI9FCbj8mDkXnvsgJ4DFGFovS4NOSHXnC_-dngAhttp://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFlCtL0NsbbwoueLD_nAj_qiRx4sgmd 9DdUe7OQugL81xU1K6Y

Neo
5th December 2010, 10:36 AM
Great book Fashion. Now you got the answer to the question where i got the Midnight from.

A Clip of Sista Souljah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ciiaTmR0pg&feature=related

Fashion Yaa
5th December 2010, 07:23 PM
cool, a long time ago i remember you told me that in the comments section of GC.

i have not seen this video before but i like it because it presents the way she presents her books, like something grander or bigger without pretense. she is very much aware of the contradictions of living life in America and readily points out all the peculiar rights of living the wrong in her books.

good looking out.

hey did you hear Coldest Winter Ever could become a film one day? Who do you think can play Midnight? If we set the book in Ghana,

Midnight- Akon or Kobi Rana
SanTiago- Majid Michel
Winter- Juliet Ibrahim
Winter's mum- Martha Ankomah

of course none of thes match up age wise but since there seems to be no teen actors in Ghana, i had to go this route.

okay so for the characters in Midnight, again made in Ghana

Midnight-Kobi Rana
his two friends- Richard Gardner, Narsh Smith
his mum- Kalsoume Sinare
his sister- Emoimogen Hogg
The Jamaican- Blakk Rassta
his wifey- since we have no popular Japanese/Korean actresses perhaps Vivian Jill or that girl who played twins from Pretty Queen
The Sensei- we do have one popular Asian on TV, the Chinese guy wearing Kente in the Bitters "shegee" commercial

Fashion Yaa
1st February 2011, 08:34 PM
Okay so the series continutes and the book arrives in April 2011..this is real cool news http://books.simonandschuster.com/Midnight-and-the-Meaning-of-Love/Sister-Souljah/9781439165355