PDA

View Full Version : Essien Must Be Recalled To The Black Stars-Sarpong

Pope Bitterz D'Alomo
26th September 2012, 06:43 AM
http://www.mtnfootball.com/content/EssienToure~1.jpg

Former Liberty Professionals coach JE Sarpong wants fit-again Michael Essien to be recalled into the Ghana national team.

Essien has been impressive in two matches for his new club Real Madrid in the UEFA Champions League and Spanish La Liga.

The 29-year-old is yet to regain his former self after two serious knee injuries nearly ended his career.

On Monday night, he completed his first match of the season in Real Madrid's 2-0 win over Rayo Vellacano.

Essien's recent displays have pushed Sarpong to advocate for his inclusion in the Ghana squad that will play Malawi in Lilongwe next month in the return leg final round 2013 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier.

"I think he (Essien) should immediately be called into the Black Stars," Sarpong told Accra-based Happy FM.

"He has started playing and there is no need for him to stay away. I think the coach should talk to him about returning to the national team with immediate effect.

"Essien is a calm man. He will play at any position that is given him. Even if he comes on a substitute it will be good for him.

"In my candid opinion, we need him in the team and should be as soon as possible."

Essien has not played for Ghana since June 2011 when he featured in a 2012 Nations Cup qualifier against Congo in Kumasi.

He moved to Real Madrid on a season-long loan deal from Chelsea on transfer deadline day.